Premium Membership

Ovieduo

I was unable to download coordinates to my GPS and wondered if I have to have a PM to do that or if I'm just doing it wrong.

Here's the official Complete List of Membership Benefits which is mostly complete :(

You do not need a premium membership to download coordinates to your GPS receiver. If you post details of your equipment, procedure and problem, someone should be able to help you with it.

I was unable to download coordinates to my GPS and wondered if I have to have a PM to do that or if I'm just doing it wrong.

The "send to GPS" button is available to non-paying members as well. You can find lots of geocaches and even log the PM-only ones, if you know how. The major difference is that you get some convenient features if you become a PM.

It's nice to have, but not necessary. And: You get 30 days free PM with every Garmin you buy.

GermanSailor

will I get all the paperless info just using the "send to GPS" button? Just curious. I still plan on becoming a PM...

Not on a Garmin.

I logged on to my daughter's account and did the transfer. Under description it gave me "Receive more information such as cache descriptions and hints with a Premium Membership...". Hints say "hints available to premium members only". Logs are empty.

will I get all the paperless info just using the "send to GPS" button? Just curious. I still plan on becoming a PM...

Not on a Garmin.

I logged on to my daughter's account and did the transfer. Under description it gave me "Receive more information such as cache descriptions and hints with a Premium Membership...". Hints say "hints available to premium members only". Logs are empty.

I thought as much, thanks Chrysalides.

alright! I'm premium!

You realize what you just did, right? You signed up for something that would suck up whatever free time you have, and a good chunk that's not free to start off with. Soon you'll own as many GPSr as StarBrand, everywhere you go you'll wonder if a geocache is hidden there, and during the times when you're not geocaching, you're posting to the forums.

It's a terrible, terrible fate :blink:

so how do I create a .gpx file? Do I download a bunch of caches as a .loc file then use gsak (which is confusing as hell) to create the .gpx?

On the right hand side of your profile page under "premium features" you'll see the link to "build pocket queries". Most everything is self explanatory . You have the option to get gpx or loc files. I believe gpx is default. Select a day to get sent the PQ. If you bought an Oregon or Dakota I believe you can simply unzip the PQ and drag-n-drop the gpx files onto the unit showing up as a removable drive. Correct me if I'm wrong Garmin folks.

On the right hand side of your profile page under "premium features" you'll see the link to "build pocket queries". Most everything is self explanatory . You have the option to get gpx or loc files. I believe gpx is default. Select a day to get sent the PQ. If you bought an Oregon or Dakota I believe you can simply unzip the PQ and drag-n-drop the gpx files onto the unit showing up as a removable drive. Correct me if I'm wrong Garmin folks.

With an Oregon or Dakota that's all you have to do, drop the .gpx files in the /garmin/gpx directory on the unit. You can have up to 200 files in there. Investing in GSAK can still be very good idea though, it's handy to have a database of found/not found/placed/etc on your laptop/desktop and the macros really expand the functionality of GSAK. I bought a copy to use w/ my 60cx but it's been handy with the new Dakota too!

Field notes are a nice feature as well, but they're not unique to the Garmin series.

Edited by jopasm