Micro Online Logs For Micro's

joespaz

I have decided that I don't like looking for micro's as much as bigger caches. I also don't "hate" looking for them either.

I am well known for leaving long detailed log entries online when I find caches. I usually tell a bit about my Geocaching adventure that day, then some info about my experience finding the particular cache, and lastly some stats for the day including where I came from and where I go next.

I was thinking that for micro's I'll just start leaving an online log that says "Found It." I wonder if that is rude and inconsiderate.

Tell me what you think?

To post a short log because of the size is a little bizarre.

If it's because it's a lame hide, well I can see that. Even ammo can hides can be lame though. I've found a few. I've also found micros that I thought were in amazing places. In fact, the most amazing urban cache I've ever done was a micro.

Let your log reflect your experience. If the cache was so unremarkable that all you can think of to write is "found it" then so be it.

Personally I don't let the size of the cache affect my log. What does is the experience. I have lengthy logs for some outstanding micros that I've found and I have very short logs for some unremarkable regular sized caches.

Let your log reflect your experience. If the cache was so unremarkable that all you can think of to write is "found it" then so be it.

Personally I don't let the size of the cache affect my log. What does is the experience. I have lengthy logs for some outstanding micros that I've found and I have very short logs for some unremarkable regular sized caches.

Likewise, I have some lengthy logs for unremarkable Caches that had an outstanding adventure.

I have decided that I don't like looking for micro's as much as bigger caches. I also don't "hate" looking for them either.

I am well known for leaving long detailed log entries online when I find caches. I usually tell a bit about my Geocaching adventure that day, then some info about my experience finding the particular cache, and lastly some stats for the day including where I came from and where I go next.

I was thinking that for micro's I'll just start leaving an online log that says "Found It." I wonder if that is rude and inconsiderate.

Tell me what you think?

I would consider it inconsiderate if you purposefully left out only micros, particularly since that is all you have ever hidden yourself.

As a cache owner I'm disappointed when I read a "Found it" or "TFTC" log, because I put extra effort into most of my containers and cache descriptions. I like to hear a little something about my particular cache, not just where they and their family/friends had lunch. If I had a film canister in an LPC however, I'm fairly certain it would all be "Found it" and "TFTC" and "Thanks for the PnG" unless something particularly unusual happened while the person was lifting the skirt.

As a finder, I do try my best to come up with something to say. In fact I very recently found two LPC's and made a comment about not having realized there were caches in that shopping center. Not very exciting but I hate to JUST say TFTC :laughing:

Right on the geocaching homepage it says:

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment.

Some would argue that 'found it' is sharing your experience, but I don't really think so. Just be honest and share your experience whatever the experience is, regardless of the cache size.

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment.

Some would argue that 'found it' is sharing your experience, but I don't really think so. Just be honest and share your experience whatever the experience is, regardless of the cache size.

Found it, or tftc, beats "This was the lamest cache I found today. I mean really! You could not come up with something better than an old Chinese food container? And what's up with this location? Not every outhouse in the city dump needs a cache you know. One more thing, be careful when you type in the coordinates 76 feet off is a bit much. Left hand sanitizer and took...well I didn't take anything as it all had the bio-hazard symbol on it." The longer version may be more interesting but the CO is only going to delete it anyway.

I agree with those that say let the experience be your guide when logging.

Tell me what you think?

I don't partake in the 5 word or less find log (or caches that deserve to receive them), but I would think thanking them, as in "Found it, TFTC" would be in order.

Found it, or tftc, beats "This was the lamest cache I found today. I mean really! You could not come up with something better than an old Chinese food container? And what's up with this location? Not every outhouse in the city dump needs a cache you know. One more thing, be careful when you type in the coordinates 76 feet off is a bit much. Left hand sanitizer and took...well I didn't take anything as it all had the bio-hazard symbol on it." The longer version may be more interesting but the CO is only going to delete it anyway.

I am 100% genuine when I say that if someone logged something like on one of my caches, I would totally leave it and thank them for being honest. I've gotten logs like that and I've appreciated it. It took logs like that on my first cache for me to realize that the cache wasn't a very good idea and I'm a better hider because of it.

As someone who both hunts for caches and also hides them for others to find, I can say that I enjoy reading the logs.

Some of the best hides I've ever found have been micros. Tough micros, yes. I try to reflect that in my "Found It" log. I also enjoy reading the logs that others post about my hides. Some of them have been to a certain cache that I own half a dozen times. True that they don't always post DNFs, but I enjoy reading them just the same.

That being said, I've also found some regulars that were excellent hides themselves. All that I've wirtten above also applies here. I would rather read a dozen well written logs than a hundred "Found It" logs any day.

Micros are usually cheap and easy for hiders to hide. Those who want the numbers will hunt for 'em. Take time to enjoy 'em all. I usually post something about the friends or family that I'm (usually) caching with.

Good Luck!

I don't think a caches size should be the sole basis of your log. If your really feel this indifferently to ALL micros, why bother? I agree, on almost all occasion I would rather find a regular than a micro, but they quality is not determined by this. If a cacher put together a good quality cache that happened to be a micro then why not give them credit for it? If you truly do not enjoy even the best micros enough to log like you would with any other cache then just avoid them. Nothing says you need to look for all caches. Go after ones you are going to enjoy!!!

Edited by apyro

Tell me what you think?

, particularly since that is all you have ever hidden yourself.

That's not true. Maybe all the Caches on that account, but I know he has hidden many others. Look up Teamspaz. The Joespaz account was originally created for one particular series.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

If you haven't already done so, Joe... spend a few weeks going through the Cool Cache Containers thread. A good portion of those are micros. Yes... a good deal of lame caches are micros, because people that are likely to put out a lame cache are also likely to get their container from the trash can, and that container is likely to be something like a pill bottle. But there are some very fun, clever micros, and there are micros at breath taking locations.

I don't think a caches size should be the sole basis of your log. If your really feel this indifferently to ALL micros, why bother? I agree, on almost all occasion I would rather find a regular than a micro, but they quality is not determined by this. If a cacher put together a good quality cache that happened to be a micro then why not give them credit for it? If you truly do not enjoy even the best micros enough to log like you would with any other cache then just avoid them. Nothing says you need to look for all caches. Go after ones you are going to enjoy!!!

Haha, is that the smallest font allowed??

Tell me what you think?

My logs are a reflection of the cache I find. If I enjoy myself, I'll usually have to utilize a character counter, whittling my log down to the 4000 character limit imposed by Groundspeak. I also go through a selection process, so the caches that end up in my PQ are ones I'm likely to enjoy. However, every so often, a real stinker creeps through, and I find myself holding a soggy log film can. At that point, my logs are still a reflection of the cache, in that I simply walk away, without logging it at all.

Edit to add: In accordance with my own highly biased caching aesthetic, quality is not directly related to size. It just seems that way sometimes, as the folks who hide the types of caches I dislike tend toward the smaller end of the cache size spectrum.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Haha, is that the smallest font allowed??

I write that small... so why not type that small :lol: Imagine how crazy I drove my English teachers with essays! And, yes... it is the smallest allowed!!

Tell me what you think?

My logs are a reflection of the cache I find. If I enjoy myself, I'll usually have to utilize a character counter, whittling my log down to the 4000 character limit imposed by Groundspeak. I also go through a selection process, so the caches that end up in my PQ are ones I'm likely to enjoy. However, every so often, a real stinker creeps through, and I find myself holding a soggy log film can. At that point, my logs are still a reflection of the cache, in that I simply walk away, without logging it at all.

Edit to add: In accordance with my own highly biased caching aesthetic, quality is not directly related to size. It just seems that way sometimes, as the folks who hide the types of caches I dislike tend toward the smaller end of the cache size spectrum.

Why not log a real log. Something that reflects the cache so the next cacher will know what to expect or to skip it?

So by not logging the soggy film can hide, you subject the next cacher to the same experience?

Whatta guy!!

Tell me what you think?

I would consider it inconsiderate if you purposefully left out only micros, particularly since that is all you have ever hidden yourself.

As a cache owner I'm disappointed when I read a "Found it" or "TFTC" log, because I put extra effort into most of my containers and cache descriptions. I like to hear a little something about my particular cache, not just where they and their family/friends had lunch. If I had a film canister in an LPC however, I'm fairly certain it would all be "Found it" and "TFTC" and "Thanks for the PnG" unless something particularly unusual happened while the person was lifting the skirt.

As a finder, I do try my best to come up with something to say. In fact I very recently found two LPC's and made a comment about not having realized there were caches in that shopping center. Not very exciting but I hate to JUST say TFTC :lol:

When assume things...etc.

I actually have hidden many caches that aren't micros, but by using other usernames. Also, the micro's that I hid under this name were special because 35 new caches all released on one day in one town was a big deal in 2004. Lastly, I have learned a lot since then, and feel I am allowed to change my opinion.

