0 for 3

swyer

Hey all, I am new to this but I think I may be missing something. I took my two boys out to find our first easy caches in Prince George where we live. We could not find any despite the GPS indicating that we were basically walking on them. There is about a foot of snow and I am not sure if these things are found often in these conditions. Is there anything else obvious that I am not doing?

were you looking for micros . might be easier to go out and look for larger ones.. also snow very well might be covering them. also as you continue to cache your geosense (ability to think outside the norm for hiding spots) will develop more. i know when i started the average spot was slightly oblivious to me, like a micro hanging from a coat hanger in a tangle of wild vines or a small bison tube hidden in a hole in a tree. you'll get it though.. caching in snow condition can definately make it higher difficulty then listed.. as an example i have one i hid that even i have problems finding if there is 2 or more inches on the ground because of its hidey hole..

also dont forget your GPS even with good coords could be off up to 30-40 feet due to variations in the weather, difference in gps unit used, tree coverage (or lack off) when cache is looked for compared to when it was hidden.. once you get to where the gps says your within 20 feet or so its sometimes easier to just put it away and start thinking, where would i hide something of X size around here if i didn't want it to be found by someone who is not looking for it..

Edited by KeeperOfTheMist

There is about a foot of snow and I am not sure if these things are found often in these conditions. Is there anything else obvious that I am not doing?

If it's under snow, it's likely much more difficult than it will be after the thaw. For now, you'll have to read the cache page carefully, to see if it looks easy to find in these conditions.

Be sure recent logs mention finding the cache. See if the description or hint will narrow it down. You'd usually want to start out by finding bigger containers, but may find Micros more easily than ammo cans now. Micros tend to be in urban areas, and sometimes in spots sheltered from snow. So you might give a 1 or 2-star Micro a try, if it's been found since the snow fell.

Whenever you do a search and can't find a cache, be sure to "Log your visit" on the cache page. You "Didn't find it", so do a "DNF" log (or if the snow was was just too cold and deep for a decent search, at least do a "Note"). The next cachers will REALLY appreciate knowing, before they make their trip to search, if other people are having a tough time in this snow.

I hope this helps!

Edited by kunarion

It might be good to wait until the snow melts to start. Keep in mind that coordinates have a built in margin of error depending how accurate the hider was, tree cover, the position of the satellites, and the like. By waiting until conditions are better you can get used to how caches are hidden. Start with some of the bigger and easier hides. Ask local cachers for advice. And most of all, have fun.

Many people successfully find geocaches in the snow.

Your post makes me thing that perhaps you are relying too much on your GPS. It won't always bring you to the cache, in fact with the combined inaccuracy of your unit and that of the hider, the cache can be 30,40 or more feet from where your GPS tells you it is.

The GPS gets you to the general area, the rest is up to you. Once you're within 30 feet or so forget about the GPS and look for the kinds of places that you would hide things if you were to hide something there. Hollow trees and stumps, rock crevices, under boulders, alongside down trees, etc.

Another thing is to stick with regular sized caches with a difficulty of 2 or less in the beginning. Leave the micros for later. They can be frustrating even for long time geocachers.

What Briansnat said.

Would add that a poking stick (hiking stick or staff) is helpful, as it makes it unnecessary to paw through the snow randomly. Can be used to find that pile of sticks (or mound of snow) that hides the cache. Should it actually strike the cache, you'll know quickly as the sound and feel is different.

Pawing or digging randomly within a 30'-40' circle becomes tedious, quickly. Certainly boring for kids, and makes for miserably wet mittens/gloves.

Again, make sure that you go after medium or large caches, especially while inexperienced. Small ones maybe, but oftentimes that "small" in reality turns out to be pretty darn tiny.

On the other hand, urban hides are quite often micros but because the hiding within populated areas takes on a new meaning, so the hunt tactics change somewhat. During winter they can be (but aren't always) easier. Look for magnetics and hangers or something that looks out-of-place (i.e. a bolt/nut that isn't really holding anything; electrical box that has no reason for being there -- be careful with that one).

Winter caching and non-winter caching are two different worlds, each unique in it's aspects.

Both are fun. Some feel winter caching is more fun! :lol::D;)

Snow multiples the difficulty for caches beneath it but they are still findable.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

Snow multiples the difficulty for caches beneath it but they are still findable.

A highly developed geosense can certainly improve your find rate in winter. I was out last weekend and went to search for an ammo can that was 20' or so into the woods. It was just far enough that the satellite signal degraded and there was probably about 6" of snow on the ground and piled deeper around the numerous fallen logs in the area. I noticed a larger log in the vicinity of where my GPS was telling me to search, then focused on one specific area under the log where I though someone might hide a container. At the second spot where I dug into about a foot of snow I discovered the cache. I really didn't use the GPS much once I left my vehicle. I spotted a likely area right away then used geosense to determine the best spot to search.

Greetings from a fellow BC-er! You may want to try contacting a local geocaching group and see if there is someone willing to go along with you and give you some pointers. When you have found a cache, take the kids back there with you...then they can find it too. My aunt lives in the Hartway area and has said the snow seems to stick around for a long time.

Stick to larger caches, 1/1 or 2/1 when the young 'uns are along, and don't forget their attenion span isn't quite so long as ours...bribery is an option :) (mmm - ice cream...works for me, anyway!)