Make Multi Caches True Multi Caches

Ma&PaD

I would like to see the multi-caches set up so you would get credit for a find at each cache. I just finished a multi-cache series which required 40 some miles of driving to hit 5 different cache requirements. If I am going to drive this kind of miles I would like credit for 5 caches. Won't pay for the gas but it would make me feel better. :laughing:

The geocaching scoring system is obviously broken.

I would like to see the number of points commensurate with the amount of effort that I put into a cache. I propose allowing the finder to enter a rating of 1 to 5 as to what they think the cache is worth. The system would average the ratings and award the number of smilies based on the average rating. After all the reason that we cache is to get smileys. It would make me feel better about spending time looking for harder caches when I could have been out grabbing park and grabs. I also think you should get bonus points for finding caches where you previously logged a DNF. :laughing:

Brilliant. I set up a multi-cache. Matchsafes every 75 - 150 feet along the trail, depending on cover. No restrictions on the distances, or number of stages, so at the end of say half a mile you've got somewhere around 30 smileys, oh and an ammo can, cause ammo cans are best.

Now that's a powertrail!

Why so far apart...Blinky on every pole.

Ah Here you go...Just paint a tiny number on each pole, saying how many feet or poles to the next stage.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT
I also think you should get bonus points for finding caches where you previously logged a DNF.

Don't be silly. You'd need a DNFing physical log then, to prove that you had actually DNFed the cache, and weren't just pretending not to have found it, to drive bonus points. Or something. I mean, the entire focus of the forums would have to shift to "what is it to really DNFed the cache"? and we'd all be waaay behind briansnat, who DNFs caches he's thought about finding, assuming he doesn't actually find them after that thought. (is that why he's geocacher of the decade?).

I would like to see the multi-caches set up so you would get credit for a find at each cache. I just finished a multi-cache series which required 40 some miles of driving to hit 5 different cache requirements. If I am going to drive this kind of miles I would like credit for 5 caches. Won't pay for the gas but it would make me feel better. :laughing:

This is ridiculous. If you don't want to do the distance, don't do the caches.

I would like to see the number of points commensurate with the amount of effort that I put into a cache. I propose allowing the finder to enter a rating of 1 to 5 as to what they think the cache is worth. The system would average the ratings and award the number of smilies based on the average rating. After all the reason that we cache is to get smileys. It would make me feel better about spending time looking for harder caches when I could have been out grabbing park and grabs. I also think you should get bonus points for finding caches where you previously logged a DNF. ;)

:laughing::laughing:

It depends on the cache owner how things are setup. I have a couple series, six traditional, smiley for each cache. There is a bonus cache you can find after finding the other six. The reviewer originally wanted me to set it up as a multi, but I got it the way I wanted it. You can look at it as a 7 stage multi if you want.

I'll sign your petetion.

I would like to see the number of points commensurate with the amount of effort that I put into a cache. I propose allowing the finder to enter a rating of 1 to 5 as to what they think the cache is worth. The system would average the ratings and award the number of smilies based on the average rating. After all the reason that we cache is to get smileys. It would make me feel better about spending time looking for harder caches when I could have been out grabbing park and grabs. I also think you should get bonus points for finding caches where you previously logged a DNF. :laughing:

Good idea but I would vary it a bit. We should have a geocaching score system that would rank every cacher. Each find should give you smileys to equal be the number of the terrain times the difficulty. DNFs should be worth half the total, just for the effort. Two DNFs should be worth a find because of the effort it took to get back. Three DNFS and you have to start over because nobody should go back after the first two. Lamp posts would be worth one smiley and if you do more than one lamp post in a day you get a smiley deducted just for the principle of it. The person with the most smileys at the end wins!

After all, who wants to take a 9 mile hike and scramble up a rock face, risking life and limb along the way, just for one smiley? Obviously not that many judging by the numbers who have done that particular cache. The only problem is that Groundspeak might run out of smileys and have to use those frogs instead. So it probably is best just to leave it the way it is.

In the meantime somebody can always put a few extra smileys in their personal log. along with a Wah-hoo or two. I always like seeing those.

Edited by Erickson

That does sound very frustrating as you presumably had no way of knowing going in that you would have to drive 40 miles :laughing: However if the mileage was in the cache description I would consider it similar to any cache that takes a long time to get to but that you feel is worth it for the view/exercise/etc ;) It doesn't sound like that was the case though.

As to your suggestion, there are some multi-caches where the steps are not a cache (coordinates might be written on a rock for example) so technically a cache wouldn't have been found. The way it's currently set up allows wiggle room for a little creativity.

