Old Magellan --- Windows7 trouble

Woodstramp

I know some folks here still use Magellan Explorists and Mapsend Topo 3D, so maybe there is a solution to a problem I'm having....

A virus killed my PC. I was running XP, now it's got Windows7.

Problem #1- Explorists spontaniously "lose" thier basemaps, so I did have a copy saved, but lost it with the virus crash. I connected the Explorist to my PC in File Transfer Mode, as usual. PC saw it and the file folder where the Basemap is located in the Explorist's internal memory. When I click on that "Background Maps" folder nothing shows. Right click and "properties" indicates that the basemap is there because that folder is 8.12 Mb in size. Is there a way to make Win7 see a hidden file?

Problem #2- Tried an install of Mapsend Topo 3D, but got an error code 02 and install wouldn't work.

Thanks.

I know some folks here still use Magellan Explorists and Mapsend Topo 3D, so maybe there is a solution to a problem I'm having....

Problem #1- Explorists spontaniously "lose" thier basemaps, so I did have a copy saved, but lost it with the virus crash. I connected the Explorist to my PC in File Transfer Mode, as usual. PC saw it and the file folder where the Basemap is located in the Explorist's internal memory. When I click on that "Background Maps" folder nothing shows. Right click and "properties" indicates that the basemap is there because that folder is 8.12 Mb in size. Is there a way to make Win7 see a hidden file?

Open Explorer, go to the folder. Select Organize (top left), then "Folder and Search Options" then click on View, and finally "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Problem #2- Tried an install of Mapsend Topo 3D, but got an error code 02 and install wouldn't work.

Thanks.

Oh good luck with this. MapSend hated XP Service Pack 2. Myself, I'd be putting a copy of Windows XP inside a VMWare Player session, or try using Windows 7 XP Mode.

Open Explorer, go to the folder. Select Organize (top left), then "Folder and Search Options" then click on View, and finally "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Oh good luck with this. MapSend hated XP Service Pack 2. Myself, I'd be putting a copy of Windows XP inside a VMWare Player session, or try using Windows 7 XP Mode.

Northern,

I tried you instructions but I still can see the 8GB hidden file. It is still there, just invisible.

Thanks for those links.....got them bookmarked for study.

To install MapSend, try this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=241496&hl=

Thanks.

Fishgeek,

I went to that link where you posted the "how to" on this:

--------

Try this:

1. Put the install CD 1 in your CD drive.

2. Click "Open Folder to View Files" from the auto start menu or open Windows Explorer.

3. Find Setup.exe in the main directory of the CD.

4. Right click on it and then left click on "Properties".

5. Click on the "Compatibility" tab.

6. Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box.

7. Select Windows XP from the pulldown menu below the box.

8. Click "OK".

9. Go back to the Setup.exe file and double-click on it.

The program should now install.

---------

Well, that worked! Thanks a bunch.

Installed Mapsend and I also installed Conversion Manager. Played with it and even decided to create a new map to test check and make sure everything is OK.

So far I was able to cut a region and save it. Only problem now is when I go through an old tutorial (on how to convert these .rgn files to .imi files) in Conversion Manager so that the maps can be used on the Explorist, the Conversion Manager does not "see" my SD card.

Kind of strange, because I can "see" all the other old files when I take a peek at the card from "Computer". My PC can see the card reader, but Conversion Manager can't.

Fishgeek,

I went to that link where you posted the "how to" on this:

--------

Try this:

1. Put the install CD 1 in your CD drive.

2. Click "Open Folder to View Files" from the auto start menu or open Windows Explorer.

3. Find Setup.exe in the main directory of the CD.

4. Right click on it and then left click on "Properties".

5. Click on the "Compatibility" tab.

6. Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box.

7. Select Windows XP from the pulldown menu below the box.

8. Click "OK".

9. Go back to the Setup.exe file and double-click on it.

The program should now install.

---------

Well, that worked! Thanks a bunch.

Installed Mapsend and I also installed Conversion Manager. Played with it and even decided to create a new map to test check and make sure everything is OK.

So far I was able to cut a region and save it. Only problem now is when I go through an old tutorial (on how to convert these .rgn files to .imi files) in Conversion Manager so that the maps can be used on the Explorist, the Conversion Manager does not "see" my SD card.

Kind of strange, because I can "see" all the other old files when I take a peek at the card from "Computer". My PC can see the card reader, but Conversion Manager can't.

I'm in the process of installing my apps in Windows 7 home 64 bit.

To get MapSend Topo 3D to install, I had to set compatibility mode to XP AND run it as administrator.

Running it once installed successfully, it claimed I didn't have the data CD in the drive when I did. Luckily the patch to run Topo3D without the CD in the drive ( http://freightyard.net/projects/MagellanGPS/ ) fixed that problem. :blink:

Conversion Manager installed no problem (?) but it refuses to recognize my Explorist is plugged in, even though Windows shows it as a drive no problem. Ugh... so I installed GPSBabel and had it convert wpt to upt format and used Windows to copy the upt file to my Explorist. That seems to work fine.

To transfer map regions, I don't think I need to use Conversion Manager at all, but just copy the .imi file created by MapSend when using save on hard drive option (I haven't tried this yet).

MapSend Direct Route seemed to install OK but now refuses to run (flashes up the MapSend logo window then disappears into nothingness). O-o.

Sue

Vinny & Sue Team

I know this is an old thread, but I also tried installing Topo 3D on my Win7 machine, by using Properties->Compatibility, etc..

After about 4 failures, I said the heck with it, I'll give it one more try...Only this time I'll select XP SP2 mode (instead of SP3, which I was trying)...

Well, what do you know?... It installed on the 1st try using XP SP2 (vs SP3) mode..

Hopefully this will save someone some time and hair pulling in the future.

Thanks Fishgeek for the solution to this problem. I also have an older XP and was having to use that instead of my Win7 laptop. Now if I can just solve the three times and your out problem with Mapsend. After three installs, you have to reinstall the software. :)

I had the same problem, switching between my Meridian Gold and my 500. The only advice I have is to make any map that that you can possibly think that you may need for one unit before switching to the next. Anyways, the data on MapSend Topo has to be archaic by now.

Unfortunately, the 500 decided that it did not want to talk to satellites any more, and the Merigold got put on the shelf. I just ordered a new Win7 CPU that has a serial port. I may have to pull it out and see how it compares to my "modern" units.

I've found the Windows-Vista drivers of x86 (32-bit) DO work under Windows-7 (x64, 64-bit). but it's still a trial and error.. I never liked how Microsoft loves to force obsolescence. There are some work-arounds, but if Microsoft is unwilling to support it, and the hardware manufacturer is either out of business, or unwilling to update a driver for the older hardware, You're sunk. Which is why I keep an old Pentium-1 laptop which still runs XP. And then there's DOS-BOX, which helps on both Windows-7, and Linux platforms.