Movies with Geocaching - Canonical List

Ericles

Though a GPS wasn't used, the Shawshank Redemption had a geocache.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World did also.

There have been so many...

Methinks the "cache" in those two movies was something other than a gerocache.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is from 1963

and

The Shawshank Redemption is from 1994

Geocaching is from 2000

Treasure is not only the best geocaching movie ever made by a landslide, it is a great movie with a great cast, superb acting, and a touching story.  We showed the movie at the Texas Challenge and there were some in tears at the most touching portion of the movie.  It has a bunch of Easter Eggs that are fun to spot.  The movie also does justice to the sport of Geocaching.  Buy two copies...one for you and one to put in a cache somewhere...

http://treasurethemovie.com/

Edited by gslink&slinkymama

So if anyone is not familiar with Mystery Science Theater 3000 or Rifftrax, it's basically funny commentary recorded over bad movies.  In one particular movie ('Grizzly') on Rifftrax, a character named Scott gets mauled and killed by a bear.  Two park rangers find his body and wonder how to get his body out of the forest.  One says they should bury the body and send the coordinates for it to be picked up later...at which point Mike Nelson says "Okay but bright side...Scott is now an amazing geocaching destination"

https://www.amazon.com/RiffTrax-Grizzly-Michael-J-Nelson/dp/B07BF31NZ7

(also availabe to watch for free on "Tubi")

Edited by J Grouchy
  • Funny 2
3 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

So if anyone is not familiar with Mystery Science Theater 3000 or Rifftrax, it's basically funny commentary recorded over bad movies.  In one particular movie ('Grizzly') on Rifftrax, a character named Scott gets mauled and killed by a bear.  Two park rangers find his body and wonder how to get his body out of the forest.  One says they should bury the body and send the coordinates for it to be picked up later...at which point Mike Nelson says "Okay but bright side...Scott is now an amazing geocaching destination"

https://www.amazon.com/RiffTrax-Grizzly-Michael-J-Nelson/dp/B07BF31NZ7

That's funny!

On 7/17/2020 at 10:37 AM, thebruce0 said:

Okay now that is a spectacular tagline!  :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Could make a good trivia question... if that's the literal phrase, it doesn't look like it can even be googled :)

https://tubitv.com/movies/494200/rifftrax_grizzly?start=true

You can see the whole sequence starting around 1:23.  The line itself is just about at 1:24

Edited by J Grouchy
  • Funny 1
On 2/25/2010 at 4:26 PM, bittsen said:

Though a GPS wasn't used, the Shawshank Redemption had a geocache.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World did also.

There have been so many...

it was the OG geocache. as soon as andy told red about it i thought if geocaching. what are the odds there is a cache in that exact same location

?

2 hours ago, BenRed06 said:

it was the OG geocache. as soon as andy told red about it i thought if geocaching. what are the odds there is a cache in that exact same location

Currently Zero.

That location is on private property. The closest cache is  GC48C6C located about 3/4 of a mile S.W. of the "stone wall in the shade of an Oak Tree."  

Edited by RocTheCacheBox
On 9/17/2020 at 1:08 PM, BenRed06 said:

?

The movie is free with ads for the time being.  Just look at the color and clarity of that film.

Edited by SamLowrey
On 2/1/2021 at 2:33 AM, The Trekbuddies said:

One new movies  Finding Ohana 2021

The Netflix movie "Finding 'Ohana" was one of the better depictions of Geocaching in pop culture. They have a multi cache published during an event (Greenpoint Geocachers) as a race to the finish. It is pretty cool. Then they kept up the theme of finding treasure throughout the movie. They find the treasure at "ground zero". The dialogue kept mentioning how the lead character Pili Kawena would rather be geocaching than sitting around the house - this is accurate for most of us.
In the credits they list Roland Lee as the geocache consultant. Based on https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/17358698/geocaching-craze-in-hawaii/ I believe his geo handle is GeoGerms. He is the #5 ranked top finder of Hawaii caches at a whopping 3342 just in Hawaii.

Proving once again that she has keener attention to detail than I do, my wife spotted this German geocaching poster in episode 2 of the German Netflix drama "Dark."

1197558811_Screenshot2023-02-1222_06_35.png.34bd3dc3b7ea23cb7d6ee02cf1239d6d.png

CSI tech: "ENHANCE!"

enhance.png.bbc31de21d45744e09275d8bffdbd510.png

I can't make it all out, but it looks like it's tied to the 10th anniversary of something geocaching related. Maybe a 10 Years! event, or the 10th anniversary of a German geocaching group?

On 3/27/2017 at 12:50 PM, javaman123 said:

I just watched a Hallmark movie called "Campfire Kiss".

They were looking for a fun activity and they discovered geocaching!

They found an ammo box!

That was on again over the weekend.   A short walk from a Glamping resort...

A few inaccuracies, but the basic members actually signed the log and one member left something without taking anything.

Funny part was it was a short walk, and the mother of one panicked when they walked off trail, wondering how they were gonna find their way back.

- They were walking in light snow...   :laughing:

• Funny 1

Most of the "Geocaching Movies" have been bad enough that I haven't been keeping up the list but I was recently alerted to another. It's called "Left Fingers" and it is in the horror/thriller category. The movie focuses on a cacher and would-be social influencer finding body parts in caches. You can guess which body parts based on the name. You can probably also guess that it's a ploy to gain more social influence. I haven't watched it to see if I'm right but for $2 on Amazon, I just might. :)

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Left-Fingers-Peter-Cloutier/dp/B0B6RCSYL5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13932596/

Edited by Ericles