Garmin Oregon 400t Elevation Gain Question

intolerable

Is elevation gain and total ascent the same thing on the Oregon? That seemed to be the case with my Vista HCx, but on my Oregon, it's consistently drastically different.

An example is a recent hike where I made track logs with both the Vista and the Oregon. The Vista ended up with a elevation gain of 1541 ft, which is right around what I know we hiked. Also, throughout the hike, the Oregon's elevation profile 'total ascent' reflected what would be the correct number and at the end of the hike was pretty close to the Vista's 1541 ft.

But when I check the elevation gain for the track log on the Oregon, it's 2,276 ft elevation gain. We walked around town the other day and did around 600 ft according to the elevation profile, but when I get home and look at the track log, it's showing up as 2,559 ft???

Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Tracklog elevation gain will differ from the total ascent reported by the altimeter (although I'm not sure how the former is calculated).

FWIW, I've always found the total gain reported by my Oregon 400t to be off compared to my 60CSx, which usually gives extremely accurate results.

Yes, on the Oregon, total ascent and elevation gain appear to be two completely different numbers. It's frustrating, because elevation gain from a tracklog from the Vista makes sense whereas the Oregon is some incredible number that makes no sense whatsoever (elevation gain is usually over a 1000ft more than actual gain)

If I take the Oregon tracklogs and look at them in Sportracks, the climb +/- makes sense and are what i would assume elevation gain and loss would be, but they aren't.

It seems that Garmin has fixed the total ascent field since my last post to this thread. But the EveryTrail problem isn't unique; it's that its pulling elevation from tracklogs and not the total ascent record. Can you manually change the elevation record in EveryTrail? If so, clear your data before hitting the trail, then note the total ascent at the end of the trip. That number should be pretty accurate.

It seems that Garmin has fixed the total ascent field since my last post to this thread. But the EveryTrail problem isn't unique; it's that its pulling elevation from tracklogs and not the total ascent record. Can you manually change the elevation record in EveryTrail? If so, clear your data before hitting the trail, then note the total ascent at the end of the trip. That number should be pretty accurate.

Why are the elevations in the track logs on the Garmin Oregon wrong?