I have noticed that in the middle of our regional parks people are hiding micro's along the trails. It just seems like they could have made a slightly greater effort to hide a cache worth finding. I know, I know, some micros are worth finding, but I hope you get what I mean.

psst...whats a LPC...it's been a while and I don't recognize the term.

I am 100% genuine when I say that if someone logged something like on one of my caches, I would totally leave it and thank them for being honest. I've gotten logs like that and I've appreciated it. It took logs like that on my first cache for me to realize that the cache wasn't a very good idea and I'm a better hider because of it.

I agree...I learned a lot by reading the logs for my Happy Birthday JoeSpaz series in 2004. The series idea, and releasing them all in one day was a great idea. The bad coords, the caches "dropped in the mud," and the bad containers...BIG MISTAKE.

I hate to talk negative about peoples caches because so many people are so sensitive here. What did my mom say "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

Teeheeeheee!! And you look so... so... innocent!! :D LOL!

Additionally, all of those micros had an obvious agenda: Help me celebrate my 35th birthday

and were abandoned for the community and reviewer to sort out. :lol:

They weren't abandoned. They were asked to be removed by the communitty. You have no idea what things transpired in my life at the time, so please don't make judgements. I guess I could have just archived them all and left a pile of trash out there. Plus that was 5 years ago...let it go.

Additionally, all of those micros had an obvious agenda: Help me celebrate my 35th birthday

They weren't abandoned. They were asked to be removed by the communitty. You have no idea what things transpired in my life at the time, so please don't make judgements. I guess I could have just archived them all and left a pile of trash out there. Plus that was 5 years ago...let it go.

I think the only reason that you are seeing some judgmental responses is that your OP was a bit judgmental about a particular cache size that many of us have hidden. (not that yours is the first judgmental post about micros by a long shot!) By stating that all micro caches deserve a lame log puts many of us on the defense.

Tell me what you think?

As a finder, I do try my best to come up with something to say. In fact I very recently found two LPC's and made a comment about not having realized there were caches in that shopping center. Not very exciting but I hate to JUST say TFTC :D

I actually have hidden many caches that aren't micros, but by using other usernames. Also, the micro's that I hid under this name were special because 35 new caches all released on one day in one town was a big deal in 2004. Lastly, I have learned a lot since then, and feel I am allowed to change my opinion.

I have noticed that in the middle of our regional parks people are hiding micro's along the trails. It just seems like they could have made a slightly greater effort to hide a cache worth finding. I know, I know, some micros are worth finding, but I hope you get what I mean.

An LPC is a lamp post cache.

My apologies for posting wrong information but we have no way of knowing you have multiple accounts. Do know I showed great restraint in my post because like someone else has now pointed out, I also discovered that you had a great deal of abandoned caches (of various sizes come to find out) and that is a pet peeve of mine.

That said, I didn't want to assume :lol: that you were in a position to adopt out or care for your caches at that time. You never know what someone has gone through. My thinking is that you should express your gratitude to all cache owners who have not only hidden a cache (even little ones take some time and effort) but are also maintaining it and eagerly opening up their email to read the latest log on their cache ;)

I'm with you on the micros along park trails making me sad. I cache with up to four of my small children and a perfect day for us is finding a nice park full of swag-capable caches :D

So by not logging the soggy film can hide, you subject the next cacher to the same experience?

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol: I've learned over time that my own highly biased caching aesthetic cannot be applied to other cachers. The things that I detest will be enjoyed by many. Posting a log that stated words to the effect of, "What a crappy cache. The location was uninspired. The hide technique was an absolute creativity vacuum. The container totally sucked. I hated it", would not stop, or even remotely stem the flow of future finders, who will come along and sing its praises. The folks who like the kinds of caches I dislike are not impacted by negative logs on cache pages.

Whatta guy!!

Whatta lizard!!

Edited by Clan Riffster

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol: I've learned over time that my own highly biased caching aesthetic cannot be applied to other cachers. The things that I detest will be enjoyed by many. Posting a log that stated words to the effect of, "What a crappy cache. The location was uninspired. The hide technique was an absolute creativity vacuum. The container totally sucked. I hated it", would not stop, or even remotely stem the flow of future finders, who will come along and sing its praises. The folks who like the kinds of caches I dislike are not impacted by negative logs on cache pages.

I suspect they mean that you would help the community by simply saying:

Found the cache with a soggy log :D

Ok you probably wouldn't put the sad face but it looked so negative without it ;)

I think the only reason that you are seeing some judgmental responses is that your OP was a bit judgmental about a particular cache size that many of us have hidden. (not that yours is the first judgmental post about micros by a long shot!) By stating that all micro caches deserve a lame log puts many of us on the defense.

