Missing Trackables: My project to clean up the inventory of the caches in my area

joespaz

Below is the note I have been sending to both cache owners and trackable owners for items that are missing from caches in my area:

Hi fellow geocacher,

Cache: GCXXXX (visit log)

Trackable: TBXXXX (visit log)

I am contacting you about the TravelBug/Geocoin above that has gone missing from the cache above. As the owner of either the trackable or the cache you can mark the item as missing. By marking the trackable as missing it will remove it from the cache inventory. If the trackable turns up at a later date the person who finds it can still register it with no problems. The Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter recently included a link to these instructions on how to mark a trackable missing: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=152

I am starting a project to see if I can help get the inventory of all the caches in the area corrected. I am sending this note to ask you for your help in this effort. If you have questions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

JoeSpaz

p.s. I am sorry if you got a similar note already, as of 2/12/10 I am keeping track of all the notes I send out so it shouldn't happen again.

I have been trying to keep good records and have been doing this in a systematic order so as not to send the same notice twice. I am looking for constructive feedback from the members of the Geocaching forums.

How can I improve the wording?

Does this note sound offensive?

Is this the same as SPAM?

What should I do after sending the note, if no action is taken?

Thank you for your help.

Edited by joespaz

The wording sounds fine to me and is not offensive.

I wouldn't consider it spam, but you should be prepared for some negative feedback. No matter how you approach it, if you are sending this out to a significant number of cache or bug owners, there will be some who will view it as you butting in.

I'm not sure what motivated you to do this, but I would not be offended at all if you sent this to me for one of my caches.

I think we recently heard the point of view from the other side of something similar (although not your notes, it doesn't look like).

Wouldn't bother me. I try to keep an eye out but don't check religiously on trackables in (or not in) my caches. Some people couldn't care less and I won't ask them to but some don't know how it works & might appreciate it.

Good luck.

Do you want an honest opinion or do you want to hear something nice? If you want the truth, keep reading.

I think it sounds official. In fact a little too official.

Since you don't have any appointed authority (that I know of) then you shouldn't be taking on a mission in this manner.

I don't think it's "wrong" per se but if I got an Email like that, I would have one of two reactions

1) Oh, a Groundspeak staff member is sending me a message

2) Who does this person think they are?

Do you want an honest opinion or do you want to hear something nice? If you want the truth, keep reading.

Since you don't have any appointed authority (that I know of) then you shouldn't be taking on a mission in this manner.

I don't think it's "wrong" per se but if I got an Email like that, I would have one of two reactions

You hit it on the button! I don't want to sound TOO official, lest people think I am trying to impersonate a moderator. I also don't want people to think I am telling them what to do. I am only contacting the CO's and TB owners as a courtesy. I figure what ever they want to do about it is fine with me.

Any suggestions on how this note can be worded better would be appreciated.

In the case where a Player is specifically seeking Caches with trackables in them, and comes to know that there are some missing from a Cache, then I don't thing it's too harmful.

I agree with the "Mission" thing though, and that's whay I had suggested that he rename it as a Project.

Any ideas on how to keep on message without sounding too official?? Do you think that it's not something that should be worked on, of is it just a matter of the method. It really sucke to have 50 Caches listed nearby that have all the Trackables missing, and no one seems to be working on fixing the inventories. What other way is there to do it, besides to ask people to do their part?

You hit it on the button! I don't want to sound TOO official, lest people think I am trying to impersonate a moderator. I also don't want people to think I am telling them what to do. I am only contacting the CO's and TB owners as a courtesy. I figure what ever they want to do about it is fine with me.

Less official....

Hi,

I am Geospaz and I was looking for travel bugs to move along today and noticed that your TB TBXXXX has gone missing.

Just to let you know, there is an easy way to mark your trackable as missing. Just go to http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=152 and follow the instructions.

I'm trying to let people know how to mark trackables as missing so that cachers won't be disappointed when they go to find trackables and there aren't any. If you got this email before, I'm sorry. I wasn't keeping track of the emails I sent but now I am.

Thanks

Geospaz

Much less official. (I was even going to suggest a misspelled word)

Less official....

Hi,

I am Geospaz and I was looking for travel bugs to move along today and noticed that your TB TBXXXX has gone missing.

Just to let you know, there is an easy way to mark your trackable as missing. Just go to http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=152 and follow the instructions.

I'm trying to let people know how to mark trackables as missing so that cachers won't be disappointed when they go to find trackables and there aren't any. If you got this email before, I'm sorry. I wasn't keeping track of the emails I sent but now I am.

