My plan always go awry

scrapes

How do you seasoned cachers prepare for a day of hunting? I plan my route in my head and off I go. Should I start printing cache pages? Is that what you guys do. I always come home short of goals for one reason or another.

What else do you guys do, I'm amazed when someone lists 21 caches for the day type of thing.

we cache paperless, and planning only goes as far as looking at a map and picking a starting point that has a nice concentration of caches...we drive to that first one and go from there

don't stress yourself too much about goals and stuff like that, sure is nice to set them and achieve them, but first and foremost enjoy yourself, and if you achieve the goals you set for yourself than great, if not, there's always a next time :(

I never do a lot of planning.

I never really go on big number runs either.

My biggest day was just 20 caches but I did those in just over 3 hours and had 3 DNFs. I simply had a route (in this case - between Grand Island NE and Hastings NE) with all caches within 5 miles of the route. Filtered for no micros and difficulty and terrain at 3 or less.

I just moved from one cache to another hitting next closest cache on my unit and looking at the maps to see if it was easy enough to get there. Mostly rural terrain - dirt roads on and off the nearby highway. What put an end to my day of caching was a cold rain/sleet mix - not the fun or a lack of caches or time.

I think you need a relively cache rich area - a fully paperless unit with lots of targets loaded and some time. I even had a 6 year old and three year old in tow with me that day.

Smurf and I rarely do much planning. We have gone paperless so we get a PQ every week with 500 caches in the area. We just plug it into Memory Map, pick an area and go.

My suggestion to you, as it appears you haven't gone paperless, is to use the geocaching google map to see areas that appeal to you. Whether that's an area stuffed with caches or a circular walk. Plan which caches you want to do, print out the cache pages and go.

I would always recommend everyone to go paperless because carting round sheets upon sheets of paper gets annoying as well as being an environmental nightmare once you get to higher numbers and consider how much paper you used just just to go out and find all that tupperware.

How do you seasoned cachers prepare for a day of hunting? I plan my route in my head and off I go. Should I start printing cache pages? Is that what you guys do. I always come home short of goals for one reason or another.

What else do you guys do, I'm amazed when someone lists 21 caches for the day type of thing.

What we do varies. We used to plan a route and that worked out fairly well. Last time we went we chose a spot we wanted to cache in and then saw what was closest.

Whatever fits your style.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Well to be completely honest my OCD kicks in. I have a mount in my truck for my laptop,(job related) a car charger for same, tether to use my Blackberry as a modem, charger for same, and My Garmin preloaded with the PQ of my choice. These items coupled with the "supply/repair" pack, and off we go!!!!! :(:P

We can see additional info on cache pages, log finds/travellers, use easier to read maps/topos on the laptop. The screen on my garmin is quite small!!!

edit to add- Now if the "job" and the weather would cooperate we would have it made!!!

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I do just the opposite :P, planning everything.

Selecting a few caches -maximum 4/6- on some sq Km, everyone of them interesting (to me) for some reason. Maybe a nice hike, a sightseeing point, a special terrain/building, ... whatever.

I study the description, logs and pictures. Print the relevant info. Plan a route to get there and from one to another. If I don't have a map (yes, and old fashioned printed one) of the area, I study the paths and trials using Google Earth and the detailed on-line maps of our Geographic official site.

Sometimes I don't have time to get all of them. Very seldom I get a DNF (because I'm really stubborn!!). And most of them I came back a few days later! :(

I think my maximum on a day was 6 ... some 4/6h of car on rural roads. Man, I got really tired!

Wow ... I enjoy all of them

(Yes, sometimes I get a couple of urban micros ... but that's just another history).

I'm not a seasoned veteran, but I try to make use of limited time, and that usually require some planning.

First, paperless. Nothing beats having all the info on hand, because printing is slow and wasteful. And you probably will miss out a few caches you encounter.

Next, plan a route. For urban caches, I try to plan an efficient route to cover the caches I'm interested in. This include which side of the street the cache is on. I tried using Microsoft Street and Trips but haven't gotten the hang of it. If this is a hike in a park, I use GeoBuddy to see where the caches are relative to the trails, and pick a set of trails to hike to cover where I want to go. You need scanned, calibrated trail maps, fortunately someone already did the work for my area, so all I need to do is import in the GPX.

