Flood prone areas

Anybody here have caches in flood prone areas? I live in an area that typically has some flooding every year. There is always lots of debris left behind when the floodwaters go down. Sadly, you can find lots of litter, not just driftwood/etc. We've even had refrigerators and washingmachines float onto some of the land my family owns.

Do you sometimes feel like you're fighting a loosing battle? icon_frown.gif

I haven't placed any caches, but I know when I do there is a chance some of them will be in areas that flood. I know I'm gonna hate finding trash that wasn't even littered in that area - stuff that just floated in icon_frown.gif

SouthDeltan

I don't have a cache in a flood prone area but I do live between two creeks that often overflow after hard rains. I never cease to be amazed and disgusted by the amount and variety of garbage that collects and settles when the flood waters receed.

Cleaning up areas like this does seem like a losing battle, but the alternative (not cleaning them) is unthinkable. There'd be trash up to our armpits!

I can't understand why people can't dispose of waste in a more suitable manner. It isn't that hard....

I live very near the mouth of the klamath river in northern ca.Unfortinatly we are the recipient of all the trash that enters the whole length of the river.Last year the local indian tribe called the Yuroks,organized a river clean-up day.It was a great success,we picked up tons of trash.We literly picked up tons,I think around 5 or 6 thousand pounds.They gave everybody a tee-shirt with all the local buisneses that sponsored on the back with a cool logo on the front.They had door prizes and a free salmon barbeque.Several of us have jet-boats and the tribe had two of theirs to shuttle the people around the mouth and to pick up the bags of garbage along the riverbank that everybody picked up.I can't wait for it again this year.I met a lot of really nice people and had a blast picking up garbage,go figure! icon_biggrin.gif

fishin'fool was here!

I live and work along a river which like most is prone to rise and may reach flood level. We adopted a cache that was placed in a flood plain meadow. With first snow melt, we had to relocate it to higher ground, otherwise it would have been trash or mystery cache at another location down stream.

Since this introduction of trash into the riverways and their subsequent redistribution happens each spring, there is always something to be found on our annual Earth Day cleanups.

Rhode Island Earth Day CITO by ZAP the Blackstone River

We get two jobs whenever we have a flood. We clear the resulting trash/rubbish and we also help get cars clear from the floodwater because they 'didn't realise the water was that deep'.

By coincidence, we planted our first cache on one last Sunday (GCGHEB). We will add pictures when I can get them. maybe we should add CITO bags to the cache.

Andy and Dawn

(Where did all this wine come from ?)