Thanks

Geospaz

Hi,

I am JoeSpaz and I was looking for Travel Bugs and Geocoins to move along today. It seemed that the trackable(s) listed below were missing from the cache that they are listed in.

TBXXXX (visit link)

GCYYYY (visit link)

Just to let you know, if you wish there is an easy way to mark the trackable as missing. Just go to http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=152 and follow the instructions.

Thanks

Joespaz

This format would allow me to continue easily pasting in the info that they need. Does this still sound okay?

Edited by joespaz

Less official....

Hi,

Thanks

Geospaz

Hi,

I am JoeSpaz and I was looking for Travel Bugs and Geocoins to move along today. It seemed that the trackable(s) listed below were missing from the cache that they are listed in.

TBXXXX (visit link)

GCYYYY (visit link)

Just to let you know, if you wish there is an easy way to mark the trackable as missing. Just go to http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=152 and follow the instructions.

Thanks

Joespaz

This format would allow me to continue easily pasting in the info that they need. Does this still sound okay?

Your link doesn't work.

Less official....

Hi,

Thanks

Geospaz

Hi,

TBXXXX (visit link)

GCYYYY (visit link)

Thanks

Joespaz

Your link doesn't work.

I'll make sure to include working links in any actual emails I send.

So I am done sending emails until my event is over next week. So far I have checked the 2,000 caches nearest my house for missing Trackables. I have sent over 150 notices out to the CO's and the TB owners. I have been getting about a 50% response rate. That seems awesome to me.

What should I do if people take no action? Is there a way Geocaching can remove missing items? Should I send them a list every two weeks of Trackables that never get removed by the CO or TB owner?

I am contacting you about the TravelBug/Geocoin above that has gone missing from the cache above.

The note is fine, my questions are: How much investigation/verification occurred? Did you check these caches yourself or are you relying on missing reports from other cachers? How much time do you allow before declaring a bug as missing?

Edited by BlueDeuce

Here is a previous reply I posted on a similar topic in the TB forum.

There is a process I recommend people follow when identifying bugs that should to be marked as missing.

You need to to allow at least three months to pass once someone reports the bug is not in the cache. I also prefer at least two verifications from cachers, three is even better. It may be that one cacher simply missed seeing it at the bottom of the container.

If there has been adequate verification and enough time has passed, post a note on the bug notifying the bug owner of the situation. Also provide them instructions on how to mark it as missing.

This is something I post:

Unfortunately this Travel Bug has been verified as not being in the cache.

You can remove it from being listed in the cache and place it into an unknown location. This will keep people from making a trip to the cache for a Bug that isn't there.

On the Bug page, under Trackable Item Options is the option "Mark item Missing". Click Go.

You can always retrieve it back out at a later time if it is found or re-released. Thank you.

-----

Give the bug owner three/four weeks to respond. If nothing happens then contact the cache owner, again giving them instructions on how to move it out.

If there is also no response after three/four weeks you can contact your local reviewer or the TB Forum mod Eartha to mark it missing for you.

Always attempt to work with the bug and cache owner before requesting assistance from Groundspeak.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I don't see a problem with your intentions, but be prepared to get flak from cache owners that are almost militaristic in their dislike for trackable owners (much less non-owners) contacting them about bugs/coins not in their caches.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I think sending Eartha a quick note with the trackables that are missing would actually get something done (moved to unknown) and tick off less people.

But who knows? Clearly the problem in some cases is that the COs and the bug/coin owners don't know that they can remove travelers from caches. Maybe you might spread some education.

I've got a list of about seven that I didn't find this weekend, some that have been noted on the cache page and the bug/coin page months ago.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I think sending Eartha a quick note with the trackables that are missing would actually get something done (moved to unknown) and tick off less people.

I would recommend at least contacting the bug owner first. Most appreciate the opportunity to address the bug themselves rather than finding out it's formally missing by receiving notification that it's been kicked out of the game by a Groundspeak rep.

Not knowing what to do with the missing bug, and a simply forgetting to check on it's status, are probably the biggest reasons owners don't move their bugs out sooner. (Edit: third would be because people haven't mentioned in their logs that they didn't find the bug in the cache)

If I'm taking the time to notify anyone I'll start with the bug owner. It might save me, the OP, and Eartha more time on the next missing bug if the owner is involved on the first one.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Joespaz I have recently done the same thing. I had just a handful of "dissappointing cache inventories" in my area, and sent very positive emails to the owners (both cache and traveller). No response from any of them.