I still need to write down which caches I need to do in what order, but since I've never done more than 15 caches in a day, and usually less than 10, that's not a major hardship. For trails, if it is hard to remember, I'll print out a map and highlight the route. For urban, I rely on my Nuvi to route me from point to point.

If I have time, I'll read through the cache details before setting off. If not, I'll wait till I'm there before glancing at it on the Nuvi / Oregon. I have the caches stored as custom POI on the Nuvi.

At the end of the day, I upload the field notes from the Oregon and log them. Field notes also allow me to jot down a few words for each cache in case I need help remembering something unique to say.

If you intend to do a higher number run, allocate a certain amount of time per cache and be prepared to walk away if circumstances dictate (usually muggle presence) or if you cannot find it.

If I don't have the chance to prepare, I just see what's on the GPSr. Sometimes, when hiking, I just pull out a GPSr occasionally to see what's closest.

Anyway, seems like the common element in most replies so far is paperless.

For the most part, my caching focuses on quality adventures. A tiresome mantra I like to spew is that I'd much rather spend all day in search of one quality cache, (as measured by my highly biased aesthetics, of course), than spend the same amount of time dashing from lamp post to lamp post, cranking up my numbers. Because the caches I prefer hunting for are typically not mindless park & grabs, some planning is often required. Being an old, fat, crippled guy, I prefer to make these quests with friends, so my planning often involves convincing a group of otherwise sane people that wading nipple deep, for two miles, in an alligator infested swamp, for just a single smiley, is somehow a good idea. :P

Wanna go? :(

Well, I learned from one of the best , although I don't practice it much anymore when I cache by myself, but what I have learned is to spent time at least a day or two before, carefully studying the maps and making a list. If you have time, refine that list (some even go so far as to minimize left turns). Look for parking spots, where there are several caches in one park, try to figure out the best order to get them in, and so on. Now comes the most important part... once you are out caching, DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THAT LIST! Trust it. Don't take a look at your GPS and say "I may as well pick that one up over there first... there was a reason you planned it the way you did. If you deviate to pick up one cache that appears to be closer, there will probably be yet another closer to that, and so on, and before you know it, your plan will have, once again, gone awry.

As far as planning the route, I have used Microsoft Streets and Trips with varying degress of succes, but that's another topic. Generally seems to be best to just use your own eyes and brain.

My caching plan is pretty straigh forward. I decide where I want to cache and load a PQ for it in my Garmin Colorado. Then I go caching.

The whole process takes 10 minutes at the most.

When I first started caching I would spend 15 minutes on each cache just to load it to my Magellan. I would actually spend more time loading each cache than hunting the cache. That didn't make much sense.

For the most part, my caching focuses on quality adventures. A tiresome mantra I like to spew is that I'd much rather spend all day in search of one quality cache, (as measured by my highly biased aesthetics, of course), than spend the same amount of time dashing from lamp post to lamp post, cranking up my numbers. Because the caches I prefer hunting for are typically not mindless park & grabs, some planning is often required. Being an old, fat, crippled guy, I prefer to make these quests with friends, so my planning often involves convincing a group of otherwise sane people that wading nipple deep, for two miles, in an alligator infested swamp, for just a single smiley, is somehow a good idea. :P

Wanna go? :(

I'm with you on that! I just wish I had more full days without the kids or chores to hit the serious caches*.

*Serious cache, as defined by me, for use in this post only, is a cache that requires a few days of planning, and a full day to reach (at least 2h drive in each direction and at least 4h of hiking)

I think our team is somewhere in between sort of casual, and OCD! I have to confess, I do like to print out at least some of the cache pages,(the short version without logs) especially if the cache has a lot of description on the page about how and what to look for; my excuse is that I'm old, and old fashioned - so there!

I begin by looking at the google geocaching map for the area we want to go to, and I refine it to show about 15-20 caches. (Most of the time I delete puzzle caches, since we rarely do them.) I know from experience that we will rarely do more than 10 caches in a day, since we also like to stop for lunch and Starbucks breaks! I print out the map and highlight the caches we want to find; then I see what logical order we should seek them in. Since we cache in a congested suburban area, it's important that we know where to park, and I often choose the caches that have a parking coordinate included.