SO then the simple answer is ..yes it would be rude.

Tell me what you think?

As a finder, I do try my best to come up with something to say. In fact I very recently found two LPC's and made a comment about not having realized there were caches in that shopping center. Not very exciting but I hate to JUST say TFTC :D

An LPC is a lamp post cache.

My apologies for posting wrong information but we have no way of knowing you have multiple accounts. Do know I showed great restraint in my post because like someone else has now pointed out, I also discovered that you had a great deal of abandoned caches (of various sizes come to find out) and that is a pet peeve of mine.

That said, I didn't want to assume :lol: that you were in a position to adopt out or care for your caches at that time. You never know what someone has gone through. My thinking is that you should express your gratitude to all cache owners who have not only hidden a cache (even little ones take some time and effort) but are also maintaining it and eagerly opening up their email to read the latest log on their cache ;)

I'm with you on the micros along park trails making me sad. I cache with up to four of my small children and a perfect day for us is finding a nice park full of swag-capable caches :D

Good points! I guess what I would really like is to somehow get together with new cachers and help them realize all the types of hides that are available. Then they could make their own judgments as to what kind of hides they want to hide. I have this sick feeling that micro's are breeding micro's. Maybe it's my fault for starting this all 5 years ago!

I agree...express your graditude for the effort. Or...I could always choose not to go for them. I wish there was a way to rate caches so we could know which ones might be more enjoyable then others.

Teeheeeheee!! And you look so... so... innocent!! ;) LOL!

I do believe logging them without thanking would be rude, actually.

I also agree some were probably on the defensive, with what seemed like a judgmental post about all micros. Heck, last time I checked, about 20% of my finds were micros. And I just wrote about a 200 word log for one last weekend.

And yeah, having the 36 micros, JoeSpaz's birthday micros #1-36 or whatever in 2004 probably didn't help. :D

Yes, "Found it" and nothing else looks rude to me. Now if you add a smiley it looks great, watch:

Found it ;)

Yes, but then, you knew that at post #1, didn't you?

I have this sick feeling that micro's are breeding micro's.

Lame caches breed lame caches. Size is irrelevant and I sure wish that we could keep that out of the conversation, Joe. But I do agree with you, given my changes. New cachers coming on the scene see what those of us that have been doing this for a while consider a "lame cache". They don't know that we have disdain for that style... all they know is that they find a lot of 'em, so... the vets must obviously love this style, so "let's put out some more and they are sure to love me!" That is a very real phenomenon, and the same logic extends all the way to those newcomers seeing all those "TFTC" logs, too. "Gee, they must like seeing TFTC in the logs!!"

Lame caches breed lame caches. Size is irrelevant and I sure wish that we could keep that out of the conversation, Joe. But I do agree with you, given my changes. New cachers coming on the scene see what those of us that have been doing this for a while consider a "lame cache". They don't know that we have disdain for that style... all they know is that they find a lot of 'em, so... the vets must obviously love this style, so "let's put out some more and they are sure to love me!" That is a very real phenomenon, and the same logic extends all the way to those newcomers seeing all those "TFTC" logs, too. "Gee, they must like seeing TFTC in the logs!!"

So...it seems like the best thing I could do is:

Hide caches like the ones I like to find

Write logs like the ones I like to read

Treat people like I want to be treated

Seems like my mom might have said this too!

Yes, but then, you knew that at post #1, didn't you?

Or should have but wanted people to back up rude behavior.

So...it seems like the best thing I could do is:

Hide caches like the ones I like to find

Write logs like the ones I like to read

Treat people like I want to be treated

Seems like my mom might have said this too!

Nirvana.

I agree...express your graditude for the effort. Or...I could always choose not to go for them. I wish there was a way to rate caches so we could know which ones might be more enjoyable then others.

If you use Firefox there is a way. While not many people use it depending on the area, so votes may be limited. You can download "grease monkey" which allows you to add modifications to specific sites. Adding "GC Vote" after you have "grease monkey" gives you the ability to rate caches and see the ratings provided by others. (Bigger font just for you Write Shop Robert :lol: )

If you haven't already done so, Joe... spend a few weeks going through the Cool Cache Containers thread. A good portion of those are micros. Yes... a good deal of lame caches are micros, because people that are likely to put out a lame cache are also likely to get their container from the trash can, and that container is likely to be something like a pill bottle. But there are some very fun, clever micros, and there are micros at breath taking locations.