Sent an email to Eartha, after a short time, and she cleared them. I dont really care if someone thinks I am the cache police or not, it was sad to read log after log mentioning the "bug/coin was missing :( " and never seeing anything done about it. When we are caching we pick up litter that is not "ours" so that is my thought process.

I have been amazed at the lack of response to emails on a variety of subjects. Maybe they are getting filtered and not getting to the intended recipient.

After Eartha marked the missing I did get a thank you email from one coin owner.

I would add- for all the people who get their knickers in a twist over someone doing this, it clears the inventory of the cache, without removing the coin/bug from the system. Should it turn up two years later it is simply a matter of correcting logs to restore its travel history.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I would recommend at least contacting the bug owner first. Most appreciate the opportunity to address the bug themselves rather than finding out it's formally missing by receiving notification that it's been kicked out of the game by a Groundspeak rep.

Not knowing what to do with the missing bug, and a simply forgetting to check on it's status, are probably the biggest reasons owners don't move their bugs out sooner. (Edit: third would be because people haven't mentioned in their logs that they didn't find the bug in the cache)

If I'm taking the time to notify anyone I'll start with the bug owner. It might save me, the OP, and Eartha more time on the next missing bug if the owner is involved on the first one.

You make a good point. I tend to look at the last date the owner was online and how many notes have been posted to the bug/coin too. It would be better if the owners took care of their own bugs.

You know what would be nice (but at the same time possibly even more confusing for some)? A "Didn't Find It" log for trackables. Surely this has come up in the past. If there was a "Didn't Find It" log type that attached a brief paragraph telling the owner how to mark the bug as missing that would really be sweet.

...and of course some improved instructions for trackables on the website itself a flashing neon sign and a revised FAQ for trackables. Maybe even a "I understand how trackables work" check-off when you activate a bug/coin; similar to the guidelines that pop up when you list a cache.

Edited by Castle Mischief

So I am done sending emails until my event is over next week. So far I have checked the 2,000 caches nearest my house for missing Trackables. I have sent over 150 notices out to the CO's and the TB owners. I have been getting about a 50% response rate. That seems awesome to me.

What should I do if people take no action? Is there a way Geocaching can remove missing items? Should I send them a list every two weeks of Trackables that never get removed by the CO or TB owner?

So this project is all in preparation of an cache event? anyway it does not sound like a great plan. There are so many extenuating circumstances to missing trackables and the approach you propose appears to addresses only one of those. In this world there are some responsible cachers and some not so responsible. the responsible ones keep track and do their own house cleaning without needing the cache police on the other hand those that don't, an email reminder is probably not going to make any difference.

A simple example that I am sure many others have done the same, one of my trackables quickly went missing after its release. I decided to wait a few weeks and see if it made one of those magical reappearances. it did not. I decided to do a re-release of the back up with the same tracking number. during this time period I would not appreciate anyone interfering with my approach to dealing with this.

I decided to wait a few weeks and see if it made one of those magical reappearances. it did not. I decided to do a re-release of the back up with the same tracking number. during this time period I would not appreciate anyone interfering with my approach to dealing with this.

If the bug was confirmed as missing from the cache, after several weeks the cache owner may decide to mark the bug as missing so people aren't making a visit expecting to find the bug. If I saw reports it was missing you can rest assured you wouldn't be hearing from me for at least three months after it was reported. :(

So this project is all in preparation of an cache event? anyway it does not sound like a great plan. There are so many extenuating circumstances to missing trackables and the approach you propose appears to addresses only one of those. In this world there are some responsible cachers and some not so responsible. the responsible ones keep track and do their own house cleaning without needing the cache police on the other hand those that don't, an email reminder is probably not going to make any difference.

A simple example that I am sure many others have done the same, one of my trackables quickly went missing after its release. I decided to wait a few weeks and see if it made one of those magical reappearances. it did not. I decided to do a re-release of the back up with the same tracking number. during this time period I would not appreciate anyone interfering with my approach to dealing with this.

This project has NOTHING to do with my upcoming event. However, I have been spending about and hour a day on this project and my event is less then a week away...so I need to spend more time preparing for that instead of working on this project.

I have had a great success rate so far! I have notified CO's and TB owners of about 150 missing items, I have noticed that about 50% of them have been removed from the cache inventory already. On a 10 to 1 ratio I have gotten feedback that was positive and appreciative. Only one person has implied that I am bothering them, and they went so far as to start their own forum thread twisting the facts.

