Love your trekking pole?

Opalblade

I've had 4, from various manufacturers, fail under adverse trail conditions. All of these were similar to the one you posted, in cost and construction. I like the idea of a collapsible hiking pole, and I'm a cheapskate at heart, which is probably why I keep buying the ones from the lower end of the quality scale. The down side to my approach is that, when they fail is when you need the extra support the most. I need to get off my wallet and buy one that's higher quality.

I've been thinking about getting one of these for terrain 3's on up.

I've been eyeballing this one on Amazon, fairly well reviewed and price is right. Probably won't use it enough to warrant getting a really pricey one. How important is shock absorption?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...MX&v=glance

31841J35BJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I JUST ordered that exact one. I'm suppose to get it today and we'll be testing it out in the mountains of Arkansas this weekend. From the reviews it looked like most folks were happy with it.

I've been using trekking poles for years now. I'm so used to them that I feel strange hiking without them. I have used Komperdell poles, Leki and Sports Authority cheapies. None last forever. My current Komperdells are duct taped together because the joints failed (they are 5 years old).

The better poles lasted about 3-4 years before I started to have problems. I can add another year or more to the life with duct tape, though they are no longer fully adjustable or collapsible. The cheapies barely lasted a year. When I say better poles I'm talking the 60-80 dollar range. There are even higher end poles costing up to $150 and I have no experience with them.

Shock absorption. I find shock absorption to be worthless and if my poles have it I keep it off. It not only absorbs shock, it absorbs the energy that you use when you need the support of the pole, particularly on up hills.

Handles. Plastic handles are the worst. In the summer they get slippery. Cork handles are a better. Best handles are the foam handles and best yet are the foam handles that run about a foot down the side of the the pole (see here). This allows you to quickly "shorten" one pole when you are on uneven terrain.

Locks. Flick locks are better than twist logs. Twist locks loosen during the day. It's become a habit with me to check my twist locks every hour while hiking.

I wouldn't say I love my trekking poles, but I do not step on a trail without them, whether its a 1 mile hike over easy terrain or a 10 miler over rugged terrain.

They also come in handy for knocking spider webs out of the way and poking into dark places when looking for geocaches, And for lightweight backpackers they can double as a tarp pole at night.

I use two poles. I've found using one to be of limited value. As long as you can endure the "where is the snow?" jokes that nearly every passing hiker seems to lay on you, two poles are the way to go.

Edited by briansnat

I've been eyeballing this one on Amazon, fairly well reviewed and price is right. Probably won't use it enough to warrant getting a really pricey one. How important is shock absorption?

Most people who use trekking poles recommend using a pair. I have a pair of EMS-branded Komperdell poles that I use for hiking, backpacking, and geocaching. They are around 7 years old and still work great. You will get what you pay for with trekking poles and I definitely recommend a basic model from either Leki or Komperdell. You shouldn't need shock absorbers for your purposes.

Things like compasses and thermometers are gimmicks that are included to make a cheap product seem better than it is. If you really need to buy something inexpensive, I'd recommend going to Target or Walmart where you can look at how the poles are made, how they work, and how comfortable the grips feel.

Light weight, collapsible, inexpensive... great attributes... but at what cost? Strength? Dependability?

Here's my issue with these: They're fine for walking around and helping you keep your balance, but how do they hold up when you trip and really put your weight and strain on them?

I cache on crutches since I lost a leg in '99 and fall a lot while hiking. The soft ground in Alabama is riddled with little stump holes where pine tree saplings 2-4" have rotted out in the ground. They're covered with pine straw and can be a foot deep... so you're bebopping along, step in a hole, or a vine catches your foot and trips you, put your weight on the pole and it suddenly folds up. I quickly found that ordinary crutches such as you get from most drug stores or medical supply houses are built pretty much with the same materials as the trekking poles depicted herein... lightweight aluminum tubing. Crutches are made of considerably stronger tubing than these trekking sticks, however, and I destroyed many of them before going to a stronger construction.

