Pseudo-religious, but not really, coin

tachoknight

Hi all-

I was thinking about a coin design around "Cacheu, Master of Finds". Obviously it's a play on Vishnu, but in each of the arms the character would be holding a different cache icon.

This is just a really rough idea, but was wondering if there was any particular policy about themes that might seem possibly, no matter how remotely, objectionable to others. Of course this is all in good fun, but I can appreciate people react differently to something like this than others. As a proactive measure, I replaced "God" with "Master" in the title above, presuming that would likely be the first and biggest issue.

Just wondering; I'd like to expand on the idea a bit but won't bother if it's not going to be approved and if people would be offended.

It would be up to Groundspeak to approve or deny the idea, so you may want to contact them first about your idea before spinning your wheels. :laughing:

As far as the coin itself if Groundspeak approves the design and it is something you want to do then you should do it.

I don't think you can make a coin that will universally please everyone. Have fun with it and let the people that would enjoy the coin enjoy it. :laughing:

I was thinking about a coin design around "Cacheu, Master of Finds". Obviously it's a play on Vishnu, but in each of the arms the character would be holding a different cache icon.

You could call it "Ctacheu" where it becomes a play on "Cthulhu" instead of "Vishnu". No follower of Cthulhu would be upset, because they know that in the end, the Great Old Ones would rise from the ocean and devour you :lol:

You could call it "Ctacheu" where it becomes a play on "Cthulhu" instead of "Vishnu". No follower of Cthulhu would be upset, because they know that in the end, the Great Old Ones would rise from the ocean and devour you :lol:

ROFLMAO!

I tend to worry more about upsetting the god in question more than the humans! Having said that, I named a BattleBot "Shiva" and revamped the classic pose of Lord Shiva in the Nataraja form: he's standing on a wedge bot instead of the demon of ignorance, and instead of the drum he's holding a wrench. I'm not TOO worried about it since Lord Shiva is known for liking games, and combat robots seems like a game he'd get a kick out of.

I like it. Would it be a requirement to only place the coins in caches at the bottom of the sea? :D

I was thinking about a coin design around "Cacheu, Master of Finds". Obviously it's a play on Vishnu, but in each of the arms the character would be holding a different cache icon ... This is just a really rough idea, but was wondering if there was any particular policy about themes that might seem possibly, no matter how remotely, objectionable to others.

You could go with "Cacheu, God of Finds" if you want as the Bhagavad Gita mentions there are 40 million gods living in the stomach of a cow. Cacheu could just as easily be one of those. The Simpsons send Hinduism (and other religions) up all the time. I haven't heard of anyone bombing their animation studio. There are fanatics in all religions. Would a fanatic Vishnu follower discover your coin one day and then seek you out? Who knows.

Consider this; Would you be offended by a "Jesus Goes Caching" coin; a coin depicting Jesus in the forest with a GPS in hand? Do you think some people would be offended by it? Would you make the Jesus Goes Caching coin if Groundspeak gave approval for the design? I'd probably buy both coins but thats just me. Should any particular religion be sent up? Should some religions be sent up but not others? Should they all be sent up?

BTW; I think "Pseudo-religious, but not really" is the same as "Pseudo-pregnant, but not really". Do you really believe anyone is not going to think your coin is a parody of Hinduism? Does anyone out there consider themselves "Pseudo-religious, but not really"? I know some people say they are spiritual but don't follow a religion but we all know they are just embarrassed to admit they are Jedi

As far as Groundspeak policy goes; I assume you want the coin to be trackable?

signed

haysonics, Jedi Master (out of the closet at last)

Edited by haysonics

Consider this; Would you be offended by a "Jesus Goes Caching" coin; a coin depicting Jesus in the forest with a GPS in hand? Do you think some people would be offended by it? Would you make the Jesus Goes Caching coin if Groundspeak gave approval for the design? I'd probably buy both coins but thats just me. Should any particular religion be sent up? Should some religions be sent up but not others? Should they all be sent up?