It IS nice when a multi is set up as several caches you find and then a mystery cache with finding them all as the requirement. But really a different kind of animal since you have the coordinates for all right off the bat.

You got "credit" when you logged your find. In your profile it says you found a multi.

Edited by briansnat

Guys this is this member's first post ever, not that everyone isn't deserving of politeness but could we please be constructive and kind when expressing our opinions?

OK.

Multi Caches just are not intended to be used that way. They are created as something for seekers who are willing/interested in the fun and extra challenge, regardless of whether they get a smiley. You could always ask permission to log the find more than once. That's allowed if the Cache Owner allows it. I own ONE Cache that allows two find logs.

Guys this is this member's first post ever, not that everyone isn't deserving of politeness but could we please be constructive and kind when expressing our opinions?

Point well taken. I should not post when I am in a cynical mood. As to multis, most at least give me some inclination of what I am in for, and I can decide whether to do them or not. Like any other cache.

There are, certainly, sites that keep score, generally based on the sheer number of finds that a person can collect. I have seen local scores, state scores, and world scores. - and sometimes thought that if I were to develop a site like that, I would incorporate a system based on terrain and difficulty, as well as the caches that one hides, to give a more accurate reflection of the time and effort it takes. But for most of us, keeping score is not the goal of caching. Hopefully the multi brings a person to places that are worth seeing, or an adventure that is worth taking.

When Groundspeak posts the number of finds, I don't think of it as being a score. For me it is a way to know the experience of a cacher so I can weigh that when I turn to the logs and wonder if anybody else has been able to find what I am seeking. But the number of finds, the "score" you might be able to get, is really just a reflection of time, geography, and personal circumstances and means only what you give it.

So I appreciate caches that are lined up in a series, allowing a find for each. But I would feel just as good having done a multi that gave me a different experience and something fun to do. And the advantage of a multi is that you only have to write a single online log.

Edited by Erickson

If you were to give a smilie for each stage I bet there would be a lot of unfinished multis - cachers would just do the easy stages.

Then again maybe if people knew they were at least apt to get a smilie they might attempt the tougher ones. Who knows- maybe even keep at it until all stages are found.

Still somehow the integrity of the cache seems lost if you don't complete it.

1. OP has been caching since '04, I think he should expect lots of negativity with a proposal like that.

2. When doing far flung multis, I tend to do them over many days. There's a great multistage in Fremont that took me about a month to do all 5 stages. And they're not even that far apart. There's a 10 stage multi in the Bay Area and I'm still at 3 after more than a year.

3. If you want to "claim" 5 smilies, log 5 "found it" on the cache. Make sure you square it with the CO first. I've always thought the reward for finding a cache is the fun and satisfaction, but I'm strange that way.

It IS nice when a multi is set up as several caches you find and then a mystery cache with finding them all as the requirement. But really a different kind of animal since you have the coordinates for all right off the bat.

I usually don't bother with these caches. I might find the traditionals if they fall into my path, but I rarely ever do the final "puzzle" segments. I'd much rather go out and find a good multi-cache.

There are enough traditional caches as it is.

Brilliant. I set up a multi-cache. Matchsafes every 75 - 150 feet along the trail, depending on cover. No restrictions on the distances, or number of stages, so at the end of say half a mile you've got somewhere around 30 smileys, oh and an ammo can, cause ammo cans are best.

Now that's a powertrail!

Interesting point I would have never thought about. Then again, the folks in Wisconsin and Ohio already figured out how to "get credit" for caches placed 75 feet apart years ago. :lol: I'm glad I don't cache to "get credit".

Now that's a powertrail!

Interesting point I would have never thought about. Then again, the folks in Wisconsin and Ohio already figured out how to "get credit" for caches placed 75 feet apart years ago. :lol: I'm glad I don't cache to "get credit".

And don't think people won't do it. Actually there is nothing preventing them from doing it now other than the fact that it might not have occurred to most people.

I would like to see the multi-caches set up so you would get credit for a find at each cache. I just finished a multi-cache series which required 40 some miles of driving to hit 5 different cache requirements. If I am going to drive this kind of miles I would like credit for 5 caches. Won't pay for the gas but it would make me feel better. :lol:

This is ridiculous. If you don't want to do the distance, don't do the caches.

For a Multi with 40 miles of driving, it would be nice for the CO to warn you. Then you can choose to do it or not.

If you want to setup a multi the way you were suggesting, you just have to set up individual puzzle caches as a series. Easy enough.

Somewhat OT

I dis-like multi-caches that are not multi at all, they turn out to be a puzzle cache that you get your clues from on site things. When I see these, I always skip them. If I wanted a puzzle cache, I would have searched in the puzzle/unknown catagory, not the multi catagory.