What I've found is that when you are walking along and one of these drops down in a hole and you throw your weight on it to keep from falling you end up on the ground anyway, with the pole bent and useless. Now maybe you are out in the sticks alone with a swelling ankle or knee and the trekking pole that you could have counted on to help you limp back to the car is useless. Ut Oh. :blink:

I expect that if you lean one of these against a wall, grab it near the middle and throw some weight on it that it will bend if not break. Or stick it in a hole and lean on it. That's not a silly test... if it fails under that light-weight testing then it will surely fail when you need it.

'I paid sixty dollars for this thing, I'm sure not going to try to break it!' means that you are putting blind faith in lightweight untested gear that you can't trust. It gives you a false sense of security when any of your equipment is trusted but not actually tested. That false sense of security will get you hurt when it fails you.

A walking staff made of hardwood is heavier and longer, but free if you are crafty or cheap to buy (stop by the store at any state park) and when the moment comes when you need it to do its job it won't fail you! :shocked:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I never used a pole until last October when I purchased a Leki Sierra. It took a little while to get used to, but now I wouldn't hike without it. The feature I like the most is that upon unscrewing the wooden cap, I now have a monopod to use with my small digital camera. It has twist locks and they've never loosened up even under heavy use. It also has the anti shock feature that I like, and a foam grip. In the short time that I've had it, I've beaten it up and it still works great.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301259_...by=priceDescend

Here's my issue with these: They're fine for walking around and helping you keep your balance, but how do they hold up when you trip and really put your weight and strain on them?

Quite well actually. I've had to put a good bit of my weight on the poles, particularly on downhills, or when vaulting streams and ditches and even breaking a fall. That's 235 lbs + pack which can be an additional 40 lbs or so when I'm backpacking. Never had a pole fail to hold my weight.

Edited by briansnat

I use two poles. I've found using one to be of limited value. As long as you can endure the "where is the snow?" jokes that nearly every passing hiker seems to lay on you, two poles are the way to go.

How do you handle your GPS when both hands are on a trekking pole?

I always use 2 poles and I keep my gpsr hanging from my pack. On the long hikes, so far for me, you are following a trail for quite a ways so you dont need to check it but every now and then. The better ones will even beep if you are close so with them you dont even have to look until it beeps.

Oh, and I use the cheapies from wal-mart that have twist locks and love them. Had them for over a year now and no problems hiking some pretty rough terrains. 10+ miles on at least 3 occasions.

GPS is clipped to my belt. I only need to glance at it periodically.

I now have an REI traverse. I have been through a couple of poles (always from the lower end of the scale).

REI replaced a Leki once. But the other day I was out after dark, it had begun to rain, and I just got to the steep part of the trail when the pole snapped. It was probably user error because it had been extended too far in the dark. I have taken long hikes over rough terrain with them without a problem.

I have generally buy them as a pair, but one pole works best for me. Particularly if I have to carry them up while scrambling up steep rock faces. I rarely hike without one. It gives my hand something to do and feels natural. And given my tendency to slip it comes in handy. Particularly with if the trails are slippery, steep, or rutted. And I suppose it can give snakes that much more warning that I am coming.

I credit one with saving my life, coming down a very steep trail, after it started to rain, the rocks were slippery, and there was nothing below me other than a very deep gorge. I caught myself with the pole just as I might have stumbled.

Edited by Erickson

I have looked at treking poles but I find the price a little steep and the collapsible ones do not inspire confidence in me at all. The ones I have looked at would actually start to collapse when I put my entire weight on them. These were ones in the $100 range. Don't remember what brand as I instantly dismissed them.

I have always had a wood staff of one type or another, and apart from the fact that I cannot collapse it, I much prefer these. I also love to carve and decorate them myself so there is some pride that goes into them too.

My latest is carved from Ash and I can do chin-ups with it. Not that I do lots of chin-ups in the woods, but at 225 lbs, I can't see a light weight pole standing up to that. My poles have always been multi-purpose and serve me as camp tools too and as I live and hike in mountainous terrain, there are times when I do have to climb a very steep slope and use the pole across the "trail" to pull myself up. It comes even handier coming back down.

So for me, a hand carved wooden staff is what I use and most likely what I will continue to use. To each, their own though, whatever floats your boat.

I have looked at treking poles but I find the price a little steep and the collapsible ones do not inspire confidence in me at all. The ones I have looked at would actually start to collapse when I put my entire weight on them. These were ones in the $100 range. Don't remember what brand as I instantly dismissed them.