Many bugs in our area have been listed in caches for over two years, even thought they are missing. Are you seriously going to tell me that the TB owners and CO's are handling things right when this happens?

For the record, I am going to continue this project. I just want some advice on how to sound less official and bossy. How people respond is up to them. I won't hold any grudges if they choose to ignore my note. I am just taking the steps that are available to me to play the game my way.

I won't hold any grudges if they choose to ignore my note.

I've had two people flat out refuse to remove bugs from caches even though in both situations their bugs have been reported as missing for well over two years. I just continue my process and eventually submit the bugs to Groundspeak.

My favorite is when people have been holding on to bugs for a few months and then nonchalantly drop them into a virtual cache listing.

The oldest I found was one that had been sitting there for over 5 years, maybe even 6 now that I think about it.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Should I send them a list every two weeks of Trackables that never get removed by the CO or TB owner?

For tracking first I post a note on the bug for the bug owner. If I have to contact the cache owner I'll note that on the bug as well. If and when I go to Groundspeak I'll just post a Note stating 'reported as missing'. Then

I'll send my list directly to Eartha and leave it at that. I don't place any time-line requirements/expectations since she volunteering her own time. I might check the listings after a couple three months and the bugs have always been removed.

If I have a large order like the 100 and some I did over in Atlanta I'll ask her if she wants me to send them to the local reviewer.

Just fixing the quotes so I can read this better.

This project has NOTHING to do with my upcoming event. However, I have been spending about and hour a day on this project and my event is less then a week away...so I need to spend more time preparing for that instead of working on this project.

I have had a great success rate so far! I have notified CO's and TB owners of about 150 missing items, I have noticed that about 50% of them have been removed from the cache inventory already. On a 10 to 1 ratio I have gotten feedback that was positive and appreciative. Only one person has implied that I am bothering them, and they went so far as to start their own forum thread twisting the facts.

Many bugs in our area have been listed in caches for over two years, even thought they are missing. Are you seriously going to tell me that the TB owners and CO's are handling things right when this happens?

For the record, I am going to continue this project. I just want some advice on how to sound less official and bossy. How people respond is up to them. I won't hold any grudges if they choose to ignore my note. I am just taking the steps that are available to me to play the game my way.

I dont really care if someone thinks I am the cache police or not, it was sad to read log after log mentioning the "bug/coin was missing " and never seeing anything done about it.

I see this alot and very few of the people who note in their logs about the missing bug/coin will visit the trackables page to write a note there as well. That's as far as I take it now. For awhile I was assembling a list of trackables that had shown in caches for long periods of time and was going to pass that info on to the local reviewer or Eartha but now I don't care quite enough to put in the effort. The cache/bug owners who let those bugs show in the cache for months/years care less than I do, anyway.

I'll do my part as a cache owner to mark bugs missing from my caches or mark my own bugs missing if they're verified as gone. Then I'll let good folks such as yourselves take up the bridle if you wish and hope it hits a critical mass because I'm far more interested in accurate inventories of caches I've yet to visit rather than ones I already have. So, I do hope this project takes off and helps out.

How can I improve the wording?

I would delete the sentence about it being a project of yours. I think it suggests that you are doing this for your own benefit and may not be kosher with gc.cm when really you are doing it for the benefit of everyone and you have the support of gc.com.

Does this note sound offensive?

no

Is this the same as SPAM?

no

nothing I can think of. You can't force people to maintain their stuff. Maybe you could ask a reviewer to help, but I'm sure they've got plenty of other stuff on their plate.

I'll do my part as a cache owner to mark bugs missing from my caches or mark my own bugs missing if they're verified as gone.

Yup. That's about it for me. Policing other peoples bugs, in other peoples caches, that I haven't actually hunted myself, does not sound like much fun for me. I've never hunted a cache just because of a coin or bug that might, possibly be in it, but I reckon if there are folks who actually do that, missing bugs could get frustrating. Maybe. On those rare occasions when I hunt a cache and pay attention to the bugs/coins that should be in there, noticing that the inventory is off, I will note such in my log.

