Caching and Camping Questions

staton23

I'd like to take my wife out for some simple desert camping on one of our weekend caching runs. Since I'm pretty new to the area, I was hoping for some suggestions. I live in the Al Ain area, and would prefer something close by. Desert camping is nice, but I need to be able to reach the spot with a 2X4 vehicle, though we don't mind walking out to a nice spot. Could you kind folks offer some suggestions? Also, does anyone know where I can get some firewood?

Thanks!

Rob (Staton23)

My suggestion would be to camp just over the border in Oman near to the caches "The Poort" and "Touch" and "9 Lives" amongst others. It is a beautiful area with plenty of camping areas, especially near "Touch". Driving with care a sedan will make it.

Good luck.

Edited by cincol

My suggestion would be to camp just over the border in Oman near to the caches "The Poort" and "Touch" and "9 Lives" amongst others. It is a beautiful area with plenty of camping areas, especially near "Touch". Driving with care a sedan will make it.

Good luck.

You need to read stanton's Poort cache log :blink:

"care" seems to be the operative word.

Yes - Poort and 9 lives area is very pretty - and please palce a few more EarthCaches while you are out there.

For a more deset experience - one can park near the tar or gatch road near two trees cache - some suitable places would be accessible with a short walk.

Firewood - good question - let us know too. Also check out the AD 4x4 club forum - lots of good suggestiosn there too.

You can also join and post queries at www.uaeoffroaders.com. I attended their New Year event and there was plenty of wood arranged by the marshals. You will get reply within hours. You are most welcome to join the club for desert experience as the trips run out of abu dhabi and very often trips in Al Ain area.

Leo

You can also join and post queries at www.uaeoffroaders.com. I attended their New Year event and there was plenty of wood arranged by the marshals. You will get reply within hours. You are most welcome to join the club for desert experience as the trips run out of abu dhabi and very often trips in Al Ain area.

Leo

Also the Hatta area north of Al Ain. A little over an hour drive but easily accessed via 4x2 and several caches in the area. Plus the Bedouin are extremely kind up there.

Carbon Hunter,

We took your advice and camped near the access road near Two Trees. We camped on a Thursday night after a short walk over the dunes. Great spot and totally secluded. Didn't hear anything but the wind.

We found a place for firewood as well. The souk behind Bawadi Mall in Al Ain had a few guys who sell bundles of wood for around 35dhs per bundle You can haggle them down of course if you want to buy in bulk. The wood was easy to light and burned for a good while.

- Staton23

Carbon Hunter,

We took your advice and camped near the access road near Two Trees. We camped on a Thursday night after a short walk over the dunes. Great spot and totally secluded. Didn't hear anything but the wind.

We found a place for firewood as well. The souk behind Bawadi Mall in Al Ain had a few guys who sell bundles of wood for around 35dhs per bundle You can haggle them down of course if you want to buy in bulk. The wood was easy to light and burned for a good while.

- Staton23

Glad you got the desert experience wirth a 2x4. More importantly - I hope you placed a new cache? :wub: