Ham Fisted user goofs Invisible Shield install

JSWilson64

So I was trying to apply a Zagg Invisible Shield to my new Oregon, and totally borked it. Wound up stuck to itself, and then in the effort to unfold it, I dropped it. Murphy's law was in full effect - it landed sticky side down on the instruction sheet, and pulled away bits of paper.

:blink:

Anyway, I've got to order a new one and try again, and was looking for tips. I read a while back to do it under water - does that work with the Oregon? I know it's supposed to be waterproof, but then I read that the Colorado turned out to be not so waterproof after all...

Any other tips for the large-handed, clumsy segment of the population to successfully apply one of these things?

So I was trying to apply a Zagg Invisible Shield to my new Oregon, and totally borked it. Wound up stuck to itself, and then in the effort to unfold it, I dropped it. Murphy's law was in full effect - it landed sticky side down on the instruction sheet, and pulled away bits of paper.

<_<

Anyway, I've got to order a new one and try again, and was looking for tips. I read a while back to do it under water - does that work with the Oregon? I know it's supposed to be waterproof, but then I read that the Colorado turned out to be not so waterproof after all...

Any other tips for the large-handed, clumsy segment of the population to successfully apply one of these things?

I did all of my GPSr's and found the best way to install these things is to take it over to the sink.

Wash hands well.

Plug the sink and turn on luke warm water.

Use the sponge to clean and wet screen.

Wet hands well under running water.

Remove Zagg from backing and run under water with both hands. Get both sides completely wetted.

While hands and Zagg are still dripping wet apply to screen and adjust to fit screen.

Drain off excess water on screen.

Dry hands now.

Carefully knead the Zagg to remove larger bubbles without moving position of Zagg on screen. Now use card to GENTLY remove smaller bubbles. Let air dry.

There may still be some tiny bubbles left that will work themselves out with time or you can use a hair dryer 8-10 inches from the csreen on WARM setting. When Zagg gets warm NOT hot to the touch, gently knead out the remaining bubbles as well as possible.

That should do the trick for you. All five of mine are perfect using the exact same procedure.

Good luck.

N

Yes, you can install it under water. Take the batteries out first.

If you don't want to go that route, my best advice is to use the provided spray liberally. You can't use too much of it. And be sure to spray it on your fingers before you handle the sheet (don't use regular water). The wetter you get it, the easier it will be to reposition, and the easier it will be to squeeze out any bubbles.

I'd also suggest viewing the installation videos on their website.

One other thing I do is to use rubber gloves. I use the medical ones because I work for the fire department and have access to them. This way I don't leave any finger prints. I spray or now use the sponge liberally on the gloves so they are really wet. I also get the screen really wet and just slide the screen around until I'm happy with where its at then use the squeegee to make it stick in place.

In addition, I would suggest activating your warranty for the invisible shield BEFORE installation

Actually, I wondered about that one. Other than that is what we were told to do, why?

Thanks for sharing the tips - I've installed it a few times, never got it perfect. For those with a recessed LCD, I never get all the corners perfect. It's worse installing it on products that are not waterproof.

Edited by Chrysalides
In addition, I would suggest activating your warranty for the invisible shield BEFORE installation

Actually, I wondered about that one. Other than that is what we were told to do, why?

Thanks for sharing the tips - I've installed it a few times, never got it perfect. For those with a recessed LCD, I never get all the corners perfect. It's worse installing it on products that are not waterproof.

So it's under warranty if you goof up. At least that's what I am assuming. Zagg is really good with their warranty.

So it's under warranty if you goof up. At least that's what I am assuming. Zagg is really good with their warranty.

Zagg says it is not responsible for installation goofs.

"Installation errors are not covered by the replacement guarantee. This includes bubbles under the invisibleSHIELD film, as well as incorrect alignment of the shield on your device."

The easiest way to install any type of "invisible shield" is to take a bowl of water and add a couple of drops of dish soap to it, then peel off the backing from the shield and put it in the water.

You'll then pull it out of the water and be able to place it on top of your screen, sometimes taking your finger and rubbing some of the soapy water on the screen will help it "float" as well.

Once it's all aligned, take a credit card (or drivers license, or food rewards card) and use it to squeegee the shield to the screen. Do you best to remove any bubbles at this point and as the water dries it will stick to the screen.

Some people like to use Windex, however the ammonia will sometimes interact with the adhesive and cause it not to stick anymore...