Signature item

Hi guys,

I was thinking about what I would like to use as my signature piece of swag that I drop in every box. I want it be unique, memorable and have something to do with me. I'm big into hunting and shooting so I was thinking I could leave spent bullet casings. These are the small brass tubes that pop out of the gun after you pull the trigger. Obviously they are completely harmless, they are simply brass tubes. However I'm wondering if this would be a bad idea? I guess to someone with no idea they could look like live rounds. I'm rather new to the swag game, what do you guys think?

I've seen them used before, after they were painted. If you find a way to mark it with your name(stamped, painted, Etc) or package it in a baggie with a team card, then it will be more than some random trash in the Cache. If it's not marked as a sigitem, would anyone know that it wasn't just something picked up off the ground somewhere?

It can be great if you put the right effort into using these

Hi guys,

I was thinking about what I would like to use as my signature piece of swag that I drop in every box. I want it be unique, memorable and have something to do with me. I'm big into hunting and shooting so I was thinking I could leave spent bullet casings. These are the small brass tubes that pop out of the gun after you pull the trigger. Obviously they are completely harmless, they are simply brass tubes. However I'm wondering if this would be a bad idea? I guess to someone with no idea they could look like live rounds. I'm rather new to the swag game, what do you guys think?

I think that even people with no idea will know the difference between a live round and an empty casing.

Hi guys,

I think that even people with no idea will know the difference between a live round and an empty casing.

Giving odds? I'll take that bet!

Previous threads have shown pros and cons, dealing with expended cartridges.

Some see such as junk, trash, or just plain dangerous. Others see it differently.

The OP refers to it as swag, so my question is if you are trading equal or up, just what in the world are you taking as the trade? The broken mctoys, i hope.

I think these would be good as a sig item. If you have larger cartridge, you may be able to sign it with a sharpie. Or drill a hole through it, and attatch a personal, laminated, GeoCaching Business signature card, with a small tie wrap or similar.

Edited by Mini-Geek

I actually collect sig items and have a box full of them. If it's just the casing, I would probably remove it thinking it's just trash. If it had something to show that it was your sig item, I would add it to my collection as a sig item. I actually just removed two spent shotgun shells from one of my caches out in the desert. Now I'm wondering if they may have been sig items afterall. <_<

Edited by simpjkee

If you can somehow personalize it, then it would be a sig item.

If it's just the brass, it's trash.

Word.

I'm not a gun nut by a long shot but I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference. Does that guarantee that somewhere somebody won't FREAK THE HECK OUT? I guess it's possible. I wouldn't let that stop you- but yeah, make it cool- don't just plop a spent shell in the cache. That's about as neat-o as my spent contact lenses.

Hi guys,

rifleman81 makes something very similar to what you are talking about. i like the keychain thing on the open end.

RifleMan81sig.jpg

Out here in the desert you're pretty likely to find shell casing close to non-urban caches, so a casing without any marking would probably look like random junk like many have said.

I think it would be cool if you polished them up real quick, then maybe put a sticker on them with a cool design. You can buy sticker sheets cheap at craft stores, and print them on a color printer. Maybe put the sticker on then hit the shells with a coat of clear so they dont tarnish again. Personally I think that would be a pretty slick sig item. It shows your interest outside of geocaching, and is definitely different than the standard wooden coins.

Why would you want to waste good brass RELOAD lol. On a more serious note, I agree, with out some personalization they'd probably just look like trash. The addition of a keyring like shown above would definatly solve the concern with people thinking they're live ammo (i hope). Personally, being a gun guy I'd love something like that.

Another suggestion for you on attaching the chain if you decide to, knock the primer out the back, and epoxy a carter pin (ask at the hardware store) into the hole. A friend of mine has done that before, and now that you've reminded me of it, I might start making some of them my self.

Edited by james__12345

Wow! 15 replies that are basically all in agreement! I will definitely find a way to personalize the casings. It's a good excuse to go to the range and fire some large caliber bullets. Thanks guys

I would LOVE a 50 bmg keychain ;) talk about large caliber <_< I actually just found a 357 case the other day, but just a case, no keychain, no name on it, just the case. Still traded one of my keychains for it though. I'm thinking I might make some of those soon. I think I'll start with the steel case 7.62 I've got.