I have always had a wood staff of one type or another, and apart from the fact that I cannot collapse it, I much prefer these. I also love to carve and decorate them myself so there is some pride that goes into them too.

My latest is carved from Ash and I can do chin-ups with it. Not that I do lots of chin-ups in the woods, but at 225 lbs, I can't see a light weight pole standing up to that. My poles have always been multi-purpose and serve me as camp tools too and as I live and hike in mountainous terrain, there are times when I do have to climb a very steep slope and use the pole across the "trail" to pull myself up. It comes even handier coming back down.

So for me, a hand carved wooden staff is what I use and most likely what I will continue to use. To each, their own though, whatever floats your boat.

Got a picture? I am getting ready to put some carvings on mine so I would like to see what others have done.

Got a picture? I am getting ready to put some carvings on mine so I would like to see what others have done.

Edit: Actually I found one on my personal site. This one is not finished yet and I am carving it for my wife. Basic hand tools - a knife and a dremel. I'm still pretty new at carving, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Gayle_Spirit_Stick.jpg

Edited by lornix

Here are pictures of staffs that geocacher El Diablo used to make. I don't think he makes them anymore but he might... http://www.geo-hikingstick.com/

There was a thread in this forum some while back about carving staffs but I am no good with the search engine on this site; you might can find it.

I have a pair of Leki poles, and most times use both, but have been known to stow one and use just one if the trail is narrow and has a steep drop-off. I like having the choice.

There's a few reasons why expensive poles are expensive. I don't know if any of these would be considerations for your purchase, but these were factors that justified for me the higher initial cost of a good pair of poles:

• The clutch mechanisms are replaceable. When a pole starts slipping shut, usually it is because the expander has worn out from grit that got into the shaft of the pole. It's an easy repair to make.
  • The tips are replaceable. Even carbon tips wear down from extensive use on rocky trails.
  • The tips are breakaway. Theoretically, if the pole is under too much pressure it is supposed to fail near the bottom so that it still can be used. I've never tested this.
  • Various size baskets are available for the poles. First off, the rubber tip wears out immediately on rough terrain. The carbon tip lasts, but it has a habit of picking up leaves and other debris, so a tiny basket is helpful. The basket also keeps the pole from sinking deeply into mud. Then, if you go out in snow, there are larger baskets for that.

I like the anti-shock feature. When I used to use a wooden staff, I sometimes felt I was walking the trail with my shoulder as much as my feet. I really could feel the combined impact of a day's worth of "tap, tap, taps."

Whatever you decide, you may really love using a stick or two. I left mine home last weekend and the trail was really icy. Major regrets. I didn't fall, but I did have to go at a snail's pace.

Mine’s a dogwood staff (photos below). I didn’t make it. But I have nearly lost it in the forest a couple of times. Don’t think I’m ever going to be able to break it -- this is one serious branch. Weighs a ton (give or take). Doesn't have much of an anti-shock feature. I also have a sweetgum staff, about half as heavy. Both staffs have been very useful for finding ammo cans under leaves.

I probably won’t carve them, but have been eyeing an Appalachian Trail hiking staff medallion.

DSC00294.jpgDSC00295.jpg

Edited by kunarion

Being cheap (and proud of it) we bought a pair of telescoping hiking sticks with cork handles and wrist straps and use one each. So far, so good - they are two years old now. Great for stability, poking and dragging my sorry tush up some hills. If I remember correctly, they were under $100 Cdn the pair.

I mounted a belt clip to one trek pole and hang the GPSr from that. It has the advantage that I can hold up the pole - horizonally or vertically - and read the screen. It also keeps it away from the body somewhat so it reads the sats better. One extra thing I've found, the clip part will hold a bandana for easy wiping and it dries nicely (when it's not raining here in the Great Pacific NorthWet).

I think cheap poles can help you realize the need for a quality pole and that's a perfectly acceptable thing to do while you save up money for higher quality. That's what I'm doing. That said, I'd consider that Lexi pole sort of mid-range and might consider buying it. The $150 poles just aren't part of my world. :) I'd consider paying that much for two, if I really liked the pole and had a birthday coming up.