If you're having fun with it, have at it! :blink:

If I received the edited note, it wouldn't offend me at all. :D

UPDATE:

Between the dates of 2/12/10 and 2/20/10 I checked the caches in my area for TB that were apparently missing. I sent a note to each cache owner and the owners of the TB's. After one week here are the results:

2,000 caches checked:

151 caches with 201 TB's missing

After one week:

63 caches with 81 TB's still missing

88 caches with 131 TB's marked missing

about 60% success rate...not bad :laughing:

How did you determine that they were missing? From the logs?

In any case, having the inventory updated is nice. Thanks!

I used my best judgement. I did not check them myself (except a few). I used logs stating they were missing, notes of muggled caches, date of last movement, etc. This was not an exact science. It was up to the cache owner and the trackable owner to make the final decision. I will not be send any further notes to them as I don't want to be annoying.

This note was logged on a trackable in a cache we recently found:

"02/3/2010 GoGeocaching.com posted a note for xxxx Illinois Visit Log

[This is an automated message]

A cache containing your trackable item has been archived. The trackable's last known location was the geocache GCXXXX ( (visit link) ). You may be able to determine more about the cache and your trackable item’s status by reading the most recent logs on the cache page. If you cannot determine the current location of your trackable item, you should mark it ‘missing’ on its reference page."

I was intrigued by the wording "this is an automated message", which seems to imply that it is "official". Has anyone else run across this?

Mrs. Car54

A cache containing your trackable item has been archived. The trackable's last known location was the geocache GCXXXX ( (visit link) ). You may be able to determine more about the cache and your trackable item’s status by reading the most recent logs on the cache page. If you cannot determine the current location of your trackable item, you should mark it ‘missing’ on its reference page."

I was intrigued by the wording "this is an automated message", which seems to imply that it is "official". Has anyone else run across this?

Mrs. Car54

That note IS official. It is generated to any Trackable that is in the inventory of a Cache/Event when it get's archived. It's not related to this project by Joe in any way. The "GoGeocaching.com" is the username of the person who archived the cache.

Mrs. Car54

That note IS official. It is generated to any Trackable that is in the inventory of a Cache/Event when it get's archived. It's not related to this project by Joe in any way. The "GoGeocaching.com" is the username of the person who archived the cache.

It's added whenever a bug is marked as missing whether that be because the cache was archived or it was manually done by someone with the ability to mark as missing, such as a cache owner, a Groundspeak volunteer, or the bug owner themselves.

Edited by BlueDeuce

It's added whenever a bug is marked as missing whether that be because the cache was archived or it was manually done by someone with the ability to mark as missing, such as a cache owner, a Groundspeak volunteer, or the bug owner themselves.

Isn't this a different note? When a Cache is archived, the Trackables are NOT marked as missing, they are still in the inventory. That's the purpose of this AutoNote, to inform the Trackable's owner that THEY should mark it missing. If a CO marks a Bug as missing, the AutoNote is different.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Isn't this a different note? When a Cache is archived, the Trackables are NOT marked as missing, they are still in the inventory. That's the purpose of this AutoNote, to inform the Trackable's owner that THEY should mark it missing. If a CO marks a Bug as missing, the AutoNote is different.

Oops, I guess I didn't read it that close. :(

This is a message to let you know that your trackable item TBG49Y has been marked ‘missing’ by a cache owner or a site administrator. Trackable items are marked missing when it is determined that they are no longer located in the cache they are listed in or in the hands of the current holder. Please review the most recent logs on your trackable item to learn more information about its current state.

I personally would like to be notified when a trackable went missing. I try to stay on top of my caches and maintenance. I hate it when I come acrossed a cache with months of logs stating that the TB/coin has been missing only to find that nothing has been done about. I travel quite a bit, and sometime I only have time to look for caches with TB in them. It can be really annoying when cache after cache is empty.

Keep up the good work.

dnhyoung

I hate it when I come acrossed a cache with months of logs stating that the TB/coin has been missing only to find that nothing has been done about. I travel quite a bit, and sometime I only have time to look for caches with TB in them. It can be really annoying when cache after cache is empty.

Hmm.... as I commented in my earlier thread, I do not believe that it is the cache owner's job to keep track of other peoples' property in their caches.

But since you get annoyed when a cache shows a trackable that turns out to be missing, you gave me an idea: I should automatically mark any trackable left in my caches as missing whether it is or not. That way, you won't be disappointed, right? And since we have all heard how easy it is to re-activate such a trackable, it will be no problem for the person who finds it to reactivate it.

An extra bonus is that I won't have to endure whiny logs about missing trackables.

Of course, to be fair, I would put a notice on the cache page that any trackables left in the cache will be marked as missing. Doing it without warning would be rude.

