how to see smileys

3isamagic#

I have always wondered why they don't have this. You can go to the search page and search for caches in all sections but the 'Other Search Options' section and you will get an option to view in google maps. However, use the 'Other Search Options' section (which includes searching for found by user) and there is no link (except maybe for the area code search).

If anyone is being creepy here, it's markwell up there :blink:

Since we're talking about visualizing data on a map (well, sort of), does anyone have suggestions for doing this:

Display finds on a map, but on chronological order. Map starts out blank, but as the clock advances automatically, caches found on that date blink into existence, then slowly fade into a dull color as time moves on.

Sort of like this one showing spread of Walmart across the U.S.

I suppose I could render a series of JPEGs or BMPs and have some movie maker program assemble it, but hoping there exists tools out there already.

Since we're talking about visualizing data on a map (well, sort of), does anyone have suggestions for doing this:

Display finds on a map, but on chronological order. Map starts out blank, but as the clock advances automatically, caches found on that date blink into existence, then slowly fade into a dull color as time moves on.

I've done something like this using GSAK and Google Earth. I get the latest My Finds pocket query and import it into GSAK, then use the myGoogleEarth macro to export the data to Google Earth. Make sure the TimeLine is set to "Found" in the macro options. In Google Earth, you can animate the time line to show your finds over time.

--Larry

I've done something like this using GSAK and Google Earth. I get the latest My Finds pocket query and import it into GSAK, then use the myGoogleEarth macro to export the data to Google Earth. Make sure the TimeLine is set to "Found" in the macro options. In Google Earth, you can animate the time line to show your finds over time.

Thank you! Works like a charm.

See a map of another users finds??

No function on the website will currently allow this. But it would be easy enough for that person to produce a map of thier finds and show it to you.

I've often thought that this would be a good feature to add for the underutilized "friends" feature. The friends feature as it exists now doesn't do anything particularly useful. If one could easily see a map of found and unfound caches of a "friend" it could useful for route planning if you wanted to get together to do some caching.

Playing around with it, seems that (with names turned off) sometimes later geocaches are painted under existing ones when they are tightly clustered. I looked around for settings but could not see anything that can change it. Is this a limitation of GE or is there a workaround?

Playing around with it, seems that (with names turned off) sometimes later geocaches are painted under existing ones when they are tightly clustered. I looked around for settings but could not see anything that can change it. Is this a limitation of GE or is there a workaround?

I hadn't noticed this behavior, most likely because I wasn't looking closely enough (I just thought it was fun to see the general trend across time). When I get a chance, I'll play with it some more and see if I can duplicate the issue and find a workaround.

--Larry