Edited by Andronicus

Now that's a powertrail!

And don't think people won't do it. Actually there is nothing preventing them from doing it now other than the fact that it might not have occurred to most people.

Or they just pass around the final coordinates. Happens here, I know.

Now that's a powertrail!

Wow, imagine the fun COs can have with those types by moving the final cache periodically.

Wow, imagine the fun COs can have with those types by moving the final cache periodically.

I like that idea. I have a time consumeing, but not to dificult puzzle. A few finders have reported things like "thats to Bob for helping me on the puzzle". Changing the coordinates a bit may change the help from "giving the answer" to "a push in the right direction".

Edited by Andronicus

I would like to see the multi-caches set up so you would get credit for a find at each cache. I just finished a multi-cache series which required 40 some miles of driving to hit 5 different cache requirements. If I am going to drive this kind of miles I would like credit for 5 caches. Won't pay for the gas but it would make me feel better. :lol:

Did you have fun? Did you do other caches within the 40 miles of driving? If you didn't maybe you should plan to do this next time.

If there was no way to know that a multi was going to require 40 miles of driving then I'd make a clear mention of it in my log to encourage the CO to change the description and to warn future finders.

If it was reasonably clear that there was going to be that amount of driving involved then I dont think you can complain. Choose to find it or choose to ignore it.

I would like to see the multi-caches set up so you would get credit for a find at each cache. I just finished a multi-cache series which required 40 some miles of driving to hit 5 different cache requirements. If I am going to drive this kind of miles I would like credit for 5 caches. Won't pay for the gas but it would make me feel better. :blink:

First. Keep in mind I don't like multi caches. However I think they have a place in this activity.

5 finds for 5 legs is nothing more than 5 individual caches and not a multi. So if the cache owner wanted you to have 5 finds they would have set up 5 caches.

That said, I do think there is some room for each "leg" of the multi to have an independant log. The site needs to track the legs anyway. Call them legs. That way you may get 1 Multi Find but 4 legs along the way. Or if you have my luck, a lot of legs but no multi finds.

Your cache stats may then be.

200 Regular

3 Multi

470 Legs.

You could do the same thing for event caches.

200 Regular.

3 Multi

470 Legs

1 Event

1093490280 Event Only Caches.

1 Event Pocket Cache.

I think I should get a smiley for every mile the cache is away from my home coordinates. Heck, make it kilometers and then I could get 60% more.

That would be a great way to generate a score. Urbanites could find 500 caches and have a smaller score than the guy who drove 1000 miles.

It wold be yet another way to skin the stats cat and have some fun.

Everyone plays the game different and there are different types of caches to suit everyones way of playing. I think that if multis get changed to a smilie per stage they would get abused to where there are caches every 50ft since there is no restriction between stages.

There are a couple "multi's" here in our area (Reno, NV) that are a traditional for the first stage, then each stage after that is a puzzle cache. You go to each stage and it gives clues to the next. This might be a solution to the point for each stage problem. It still keeps the spirit of a multi, allows the ALR's of puzzles, but you still get the smilie for each cache.

Personally I absolutely love a great multi, for me I get much more satisfaction out of finding a fun and difficult multi, than finding 30 LPC's. I think if you're that concerned about numbers go on a traditional run.

So I guess you are new here. I don't think that what you want is part of the general forum behaviour.

There is a reason one of the moderator calls himself Nomex

You know, I think I'll buck the trend a bit and side with the OP in the sense that I'd never really fight for this, but in a way, it does make sense. The traditional cache is "find something, log that you found it". The multi says, "Find many things, log that you found one of them". So, already it isn't fair to only get one smiley for the multi. Now, figure in the fact that the multi may prove to be unfindable, but that you don't know that until you finally DNF the nth stage, that one smiley is looking ever more valuable. Given that you may not have realized when starting out that it is a nine stage multi instead of a simple two stage multi...

I rest my case, your honor.

You know, I think I'll buck the trend a bit and side with the OP in the sense that I'd never really fight for this, but in a way, it does make sense. The traditional cache is "find something, log that you found it". The multi says, "Find many things, log that you found one of them". So, already it isn't fair to only get one smiley for the multi. Now, figure in the fact that the multi may prove to be unfindable, but that you don't know that until you finally DNF the nth stage, that one smiley is looking ever more valuable. Given that you may not have realized when starting out that it is a nine stage multi instead of a simple two stage multi...

I rest my case, your honor.

Well, I had a two stage multi with part two only 20 feet away, so I'll be darned if anyone's getting two smileys for that. The main Cache was only 20 feet away because it wouldn't fit where I wanted it.