That's what bothers me about having to filter out micros. There are some clever, fun micros out there but I miss out on them because 95% of micros are placed because they are easy to hide and easy to maintain and free to place, not because the CO is trying to provide a clever, fun, unique experience. However, one small solution I have found is to create a separate PQ for micros that have the "scenic" attribute - although it still irks me if the scenic location could support a larger container.

Edited by Lone R

That's what bothers me about having to filter out micros. There are some clever, fun micros out there but I miss out on them because 95% of micros are placed because they are easy to hide and easy to maintain and free to place, not because the CO is trying to provide a clever, fun, unique experience. However, one small solution I have found is to create a separate PQ for micros that have the "scenic" attribute - although it still irks me if the scenic location could support a larger container.

I guess I've just never fully bought into the notion of "largest container the site can support" concept. Instead, I prefer "best container idea the cacher can up with for the site".

Remember that 95% of all rocks are just rocks*. Sure is fun when you find a diamond, though.

* OK, I made that number up, but you get the idea

Tell me what you think?

I avoid this problem by avoiding caches I deem to be beneath my "fun standards." No Redeeming Value caches don't deserve glowing found it logs.

The lost art of logging Laziness or "monkey see, monkey do"?

Write a story or you're being disrespectful?

When I used to find crappy caches where I couldn't think of anything nice to say, I simply entered my find number. The owner of the cache was deeply offended when I left this honest log below:

March 17, 2006 by Kit Fox (1499 found)

I straddled the blackwater cesspool, and sifted through the trash until I found the cache. I used my back to block the curious eyes of Denny's patrons. The location leaves much to be desired.

Edited by Kit Fox

When I used to find crappy caches where I couldn't think of anything nice to say, I simply entered my find number. The owner of the cache was deeply offended when I left this honest log below...

I straddled the blackwater cesspool, and sifted through the trash until I found the cache. I used my back to block the curious eyes of Denny's patrons. The location leaves much to be desired.

I try to leave a positive log, constructive criticism, on the bad caches. Sometimes that's a real challenge. Lately, I just do a Pocket Query, and checkmark "Filter Out The Cr*ppy Ones". :lol:

But I've often done 2 or 3 paragraphs when logging Micros, even on the ones I DNF (which is most of those Micros).

Tell me what you think?

I like to read long logs, so when you mentioned that you are well-known for writing them I wanted to read them.

Your last log IS long... a rant about how crummy the cache site is. At least on that you're not alone, of the 100 Found It logs you are 1 of 3 to mention how trashy the area is.

The last nano log was "TFTC" which, interestingly, was the only log out of 56 for that cache which didn't have anything nice to say.

So yeah, I would say commenting negatively on the things you don't like about a cache is rude. Using TFTC as an insult to something you don't like is ruder yet.

TFTC means Thanks For The Cache; if you don't mean to express your thanks then write something else.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

No Redeeming Value caches don't deserve glowing found it logs.

I agree. That's why I don't even use the TFTC acronym as a nudge nudge wink wink way of saying the cache lacked any inclination of care and effort by the CO. The TFTC acronym includes the word "thanks" and I don't want to give the impression that I'm thankful for the experience. The implied "thanks" could encourage the placer to hide more of the same.

When I used to find crappy caches where I couldn't think of anything nice to say, I simply entered my find number. The owner of the cache was deeply offended when I left this honest log below:

March 17, 2006 by Kit Fox (1499 found)

:lol: Hopefully the CO, although offended, may double think before placing another cache like that one.

I find any caches that I can, I rarely, if ever, complain about them, although I do post NM and occasionally NA logs, and my finders logs are generally at least one full sentence. Sure, I prefer some over others, but the lesser ones simply provide greater contrast for the really good ones. And I have at least some fun with all of them. Imagine that!

The length of my logs is not based on the size of the geocache, nor on the experience of finding the geocache. The length of my logs is based on how much creativity, and effort the geocache owner puts into their geocache.

One time I found a geocache description that stated “This is just another easy cache in a City Park.” Um, okay? Is that it? No hint? No interesting trivia? Nothing? So I responded in my log by stating “Found it,” and that was it. :lol:

On the other hand, when geocachers put some energy, and dedication into their geocache, I show appreciation for their hard work by writing a long log for them to read about my experiences finding their geocache. :D

(Bigger font just for you Write Shop Robert :lol: )

Thanks, My eyes are getting older. I couldn't even read the bottom line at the DMV last time.

Next time, just press Ctrl and "+" to make the text larger (Ctrl+"-" to put it back) (assuming you are on a PC)

Wow, cool!! I knew this computer could do things I wasn't even using. I only use this thing for about .1% of what it can do.