Cache in Trash out Containers

Your idea has just made it to South Africa - the plastic bags in Film Canisters I mean! :laughing:

We have to pay for our plastic bags here in SA and one would have thought that adding a value to a bag would prevent it from being strewn all over the country. Not at all.

:laughing: There is garbage all over the place here, but there will soon be less once we get these CITO canisters out there! I am heading off to our local photshop at lunchtime.

Thanks for a brilliant idea :laughing:

I now carry a CITO bag with me when caching and it helps provide "cover" when muggles are near by besides doing something "good".  A couple walking through a local park actually thanked me for picking up litter.  (Most people assume I am being "punished" for doing something bad since in Texas those who commit minor offenses are sentenced to community service - which means picking up trash in parks, roadsides, etc.)

If only they knew how much fun I was really having...

Yes, CITO makes a good cover. I didn't have any bags with me when I went after this cache but found one laying close to the site. I had been waiting for quite a while for the muggle to clear the area since it was a busy trail and I didn't want to draw too much attention to myself as I exited the "woods." The bag provided the perfect cover and by the time I made it back to the trailhead I had not one, but two bags of trash. The kids mentioned in my log (Link above) saw me walking around with the bag and asked me if was picking up trash. When I replied Yes, they led me to another bag full that someone had discarded underneath a bridge. :blink: I have since purchased a backpack for caching and keep bags of assorted sizes in it at all times. Hadn't thought of the gloves yet, bt sounds like a great idea!

Edited by TeamZebra
Brilliant idea.  Let's make the world a nicer place to play grown-up hide and seek in.<BR><BR>_johnny_cache_

grown-up hide and seek? I'm 12 years old and quite frankly I'm insulted!

Hey, what about us teenagers that like geocaching too? also, I have placed film canisters with a few bags in them with the goal of traveling from cache to cache. I actually am thinking of making some traveling micros that you hide, and other people pick them up.

On a contianer that I got out of a Ammo can, it was the person sig item. It was a 35mm container with a sticker on the outside that explained what it was and who it was from. Then inside was a plastic Walmart bag for picking up trash. It said "after you pick up the trash, be sure to hide the container".

It is a cool idea that I am now using. I will also be handing these out to all that attend my CITO event coming soon.

I've seen a lot of 35mm CITO containers, but when we picked one up awhile back, my 4 year old daughter thought they should really be trash cans with bags in them.

So, she and I came up with these as our CITO cans:

cito.jpg

They came with candy in them which, of course, was a bonus for Alexa... They hold a plastic grocery bag quite well.

Brian

We have decided that we would include a CITO bag in all of our hides large enough to handle it. Our first hide includes one.

We rolled a plastic garbage bag really tight and placed it in a medicine bottle with a custom sticker on the bottle.

When we manage the cache, another will be placed into the container if needed.

This CITO thing is such a great idea for keeping the areas clean.

Visit your local pharmacy if you know your pharmacist well. All the meds that they put in your personalized prescription bottles come in other bottles first, as their inventory. Some pharmacies recycle these inventory bottles & will have a bag full of them; they may be willing to give you the bottles, and they will likely hold more than one (or a larger) bag, plus a glove and a sticker to put on the finished bag of trash!

Happy Traching!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Despot&Smitten:<BR>Great idea! You wouldn't be willing to share the doc file for your trash out container labels, would you? .... I am so horribly, horribly lazy!<BR><BR>Smitten (Team Despot & Smitten)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>drop me a line with your e-mail addy and I can send you either a word doc or a pdf of something that will fit on a standard avery 8162 label template. These fit nicely around film cannisters.<BR><BR>OhNoMrBill (Bill Hudson, Gilroy CA)

My excuse for not making labels for CITO film canister containers is I don't know how if you could send me the file I could figure it out and get them out here in N.Mn before winter!! thanks Cushman Rider

Having seen this thread before, I decided to make my own 35mm CITO containers.

In it, I include 1 plastic shopping bag and 1 pair of latex gloves. Admittedly, I had to cut the "handles" off of the shopping bag in order to get everything to fit, but I got it all in there.

I hope the addition of the gloves makes up for the lack of handles on the bag.

This is the label (Avery Standard 5160 - Address Label, 30 per sheet) I put on the outside of the container:

CITO.jpg

Regards,

WIGeoPirates

Edited by WIGeoPirates

Thanks MissJenn!!!

I noticed after about a day the labels didn't really want to stick to the film container and this was after I cleaned the outside of them with lighter fluid (Naphtha). :laughing:

I solved the problem by wrapping a piece of clear mailing tape around the container.

Lessons learned.

Regards,

Steve

This is a great idea for a bug. I currently have America Eagle and Lady Liberty's Cache in Trash Out. I am moving Cache Bug 1 between two locations in Calgary. Used the bag exiting out of the cache...found garbage, party location, pocket knife, golf ball, etc...this bug provides that extra incentive to have the garbage bag for the walk.

Edited by wildwoodke

I found one of the film canisters today. What an awesome idea. Lil' Mojo and I always carry a plastic grocery bag along with us when we hike or cache, just for this reason, however oddly enough today we didn't so it was fate...reminding me. :( Anyway, other than getting the canisters and filling them up, adding a label and trash bag, is there something else I need to do to participate in this? I'd love to add one whenever I can. I think it serves as a great reminder.

Any tips?

Anyway, other than getting the canisters and filling them up, adding a label and trash bag, is there something else I need to do to participate in this?
Have a positive attitude, and you're golden!

:(

Have you checked out the CITO web site? Link is in my signature line. There's a lot of stuff in there...

Have a positive attitude, and you're golden!

:laughing:

Always positive, Miss Jenn ;)

Have you checked out the CITO web site? Link is in my signature line. There's a lot of stuff in there...

I did, but I need to look some more. I did find a CITO event for this weekend in my area that I'm going to participate in. I even changed my hair appointment for it. LOL. Thanks for the info.

Tried searching but all of the links to files that I found either here or via Google came up dead. There was one exception but it from the UK and was for labels on A4 size paper.

Did you save the link? I can reformat it to suit my needs.

No, sorry, and an attempt to locate it again via Google came up empty.

Yeah, I came up empty when searching. If anyone finds one, even if it's an odd size of paper for us in the US, post a link or email it to me, and I'll resize it to fit and get a way to get them back up on the board for all to use.

I have used prescription bottles with the prescription label removed and replaced with a CITO label made with Avery labels covered with a sturdy clear packing tape so the printout doesn't smear or tear. I can jam 2-3 of those plastic bags from the grocery store into a pill bottle bepending on the size.

halffast has a good idea here:

I have used empty washed out medicine bottles for this.As well as recycleing them some are larger than the film containers and are easier to put the bags in.

Those medicine bottles (the ones without a "shoulder") are often not recyclable at the curbside anyway (at least not where I live), so this is a great way to re-use them.

I'd be happy to make up a label in MSWord format and email it around to those of you who want it. I don't have any film canisters or labels on hand, so if someone could let me know what size label should be used and what you would all like it to say, I'll put it together ASAP!

I have a sheet made, but it's a pagemaker v7 file. I don't have anyway to convert it. My fiance did it in what was easiest for her. If someone can convert it, send me an email through the site.

If you install CuteWriter (completely free at http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp) you can "print" that Pagemaker file to a PDF. You could probably also save it to a PostScript (.ps) file which would be (I think) openable and printable from Photoshop