By looking at the map, we can try to do several caches within the same neighborhood, or in the same park. It can be a big waste of time to look for a cache that you haven't checked out beforehand. Some caches may not have been found in months, and haven't been archived, but a read of the past logs may tell you not to bother going to that one. I also try to be sure we have a few easy ones on our list for the day, so we won't get depressed by too many DNF's!

For day-tripping, I decide what kind of caches want to seek; then pick an appropriate area. Muddy with snow on the ground this weekend. Not a great weekend for hiking. Yup! Went mostly for cache and dashes. Okay. The FTF was a half mile each way in 4" of snow. The cache I hid was a mile each way in 6" of snow. Gupy has everything within 65 miles loaded. But the Paw Pilot runs a bit slowly if I load more than 800 caches. Yes. GPX and GSAK to load everything into Gupy. Then whichever area I decided on to load the caches into Paw Pilot, using CacheMate. So I loaded Paw Pilot with the nearest 500 caches, and then for Sunday, I loaded 150 caches around Little Washington. Did 14 caches last weekend.

Nicer weather, I'll plan the 6 caches in Minnisink WMA, or 8 caches in Watchung.

Next weekend, I'll be in the city, so I'll load the nearest 500 caches to Kearny NJ. But I'm hoping for the Upper West Side. Might go for 5 or 6. But, everything's loaded in case we change our plans.

If I plan a road trip, I plan out the route. Then I spend quite a while building a bookmark of the 500 caches that sound intresting along that route. Last trip was five days: NJ, DE, MD, DC, VA, NC, TN, KY, WVa, OH and PA. We did 90 of the 500 loaded caches on that trip. Mostly cache and dashes.

Planned a similar trip in 2008, to help my sister with the Maine DeLorme Challenge. Here, the importance was finding caches on the Maine DeLorme pages my sister needed. A few longish hikes. Some bad dirt roads. A ferry ride. Whatever it took to color in those pages. (Plus a side trip to New Brunswick to color in Canada!) My brother is a numbers ho, and would just keep finding whatever was nearby. Took out the whip, hid his GPS, told him he couldn't go to Quoddy Head on this trip. We found 128 caches on that trip. Colored in all the DeLorme pages we wanted. Had a lot of fun. But had to stick to the schedule! It did take my brother and sister another trip, including 100 miles on a dirt road to finish the Maine DeLorme Challege.

This year's trip is to South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Same amount of planning will be necessary.

Premium membership, GPS, GSAK and Cachemate are necessary for this kind of planning.

I haven't cached in a week. Waiting for my new gps to show up, and I've been way busy with work and hell, I got a mild case of shingles. It's no fun to cache, or do anything really, when everytime you move it hurts.

Are you sure you aren't going through some sort of metamorphysis? Maybe you should find a coccoon somewhere and take a nap. You might wake up with wings! Could make for some fun caching.

When we do a cache run we'll download a PQ of a area that we haven't visited in a while, load it into

GSAK kick out any caches that havent been found in over 2 months, toss out any that have more the

3 DNFs, and maybe any by certain cachers.

We then load what is left into streets and trips and decide where we want to start and FOLLOW THAT ROUTE. We'll have a laptop with us usually 3 handhelds plus the Nuvi 255w, yeah I know overkill :blink:

Normally we'll just load Riverside-Corona-Lake Elsinore Murrieta and Temecula weekly and just load them

into the Oregon and the Triton and the Nuvi. The Nuvi is set to notify us when we get within 1/4 mile of any caches, and if we're in the mood and not in a hurry we'll find a few through the week

I'm not a premium member, so the pq thing doesn't really apply for me. What i do is use the google map feature to find all the caches in the area I'm going, then print the sheets so I have the notes available. One cache a couple days ago I didn't have the sheet for, and I didn't find it that night because I was looking in an area a couple feet away that fit the clue in the name. Because of the location I was expecting a micro in a rock pile. Turns out it was actually a rather large fake rock a few feet away. Had I had my sheet I'd have got it the first time around. Long story short, google maps, then print everything in a couple mile area.

All I'll add is that I put a 500 query PQ onto my GPS for the general area. I use an iPhone with the geocaching application. It provides info on the caches I'm seeking. Sometimes, I'll follow a route that I've planned. Other times I'll find whatever is nearby.