I have some inexpensive coleman trekking poles. And the twist locks rarely hold for an entire hike/walk unless I really crank them up (and I'm afraid I'll crack the plastic bits if I do that). I do double check them every so often because I use them when hiking with a toddler on my back. I've yet to fall or injure either one of us.

I use the rubber feet mostly, but the carbide tips and snow baskets have been indispensable with our recent snowfalls and icy streets.

If I were buying today, I'd be looking at a pole with good reviews and I'd want to hold it in my hand first, so I'd probably visit the local outdoor sports stores and hold a variety of brands. Grips can be pretty personal and they're not one-size fits all (maybe it's because I have smaller hands). I use mine in town or on rocky terrain often, so I do like to have the angled rubber walking tips. Sometimes they're included, sometimes sold separately.

I've busted so many hiking sticks that it'd be smarter to grab stock shares and "maybe" get a little money back on the "investment". :laughing:

I don't feel comfortable at all with two. I feel I'm wasting too much time looking for placement of the sticks, instead of just getting out there and walking.

All the wispy-thin sticks touted as "best" in the backpacking mags have failed miserably on the areas I hit.

Seems that the longer foam handle models (foam extending down the poles a bit) help up/down steeper terrain - can adjust your grip as needed.

I prefer the latch/flip flick locks to the never-seems-to-hold-for-sheise twistlocks.

With any metal stick I only have carbide on the bottom. Two years ago, I spent the entire Summer on rock and never ground one down. Don't see how it would be possible .

Am product testing a stouter Black Diamond stick now. "So far" it's holding up.

I do like wood best and usually have one or two in the car.

Depends if CJ is with me. She doesn't want to be embarrassed being seen with me and the "old man's" stick. Techies... have a zillion gizmos on their belt an' a stick embarrass' them. :)

Not sure how it is in your area, but few if any even carry a stick in mine. I'm usually the only one. Hit an event last year and one besides me had a stick. Maybe it's an age thing. :laughing:

When the first snow hits and I'm in higher elevation where a chance of falling with serious injury is likely, I usually carry a snowscopic (collapsible trekking axe.)

End up replacing the twist-lock plastic at the end of each season, but it has proven (saved my bacon) itself a number of times.

When I was a youngster (when the Dead Sea was just sick) many hiking a mountain region would have a petzl charlot trekking axe with wood handle. I'd like to grab a one-piece, but trekking axes in the 95-100CM area are almost impossible to find now.

Here are pictures of staffs that geocacher El Diablo used to make. I don't think he makes them anymore but he might... http://www.geo-hikingstick.com/

There was a thread in this forum some while back about carving staffs but I am no good with the search engine on this site; you might can find it.

No I don't think he makes them anymore. I tried contacting him about making a few for me, but never heard back from him. Too bad too as they are very nice

I saw an El Diablo staff at a recent event. Very nicely done. Seeing his work has motivated me to try carving on mine. So far I have only practiced on scrap wood.

The original question was about trekking poles, so I will comment on these (double poles are a completely different concept from using one wood hiking staff.)

I recommend getting a decent quality pair because of the reasons mentioned above.

Specifically:

Carbide tips: because they last longer and can grip a smooth slippery wet rock. (Steel will slide.)

Foam handles: last longer, comfortable even when wet. Remember, the wrist strap takes your weight so you barely have to grip the handles.

Try the REI Traverse brand (made by Komperdell in Austria.) Nice grips, carbide tip, strong and light, and have a shock spring that you can turn off or on. I like the shock feature because of less strain on hard ground.

After a few years and over 700 miles on my pair, the sections started slipping as the locking plastic got worn and brittle. I went into an REI and asked about replacing the parts. They took the poles into the back room and installed the replacement parts in a few minutes for free!

Cost for pair is US$69.50 which I believe is a good bargain.

I have hiked over 1,000 miles with double poles and never had one break.

I saw an El Diablo staff at a recent event. Very nicely done. Seeing his work has motivated me to try carving on mine. So far I have only practiced on scrap wood.

Thank you. I'm humbled that I'm a source of motivation. Stop praticing and just do it.

As to the OP....Trekking poles...if you can't get a good wood staff...I guess they are better than nothing.

El Diablo