caching with a cell phone

3isamagic#

Our contract will be up in June and we are thinking about an upgrade that we can cache on. I can't find anything about caching on phones other than iphone. How about some verison phones? I would like to have a phone this summer that could alert me to new caches and then lead me to them...is that a dream or can I really do it? Must be a verison phone...only one that works where my husband works.

Our contract will be up in June and we are thinking about an upgrade that we can cache on. I can't find anything about caching on phones other than iphone. How about some verison phones? I would like to have a phone this summer that could alert me to new caches and then lead me to them...is that a dream or can I really do it? Must be a verison phone...only one that works where my husband works.

I have been using an application called Locify on my mobile phones for the last year or so.

I currently have a Sony Ericsson W995 but have also had success with other SE phones including W800i and K800. I believe it works with most phones including the iphone.

No phone I have used with integral GPS has performed as well as my bluetooth GPS (Holux M1000) so you may wish to consider something similar too.

another option is Geocaching live, this also works on most phones but is not yet as versatile as Locify.

i have a samsung i900 omnia and must say geocaching is not the best for this phone.

this phone have WM 6.1 on it.

for testing i have install 3 program for geocaching. CacheWolf, BasicGPS and GCzII.

the problem i have with this. the gps works if you walk. if you stand still the gps don't work.

now i want to buy a garmin eTrex Legend® HCx i thing that is better then my phone.

mfg

Elifanti98

I have a black berry bold and use the BlackStar program. Or I should say I used the blackstar program, untill I got a hand held for christmas. But anyway, BlackStar is a very good program and I have been able to find many finds with it. I have found that it was more accurate then some hand helds or car GPSr. I could also do a search for the area I am in and get a few finds even if it was a new area. Hope this helps someone out there. The best part of BlackStar.... it's free!!!!

... Stay away from Windows Mobile phones, as Groundspeak currently has no interest in that platform - and tends to go out of their way to ensure programs written for WinMo won't work properly with the site.

Not true! GCzII ha recently been "approved" by GS. That Windows Mobile app out shines al the other Geocaching apps, Plus, Windows Mobile has tons of free apps that do all sorts of cool stuff.

... Stay away from Windows Mobile phones, as Groundspeak currently has no interest in that platform - and tends to go out of their way to ensure programs written for WinMo won't work properly with the site.

Not true! GCzII ha recently been "approved" by GS. That Windows Mobile app out shines al the other Geocaching apps, Plus, Windows Mobile has tons of free apps that do all sorts of cool stuff.

I have been geocaching successfully with my T-Mobile Wing with Windows Mobile 6 running Basic GPS getting data from a Delorme Eartmate with a bluetooth powerpack. Yes, it does mean that I have to carry 2 devices, but from what I have read it is more accurate than phones with internal gps. I must admit that I did have the Delorme to use with my laptop before I started geocaching. I was lucky enough to find the Bluetooth battery pack on E-bay allowing use with my phone.

I have been using the Droid since November with a couple of apps. There is one currently that, until GC releases theirs, does stand out head and shoulders above the rest. The few times I do use the phone, it tends to be at least as accurate as my Colorado and has most of the same features when using the chosen software.

Having said this, I wouldn't depend solely on a smartphone for caching. Aside from the expense, their just not made to hold up to the abuse that can come in the field like the GPSr's are.

Verizon is definitely the route to go, even without your given work limitations. The whole "map" things you see in the commercials is not just ad fodder, there really is a difference.

Edited by baloo&bd