Now, here is my original contribution to the discussion:

When I'm going to whatever is nearby, I look at the map, either on my GPS or iPhone and see what is nearby and also near other caches. Note that this may not be the closes cache or even the second closest. However, once I've found the one I'm going to first, there will be others not too far away.

In my early days of caching. I found myself going back and forth along the same road because the nearest was the opposite direction from the second nearest, and that when I got the nearest and then the second nearest, the third one was in the same direction as the first, so, back in the original direction again. Now I look and say: "That may be the nearest, but its in the wrong direction ... I'll pass on it."

When we do a cache run we'll download a PQ of a area that we haven't visited in a while, load it into

GSAK kick out any caches that havent been found in over 2 months, toss out any that have more the

We then load what is left into streets and trips and decide where we want to start and FOLLOW THAT ROUTE. We'll have a laptop with us usually 3 handhelds plus the Nuvi 255w, yeah I know overkill :blink:

Normally we'll just load Riverside-Corona-Lake Elsinore Murrieta and Temecula weekly and just load them

into the Oregon and the Triton and the Nuvi. The Nuvi is set to notify us when we get within 1/4 mile of any caches, and if we're in the mood and not in a hurry we'll find a few through the week

Have you figured out a good way to print out the list of stops from Streets & Trips when there is more than one page full? I sure wish that they had an export to text function or something like that.

The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men

Gang aft agley

I am not a high numbers cacher, at all. What has helped a lot lately is going paperless. Last fall I carried my 60cx and a laptop on roadtrips, that way I could load up nearby caches from GSAK and have the hints handy. I recently upgraded to a GPS that's capable of paperless geocaching and it's made a huge difference. If I have my GPS with me I have all the information I need. No need to worry about the laptop or reams of paper.

You don't have to go out and buy a new GPS though. For a while I emailed descriptions to myself (my cell phone can check my email account). I've also tried geocaching w/ my phone. Both worked but were cumbersome. Might work fine for you though! There are also some macros that allow you to load some of the cache description as a POI on non-paperless GPS units. Lots of options.

I am still very much a newbie. But I found myself running around in circles. So to counter that

unstead of loading a bunch of waypoints in my GPS. I only load about five or six, ones that I know I should be able to do. Take today for instance, I planned to look for five or six caches on my way home from work. All the caches are right after each other, following the same route that I would normaly take home from work if I wasn't caching. That way I am not running all over town chasing my tail. My GPS can't go paperless

and I am likeing that more and more. In the begaining I was dissapointed but now I think its more of a blessing than anything.

*Note* I think printing out the notes are cheating. I mean come on we are already using a friggen GPS. I just remeber the hint for each cache. It makes it alot more fun that way. I am in this for the hunt, not to rack up my number of found caches.

Edited by Shrekito

How do you seasoned cachers prepare for a day of hunting? I plan my route in my head and off I go. Should I start printing cache pages?

I rarely print pages anymore. Got a "paperless" GPS, and resuscitated my Palm PDA to view descriptions, even taking an occasional photo of a satellite map (or clue photos) right off the computer screen, and bringing those files along. I also have car GPS mapping, just in case.

But the best way to do an efficient route, is to bring a teammate along who’s good at routing on-the-fly. Works like a charm.

Edited by kunarion
*Note* I think printing out the notes are cheating. I mean come on we are already using a friggen GPS. I just remeber the hint for each cache. It makes it alot more fun that way. I am in this for the hunt, not to rack up my number of found caches.

Meh. I cache blindfolded, Kenny G playing full volume through my earbuds, one hand tied behind my back and wearing two left shoes 3 sizes too small, by calculating my coordinates through observation of the satellites on a piece of cardboard and a pen without any ink.

After my first half dozen or so I decided to stop wasting paper and carrying round an A4 file.

I studied the caches on the Google maps, decided which I was going for next, then clicked on them in the order I planned to find them, downloaded the co-ords to the GPS and made notes in a little notebook of anything that might help with the find - the hint, size & possibly description of cache (look for photos of it!) and any comments in the logs that seemed to be clues.

Then I became a premium member and can download all the info onto the GPS - but I still check Google maps and decide which caches to go for and in what order, also if time have a quick read through the cache pages to get a "feel" for them.

