Cache in Trash out Containers

Here is a neat idea. A friend of mine came up with this. Take a small container about the size of a 35mm film container. Put a trash bag in it, and drop it off in a cache. The idea is for the next cacher to use the bag to pick up trash on his/her way out. Replace the bag with a new one and then drop it off in the next cache.

I have even made some labels to go on mine. The labels state the instruction, just in case someone would not know what to do with the container.

I attached Travel Bugs to two of mine. (CACH IN TRASH OUT and (CACHE IN TRASH OUT #2)bug.

Here is a picture of me with one of the bags that came out of Cloak_N_Dagger's caches.

1384909_400.jpg

I've Lost My Marbles

[This message was edited by American Eagle and Lady Liberty on May 18, 2003 at 07:27 PM.]

[This message was edited by American Eagle and Lady Liberty on May 18, 2003 at 07:28 PM.]

Don't you hate when you come up with a really (what you think is) original idea only to find that someone else thought of it first?? LOL

Great idea! I am just starting out and my husband and I took sandwich baggies and packed a trashbag in them... then labeled them with "Cache in Trash Out" and a provided by line, and we went one step further and have created miniature "trading" cards that are laminated to put in with them. We plan on creating a whole series so who knows where they may end up!

Which reminds me that I need to get him to put our "handles" on them...

I am always thinking of what I need to do after its already too late! LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Despot&Smitten:

Great idea! You wouldn't be willing to share the doc file for your trash out container labels, would you? .... I am so horribly, horribly lazy!

Smitten (Team Despot & Smitten)

drop me a line with your e-mail addy and I can send you either a word doc or a pdf of something that will fit on a standard avery 8162 label template. These fit nicely around film cannisters.

OhNoMrBill (Bill Hudson, Gilroy CA)

Very happy with the film canister idea and have put out close to 50 so far ... One thing that I have not seen mentioned is that labels will not stay stuck to the film canisters...you are wise to add a piece of cellophane tape around the label to keep it held in place... My label was approved by the gang at Groundspeak in a timely and friendly manner ... I was happy and impressed...

Texas Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Wal-Mart Man:

Very happy with the film canister idea and have put out close to 50 so far ... One thing that I have not seen mentioned is that labels will not stay stuck to the film canisters...you are wise to add a piece of cellophane tape around the label to keep it held in place... My label was approved by the gang at Groundspeak in a timely and friendly manner ... I was happy and impressed...

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

clear package sealing tape is what I'm using. It's slightly too wide, but it can be trimmed easily.

As far as the logo, I came up with my own based on one of the public domain geocaching logos. I may switch to the Groundspeak logo at some point in the future, but I was in a hurry. icon_smile.gif

I saw this thread this morning, thought it was great icon_biggrin.gif and printed out 6 labels. This afternoon I stopped at the local photo shop and they gave me a BAG FULL of the film containers icon_redface.gif. I made up 6 filled labeled containers. One will go into each of my established caches and in each I visit from now on icon_cool.gif. This is such a great idea I hope that we don't fill all the caches with these canisters icon_eek.gif!

Cheers! Northern Trekker

I have walmart saving film canisters and they also donated the bags and labels for CITO canisters. I have almost 300 done with a goal of 1,000. Ileave 2 in each Cache I visit. I have tried to get the ok to use the logo. I emailed and they noted recipt of the e-mail with a tracking number, but no reply. I'm I supposed to go some where wih that number?

The link in the reply when to FAQ's.

quote:
Originally posted by WicketsWanderingPonyPatrol:

I have walmart saving film canisters and they also donated the bags and labels for CITO canisters. I have almost 300 done with a goal of 1,000. Ileave 2 in each Cache I visit. I have tried to get the ok to use the logo. I emailed and they noted recipt of the e-mail with a tracking number, but no reply. I'm I supposed to go some where wih that number? 5

The link in the reply when to FAQ's.

Groundspeak's logos are automatically licensed for runs of 25 units or less (See http://www.geocaching.com/about/logousage.aspx for logo usage policy). So, go ahead and use it, but limit yourself to 25 units until you get approval, or use one of the public domain geocaching logos.

I made up my own logo based on the 'leatherman' public domain logo, and it (along with some other variants on the 'leatherman' logo) can be found at http://bytethebullet.com/geologo/leatherman__variants.htm

As far as not filling up the caches, I ran into another CITO canister yesterday. If there hadn't been one, I would have planted one. I think a max of one per cache is a good rule. Of course, the most important thing is to USE the bags. icon_smile.gif

Just placed my first CITO To Go! I actually placed an identifying number in the film canister's lid, asked the taker to record where they used the bag and where they placed the replenished canister. Maybe I can track the use/non-use of them... Already have a few more ready to go!

