Anyone want to put this into GEOCACHING FORM

Packanack

This story caught my interest, this morning, and I thought that perhaps someone might want to cache this as it were. I had a little visited cache near the high point of Bergen County for some time. Very few visitors. There are a number of High Point caches in Passaic, but a series of this type would entail far more hikes and probably would involve more placements.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/02/n...ores_lesse.html

Yay--More Obsessive Temptations. Who is in ? :(

Edited by Packanack

AACK!

"We call it peakbagging because we have a sense of humor," said Jeff Bennett.

I would suggest that they have quite a ways to go if they want to be taken seriously.

I don't see Columbus Mountain at 1492'. And, "Dunker Dolphin" is over 1200'!

The Hipointers visited all five high points on Bearfort Mountain. (Does that mean that I win with "How High the Moon" over "Passaic County High Point" and "Another Passaic County High Point"?) :blink:

I've got two on Dunker Mountain (as does klizich), but neither is at the high point. "Beside the Point" at Guerin is still active. So, you would have trouble making a multi.

At least they're having fun, which is what it's all about! :D

I shall have to check out the list more thoroughly to see how many on the list I have visited.

At least they're having fun, which is what it's all about!

Yes, isn't that what we need more of in these days.

A rather UN GRUMPY observation if there ever was one, I do say. Amazing turn of mood within a single post, very defined and flowing. From the opening AACK, to the I shall check it out, one can almost see the transformation. :blink:

The 4 Bergen County highpoints on the list:

Microwave on High for 10 Minutes

Warm Furry Kittens

What a Drag

Ilgenstiens Rock ON A HIKE

others:

How High the Moon?

Bearfort Fire Tower

Another Passaic County Highpoint

It's all Downhill from here

A Day at the Beech

Buck Mountain Overlook

Midnight Vultures

...it's hard to find a peak on the list that doesn't (or didn't) already have a cache.

Okay. I will now admit to having been to 18 (that I know of) (and probably five or six more). (And close to several others.)

I will even admit to having caches at, or very near, four of the listed high points! Ursa Major, for instance, is very close to the top of Buck Mountain.

But, however, Peak Baggers have standards. Any high point that meets the requirements should be listed.

The standard is usually x number of feet climb between two points. (Cannot remember what that standard is, however. 200 ft???) They are including the standard 'on public property', which I would find acceptable.

They are, however, not listing many, many, peaks that would meet those standards. Why not Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotteburg? Or Man Eater: Higher Ground II which is near the 1202 point.

They seem to be heavy on benchmarks. (Rude 26. Guerin. Pohatcong. Mud.) But neglected Green Pond No. 2? (They have also not logged any of the benchmarks at NGS...) I'm the only one to have logged Rude 26 on Kanouse Mountain since 1993!

To be considered seriously as Peak Baggers, certain standards need to be set and met. There, they have failed badly. Go out and have fun! But don't pretend to be peak baggers. Hey! I just noticed that Tom Tom Lookout is near a 1040' elevation! Why isn't that included?!?

Well, Harry--perhaps it is because they are not familiar with those locations, which to their credit they ask people to let them know which others should be included. Perhaps you could enlighten. I was surprised to see Sweet Charlottesburg not included, but that would seem to be just an oversight or unfamiliarity. Checking the following list:

http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=21430

shows that Osio Overlook is also on that "more official " list, but also shows some higher with unchecked prominence. Now as to Peak Baggers having standards--is that akin to Geocachers having standards ? HAHAHAHAH Good one Harry, now off to Walmart--for a smiley---snort, chortle. <_< Then to work my peak baggin list for Iowa.

One thing that should be of some use to Geocachers is the Acme Mapping Feature, very nice.

Got to the peak, hit ACME Mapping link to nearby Geocaches and you are golden. ;)

Edited by Packanack

The 4 Bergen County highpoints on the list:

Microwave on High for 10 Minutes

Warm Furry Kittens

What a Drag

Ilgenstiens Rock ON A HIKE

others:

How High the Moon?

Bearfort Fire Tower

Another Passaic County Highpoint

It's all Downhill from here

A Day at the Beech

Buck Mountain Overlook

Midnight Vultures

...it's hard to find a peak on the list that doesn't (or didn't) already have a cache.

Also

Return to Rocky Mountain

Windbeam's Windfall (and several others)