Must confess though I still print off complicated puzzles and multis that need notes and things "in the field".

We then load what is left into streets and trips and decide where we want to start and FOLLOW THAT ROUTE. We'll have a laptop with us usually 3 handhelds plus the Nuvi 255w, yeah I know overkill <_<

into the Oregon and the Triton and the Nuvi. Th for the route on S&Te Nuvi is set to notify us when we get within 1/4 mile of any caches, and if we're in the mood and not in a hurry we'll find a few through the week

Have you figured out a good way to print out the list of stops from Streets & Trips when there is more than one page full? I sure wish that they had an export to text function or something like that.

I have the S&T gps dongle and basically follow the directions for the route on S&T, I haven't

used printouts in years.

The Oreogon 300 and the Explorist 500 both the allow me to mark caches as found, then I retrieve

the found caches when we get home. When we did use printouts I'd use the sheet from GSAK and it was the other halfs job to mark off the caches as we found them

I have the S&T gps dongle and basically follow the directions for the route on S&T, I haven't

used printouts in years.

The Oreogon 300 and the Explorist 500 both the allow me to mark caches as found, then I retrieve

the found caches when we get home. When we did use printouts I'd use the sheet from GSAK and it was the other halfs job to mark off the caches as we found them

Be forewarned, the Magellan Explorist only holds 10 found caches and then it drops them in the order you found them.

I know there are caches I've found but don't remember because when I was using the 500 I would do more than 10 and not remember ones it dropped.

Meh. I cache blindfolded, Kenny G playing full volume through my earbuds, one hand tied behind my back and wearing two left shoes 3 sizes too small, by calculating my coordinates through observation of the satellites on a piece of cardboard and a pen without any ink.

Sissy. I get into full scuba gear (flippers too) and empty the tank 3/4 of the way then blacking out the mask and coating the inside with pepper spray. I then procede to the nearest fire ant hill with a hornets nest strapped on my back, and I start caching from there. That's what real men do.

The short answer is it depends.

The long answer is it depends on what the target is for the day's caching. This past Sunday I did a cluster of 20 in a state Gamelands area that has no trails aside from a few overgrown old logging and homestead roads. So we looked at the cluster before setting out, decided to ignore the five on the southernmost spur of land, and headed into the woods. We broke the grouping up into two loops and mostly did them counter clockwise, but often just did next closest as it didn't create much backtracking.

On days when we are planning to make numbers runs out of town and grab 50-100 we'll let Streets and Trips make the route once the target caches are hand selected. On those days we're pretty strict with route discipline. We're all running paperless, have for years. Some of my crew are using Oregons; I'm still using a 60CSx and keep an inexpensive netbook computer in the car when out on the trails. I've got GSAK tweaked to replace the GC with the type and size of the cache, give me the status of the four newest logs, the ratings, and the first 10-12 characters of the hint all on my GPS screen. That is usually enough.

And other days I just meander around town looking for clusters of unfound caches on my screen to minimize the driving time and maximize the time on the ground.

Edited by wimseyguy

For the most part, my caching focuses on quality adventures. A tiresome mantra I like to spew is that I'd much rather spend all day in search of one quality cache, (as measured by my highly biased aesthetics, of course), than spend the same amount of time dashing from lamp post to lamp post, cranking up my numbers. Because the caches I prefer hunting for are typically not mindless park & grabs, some planning is often required. Being an old, fat, crippled guy, I prefer to make these quests with friends, so my planning often involves convincing a group of otherwise sane people that wading nipple deep, for two miles, in an alligator infested swamp, for just a single smiley, is somehow a good idea. ;)

Wanna go? <_<

i like the way you cache - and your description — priceless.

rsg

For the most part, my caching focuses on quality adventures. A tiresome mantra I like to spew is that I'd much rather spend all day in search of one quality cache, (as measured by my highly biased aesthetics, of course), than spend the same amount of time dashing from lamp post to lamp post, cranking up my numbers. Because the caches I prefer hunting for are typically not mindless park & grabs, some planning is often required. Being an old, fat, crippled guy, I prefer to make these quests with friends, so my planning often involves convincing a group of otherwise sane people that wading nipple deep, for two miles, in an alligator infested swamp, for just a single smiley, is somehow a good idea. ;)

Wanna go? <_<

Heck ya, when are you headed to California?