On my way out of town for a camping trip, I walked in to a local film developing place (Inkley's) and asked for some film canisters. The girl behind the counter was very happy to give me a shopping bag FULL of canisters--I probably ended up with over 150. My two oldest boys, ages 10 and 13, then stuffed the canisters with shopping bags we had saved and brought along specifically for that purpose. Neither of them had any trouble stuffing the bags into the canisters, surprisingly enough! It was a great way to give them something to do other than fight! Then, while camping, I placed 2 or 3 canisters in each cache we visited.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Buckaroo Banzai

:huh: I just started doing this on Saturday and I was amazed at how much trash you find even 100 yards off a bike/ped only trail. What are people thinking?

;) That you should set up a CITO cache in such a park. No trading items, just go in, sign the logbook, and take a CITO cannister, whose bag you should fill with garbage. Then put a new bag in and place the cannister in your next cache.

<a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=82878">Iced Tea 29</a>

How many grocery bags can you commonly stuff into a baby food jar for a CITO inside a cache. My cache 500 Feet From the Pump Station is a great example of one that needs a container of CITO bags in it. I can only make it out to the cache every other month or so, despite living only 2 miles away due to my crazily busy life as was discussed in this thead. Does anybody have anything to say about this CITO?

How many grocery bags can you commonly stuff into a baby food jar for a CITO inside a cache. My cache 500 Feet From the Pump Station is a great example of one that needs a container of CITO bags in it. I can only make it out to the cache every other month or so, despite living only 2 miles away due to my crazily busy life as was discussed in this thead. Does anybody have anything to say about this CITO?

I use film cannisters, which generally take 1 bag per. I can actually stuff a tall kitchen garbage bag in one if I'm careful.

I was able to stuff about 15 grocery bags in the before said baby food jar (which is about the size of a film canister, it is not the normal size) I thought this wasn't very many, anybody get more. I was going to put this container in my cache with the intent of it staying there and when sombody wants a bag they can just take one out. When it runs low (hopefully a couple months later) i would replenish it.

I printed some of CompassCollector's labels (thanks by the way!) and stuck them on film containers. I edited the label slightly to make a label to stick on the bags. Kept the "Cache In, Trash Out" and the Logo but the small print says : Please use this back to carry out trash from the cache area and dispose of it into a proper trash receptacle."

As someone here mentioned, I think it would be good for geocaching if park maintenance people or park hosts see bags full of trash that have our labels on them.

Besides film containers, I found some other containers that used to hold candy and these do a good job hold plastic bags. For example, I have one that is "SpongeBob" shaped. It's wearing a hat which pops open and a bag fits down inside of the SpongeBob body. I turned the CITO label into a tag and attached it to the SpongeBob container's belt clip.

Then I thought I could take my film containers and dress them up with stickers. Cute huh? But here's the problem - what if there are plastic bags inside of something that catches a kids attention? Maybe parents think their child has pulled a toy out of the cache and doesn't notice the CITO sticker. Then later the child pulls out the plastic bag when there's no adult nearby and somehow use it to choke or suffocate themselves. Is that an unrealistic fear? Should I add "Warning - Choking hazard" or somesuch message or not use toy-like containers? :D

:o it would be cool if you used the film canister and stuffed it with the bag "and" a pair of those disposable rubber latex type glove's. those would be a nice addition. you could make a cito kit to leave in cache's. also it would be nice if someone sold the bag's with the cito motto printed on the bag's. then people would see the benifit's of us geocacher's every time they see a full bagwith the lable printed on it. what do you all think? brakeless1
I didn't read the whole thread but I started placing CITO kits in caches. It's small tupperware, a little larger that a film canister with a garbage bag and rubber gloves in it. Ya never know what you're going to find out there.

I guess a garbage dumpster is the ultimate CITO container! ;)

:lol: it would be cool if you used the film canister and stuffed it with the bag "and" a pair of those disposable rubber latex type glove's.

Having just added gloves-in-film-cans to all of my first aid kits, I can tell you that one pair of rubber gloves uses just a little less room in a film can than one walmart bag. No way I could get both to fit in the same can.

I have started making CITO containers too...I encourage people to refill them when they are done.

I also include a disposable glove (I use the cheapy ones for making sandwhiches) in the kit! The bags I use are just small grocery bags, but at least it is a way to recycle. My total cost for a kit is less than $0.05.

