Wool Socks

polskikrol

Anyone have any recommendations on wool socks for the winter cold and wetness? Also, any recommendations on where one can get these on the cheap? I could care less about designs on them, etc and am trying to find a way to get these in bulk.

Learn to knit. Custom fit wool sox=priceless.

If that's not an option, try one of the discount outfitters, like Sierra Trading Post. I just got some wool/silk sox for spring hiking and paid around $7 per pair.

Anyone have any recommendations on wool socks for the winter cold and wetness? Also, any recommendations on where one can get these on the cheap? I could care less about designs on them, etc and am trying to find a way to get these in bulk.

Wigwam Has some good quality Merino wool hikers. They're not cheap but will last nearly twice as long.

The important thing to realize with wool socks is that they need some polyester in them to wick away moisture from your feet. If on a long hike in the snow, carry dry socks in your pack in case what you are wearing gets cold and wet.

We went to Cabela's last month and they had SmartWool midweights at three bucks a pair hanging in the footwear section. They intentially make you look around for the "real" bargains. CJ gave me odd looks (like I was embarassing her) when I put twenty pair in the cart !

- also gave the same looks when I hit the ammo section - special on 223. <_<

Once in a while Dick's will have WigWam merino wool socks on sale, but you'll need to stop in to spot 'em. They also carry a cashmere wool sock. Both seem to last forever, they're probably the most comfortable wool socks I've ever worn and definately grab 'em if they're on sale. They usually don't advertise socks.

Rarely, Sierra Trading Post will have some wool socks on sale.

There used to be a sock outlet in this area (Tannersville Crossings) that had both SmartWool and WigWam. Not sure if they're still there. If an outlet's near you, might be worth a look.

I haven't worn cotton socks in eight years. Usually wool or coolmax year-round.

Edited by cerberus1

Initial outlay may not make them cheap, but when you factor in the almost unlimited lifespan and amortize them, it's hard to beat SmartWool. Wigwam is almost as good.

OMG, has it come to this? Amortizing socks! Sheesh.

you mean, you haven't been amortizing your underwear, what planet you live on? ;)

<_<

Smartwool are the best hiking socks I've ever owned.

I agree that Smartwool are the best I have owned.

I like the Mountaineering Extra Heavy Crew best with 83% Merino wool. It is the heaviest cushioned wool sock I have seen in 30 years of working in construction.

Just enough Nylon for wicking and elastic to stay up well and not unravel at the top. I wear them year round at work or hiking.

Edited by ironman114