I'm not a premium member, and I rarely have time to go on more than a 2 hour caching trip, usually it's more like 'less than an hour' or 'on the way home from the library with the kids'.

So here's how I do it:

1. divide up the town into sections (ie. 'south of town', 'around church' etc)

2. input different sections some time before you know you're going to be in the area. save the caches in the appropriate section by their cache name.

3. use an icon to indicate cache size. most of the time this is the most important clue you need

3b. put any other appropriate notes in either the cache name or in a little notebook.

I used to write the coordinates for each cache in the notebook as well, but I've gotten better at wrestling my Mio Digiwalker into submission recently and mostly just use the map and my eyes.

I found that, unless you're doing tough caches, you probably don't need any obscured clues, to read the logs, etc in the field--you just need to know what size you're looking for (and if they tell you it's an film can or whatever, that makes it even easier). Between size and cache name, you'll be good to go.

As far as making a plan, my GPSr is pretty good about giving me an overview of what's around and what's next. And because right now it's all in-town caches, I can always drive to somewhere pretty close.

we'll see once it warms up...

used printouts in years.

Be forewarned, the Magellan Explorist only holds 10 found caches and then it drops them in the order you found them.

I know there are caches I've found but don't remember because when I was using the 500 I would do more than 10 and not remember ones it dropped.

Ah but the Oregon hold many found caches <_< I may be wrong but I believe my exp holds more then 10 found caches, what firmware are you running

Ah but the Oregon hold many found caches <_< I may be wrong but I believe my exp holds more then 10 found caches, what firmware are you running

Don't know the firmware. It's been replaced with my Colorado.

Since my last post to this thread I checked my Explorist 500s and there are 13 found caches on one and I'm not sure how many are on the other, but it has well over 10 on it, I've upgraded firmware since 07/05 one of my 500s has the Euro ver. the other one (yes I have 2) has the North American 5.20 both will hold more then 10 found caches ;)

Don't know the firmware. It's been replaced with my Colorado.

Since my last post to this thread I checked my Explorist 500s and there are 13 found caches on one and I'm not sure how many are on the other, but it has well over 10 on it, I've upgraded firmware since 07/05 one of my 500s has the Euro ver. the other one (yes I have 2) has the North American 5.20 both will hold more then 10 found caches ;)

Cool. Mine dropped them after 10. This was one of the biggest reasons for getting rid of it.

We have to do a little planning when I go out with my caching buddy because she has a disability that's not always easy to match up to the terrain ratings. A level 1 could be too much for her if the walk is too long, but there are a lot of 1.5s that are completely within her ability. We look at the terrain and satellite views and pick 3 or 4 caches that look like will be are a short walk from parking, but not mindless park-and-grabs. We usually get through three caches and then head in for a restorative cup of tea.

When I'm caching on my own, I look for 3 or 4 caches that will give me a good walk in the woods.

Neither of us are fixated on numbers runs, and we'll drive right past a cache if it doesn't appeal to us.

Plans? I don't make no steenkin' plans!

I hosted a weekend-long event in Gulf Shores AL a while back and met cachers from all over the country.

One couple was a woman and her sister who arrived with a big box of three-ring binders.

She printed out the listing for every cache they would hunt, and put them in the binders.

Throughout her caching day she would write notes on each cache printout.

They'd found hundreds of caches, every one thoroughly documented and kept forever in this mounting collection of binders.

Me? I load 500 or 1000 cache listings into my GPS and/or Blackberry and go caching. No idea where I will go or what or how many I will find.

We're all different. For me no worries is just right. :laughing:

Plans? I don't make no steenkin' plans!

I hosted a weekend-long event in Gulf Shores AL a while back and met cachers from all over the country.

One couple was a woman and her sister who arrived with a big box of three-ring binders.

She printed out the listing for every cache they would hunt, and put them in the binders.

Throughout her caching day she would write notes on each cache printout.

They'd found hundreds of caches, every one thoroughly documented and kept forever in this mounting collection of binders.

Me? I load 500 or 1000 cache listings into my GPS and/or Blackberry and go caching. No idea where I will go or what or how many I will find.

We're all different. For me no worries is just right. :laughing:

You are just being efficient.