I like it; I could see the line under the Jesus coin: "Never Logs a DNF"

BTW; I think "Pseudo-religious, but not really" is the same as "Pseudo-pregnant, but not really". Do you really believe anyone is not going to think your coin is a parody of Hinduism? Does anyone out there consider themselves "Pseudo-religious, but not really"? I know some people say they are spiritual but don't follow a religion but we all know they are just embarrassed to admit they are Jedi

I guess I just meant that the coin itself did not actually mean to push a particular religion; like you said, it's using a particular image but without the underlying meaning.

I do recall there was a coin I saw that was a combination of three crosses with the phrase something like "Nothing counts so much as when you log in this book" and the back had "The Book of Life" written on the bottom (or something like that...I only saw it once). I have absolutely no problem with it, it was actually a pretty cool design. I figured that was good precedent if you wanted to make a "real" religious coin; I wasn't so sure my idea fell in the same category.

I was thinking about a coin design around "Cacheu, Master of Finds". Obviously it's a play on Vishnu, but in each of the arms the character would be holding a different cache icon ... This is just a really rough idea, but was wondering if there was any particular policy about themes that might seem possibly, no matter how remotely, objectionable to others.

You could go with "Cacheu, God of Finds" if you want as the Bhagavad Gita mentions there are 40 million gods living in the stomach of a cow. Cacheu could just as easily be one of those. The Simpsons send Hinduism (and other religions) up all the time. I haven't heard of anyone bombing their animation studio. There are fanatics in all religions. Would a fanatic Vishnu follower discover your coin one day and then seek you out? Who knows.

As far as Groundspeak policy goes; I assume you want the coin to be trackable?

signed

haysonics, Jedi Master (out of the closet at last)

If Jesus went caching, which I assume that he would (He kind of liked walking out in the middle of God's land), would he rather find an ammo box .... or a micro?

His name is Richard Garriott.... some Euro zillionaire/politician I think

Richard Garriott is the developer of the Ultima game series, better known as Lord British. I'm not sure where his money came from - Ultima was very big in its day, but the market was not as big back in the 80s.

He's from here in Austin, TX and yes, he got his start from Ultima (where his geo-handle comes from). He is still in the game development industry. For more info, see Ricahard Garriott - Wikipedia.

As asked above, will this be trackable?

Absolutely; my interest is generally only in trackables. I love seeing where it's been as much as the design itself.

I thought we were allowed to talk about coin designs whether trackable or not but not allowed to sell if they aren't trackable.

I believe that is the case as well. I assume Eartha needed to know whether the coin is intended to be trackable as Groundspeak policy only comes into play in regards to approval for trackables. If Eartha is asking the powers that be about it she may wish to inquire about the Jesus Goes Caching idea as well. Its also in that grey area. It neither promotes nor mocks Christianity but does use the central character of the religion. Vishnu is (for some) the central character in Hinduism. For others it is Brahma or Indra.

Edited by haysonics

I believe that is the case as well. I assume Eartha needed to know whether the coin is intended to be trackable as Groundspeak policy only comes into play in regards to approval for trackables. If Eartha is asking the powers that be about it she may wish to inquire about the Jesus Goes Caching idea as well. Its also in that grey area. It neither promotes nor mocks Christianity but does use the central character of the religion. Vishnu is (for some) the central character in Hinduism. For others it is Brahma or Indra.

Exactly, because the design would have to be approved by Groundspeak. Unless the geocoin is offensive, most would be approved. What they look for mostly in the trackable design is the language and use of logos (see the pinned policy thread). Track this coin at www.geocaching.com, Trackable at www.geocaching.com or words to those effect must be on the coin. And room for the tracking number. So, why don't you come up with the design and run it past them. The other coin you refer to with the crosses was called Cachers For Christ, I believe.

Personally, if I saw Cacheu, I wouldn't have associated with Vishnu, at first glance in this thread I thought it was a play on Cashew.... Cachew.... Now if you had said Cachenu, it might have registered as a play on Vishnu, along with the text.

And no, I am not the one to run it by Groundspeak, it's up to the customer to have their design approved.