Edited by TeamSpaz

FYI. The yellow CITO bags from Groundspeak won't fit in a 35mm film container.

But, that's not to say that you shouldn't purchase some anyway and help support the site. I bought some CITO stickers from Groundspeak.com and some yellow bags and have made my own CITO containers as well. The containers just have to be about 3 times the size of a film canister.

I now carry a CITO bag with me when caching and it helps provide "cover" when muggles are near by besides doing something "good". A couple walking through a local park actually thanked me for picking up litter. (Most people assume I am being "punished" for doing something bad since in Texas those who commit minor offenses are sentenced to community service - which means picking up trash in parks, roadsides, etc.)

If only they knew how much fun I was really having...

Edited by Zoptrop

I bumped this thread because I think it goes along with this one.

I like the Groundspeak CITO bags and stickers too, and I may get some for a CITO event or semi-permanent CITO cache. But yeah, there's no way you're going to get a 20-gal bag in a 35-mm film can. I once got a 10-gal tall kitchen bag in one, but it wasn't fun. The standard plastic grocery bag fits just fine.

I really like the film can idea. I carry 4 or 5 with me all the time, because the small backpack I use has loops for film. Thats why I did up the bag labels; I got the idea from the big yellow CITO bags anyway. I wanted a way to signal that a geocacher had done the cleanup, so now I carry a folded sheet of bag labels along with the CITO cans. When I trash out, I tie the bag(s) and put a label on it.

I attached Travel Bugs to two of mine. American Eagle and Lady Liberty

Dude,

I am so impressed with the TB idea. I thought I was the only one to have thought of it. Check out PRONOIA!!! the TB. I just set it loose and there are no miles yet. Maybe this weekend.

I have some things to add to the discussion. Someone said they could barely fit a tall kitchen trash bag in a film cannister. I have this habit of immediately shaking out the bag when I pull it out of the box. Don't do it. Use it airless and flat. The trick is a series of folds and rolls. While you've got it laid out on the counter you can easily add your personalized CITO sticker. Again fold and roll, wadding will never be easy.

You don't want to limit yourself to film cannisters. I love Pill Bottles. Everyone knows those orange and white screw cap jobbies. I get my supply from what ever I am perscribed. I used to recycle them back to the pharmacy until I thought of them as CITO containers. It's quite possible they would have a large supply of free stuff for the geocacher. I haven't asked the pharmacist if I could have any. Let me know your results. Let me sing the Pill Bottle praises. They come in all sizes. The CITO bags sold at Groundspeak is bound to fit some. I choose the EZoff lid kind. For the person concerned with kids getting hurt, just get the child proof caps. Because they come in all sizes they are flexible in range. The smaller caches can have a film canister while those with space to spare can handle larger containers. Some good items for stuffing include, but is not limited to, Nitrile Gloves - Large, tall kitchen trash bags, shopping bags, maybe a free CITO sticker to the first finder. Don't be daunting by adding trash bags so big no one can carry it, or so many it looks hard. I do like the labeling or identifying sticker to show our quiet help. Mostly we like to hide and lurk. The official CITO bag in the dumpster may not be a billboard, but that's the kind of advertising I like.

Anything that is a vessel and label friendly can be a CITO container. Like one poster said, use candy containers. Make the CITO as fun as possible, a game. Make people want to white wash a fence. My dog won't stop messing with trash and I think I inadvertently trained her...

Thanks to everyone who plays the CITO game.

Thankyou.

I like the 35mm film can Idea and even made a couple of dozen that I distributed, but I started a thread looking for a larger label format. I think the 35mm film can idea works for people who are aware of CITO because they are small and easily overlooked. I would like to build a card or label that explains to new cachers what CITO is all about and get their attention right away when they open the cache. Those of us who CITO as a matter of habit and conviction usually have a bag with us, it’s the newbies I’m trying to reach with a larger label.

Hi All-

I just visited my first CITO cache a couple weeks ago. It compelled me to make my own which I put on some state land here in central Michigan. I used perscrption pill bottles which I removed all the labels from and wrote on them with a permenant marker "Cache In- Trash Out" and put a used grocery bag in each. The land is so cluttered with trash, that I left in the cache (which is located in a 3 foot long section of cement drain tile) a box of garbage bags, the 13 gallon size with the hopes that cachers will use them to clean up this once nice section of land.

RVMAN

CITO

I just picked up a T.B. like that the other day, film canister with a plastic bag in it attached to a T.B. dog tag. I think it it is a great idea and I have never seen anything like it before, and then I see this whole topic on them! LOL :rolleyes:

Briggzz