I don't see any down-side to my idea! Does anybody else see a problem for cache owners who don't want to have to keep track of other peoples' belongings in their caches?

I hate it when I come acrossed a cache with months of logs stating that the TB/coin has been missing only to find that nothing has been done about. I travel quite a bit, and sometime I only have time to look for caches with TB in them. It can be really annoying when cache after cache is empty.

Hmm.... as I commented in my earlier thread, I do not believe that it is the cache owner's job to keep track of other peoples' property in their caches.

But since you get annoyed when a cache shows a trackable that turns out to be missing, you gave me an idea: I should automatically mark any trackable left in my caches as missing whether it is or not. That way, you won't be disappointed, right? And since we have all heard how easy it is to re-activate such a trackable, it will be no problem for the person who finds it to reactivate it.

An extra bonus is that I won't have to endure whiny logs about missing trackables.

Of course, to be fair, I would put a notice on the cache page that any trackables left in the cache will be marked as missing. Doing it without warning would be rude.

I don't see any down-side to my idea! Does anybody else see a problem for cache owners who don't want to have to keep track of other peoples' belongings in their caches?

I agree with you, I can't see a downside to your idea. I was thinking about your warning on the cache page, you might want to word it like this.

ATTENTION: Trackables left in this cache will be marked as missing by the cache owner. This will NOT affect the trackable, as once it is found it can still be logged by anyone who finds it.

I think instead of getting "whiny" logs about missing trackables, you would get positive sounding logs from all the people that were surprised and excited to find trackables they weren't expecting. I know I would rather get something unexpected, then be disappointed when I can't find something I thought was there. Unfortunately, you will probably still get emails from trackable owners complaining about your policy.

I don't even think this would affect how often the trackable gets moved. It might a little because people that like moving trackables might not make "re-visits," but it sounds like that wouldn't bother you at all.

I guess the only downside is that it creates extra work for you. By the way...I wonder what you think of the new wording of my note, is it less offensive and bossy?

Hi,

TBXXX (visit link)

GCYYY (visit link)

Thanks,

JoeSpaz

Edited by joespaz

I personally would like to be notified when a trackable went missing. I try to stay on top of my caches and maintenance. I hate it when I come acrossed a cache with months of logs stating that the TB/coin has been missing only to find that nothing has been done about. I travel quite a bit, and sometime I only have time to look for caches with TB in them. It can be really annoying when cache after cache is empty.

Keep up the good work.

dnhyoung

I hear ya dnhyoung. It's still important to mention in your logs whenever you notice a listed bug wasn't found in the cache. Unfortunately you can't always expect a cache owner to maintain the listings (pssst, some of them get a bit cranky about it) and often times the bug owner themselves are MIA or simply don't know what to do with the bug.

Since I always read every bug page before I go look for it, I usually have a good idea if I should expect to find it. When I expect I won't that's when I put the wheels in motion to get it verified as missing and removed like the OP is doing.

The later version seems much improved!

One additional suggestion (that might also separate it a step further from spam) would be to include HOW you determined they are missing. We are sure you are already aware of the difference between, "I found the cache and they weren't there." and "They were still missing when I found the cache several weeks after another cacher indicated in their log that they were no longer there and it has been several weeks since my find."

The biggest problem I see (other than it is something I would ignore from the start, don't need the cache/trackable police around) is that very shortly after you clean up the inventory it would be out again. This a never ending task. Trackables will always be misplaced, missing and showing up where they aren't listed.

Let's not make a big deal out of something that is part of the hobby.

I'd rather you not toss my TB into limbo because you don't want to deal with it. Sounds like your plan assumes that all TB owners are whiny instead of just dealing with the contents of your cache in a responsible way. Whether you want to accept it or not, trackables are a part of the game and trackables will be finding their way into your cache unless you can somehow find a way to keep them out. I'd rather you focus on finding a way to keep them out if you're so opposed to them than arbitrarily putting them in a location where they physically are not (ie missing) when they inevitably are placed in your cache.

Sounds like your plan assumes that all TB owners are whiny instead of just dealing with the contents of your cache in a responsible way.

Yes, in my experience many TB owners are quite whiny. But why is it my responsibility as a cache owner to keep track of your property in my cache? Did I ask you to have people place the TB in my cache? No. Did you ask for permission to have it put in my cache? No. So why is it now my responsibility? Why is that not your responsibility?

That's a pretty serious sense of entitlement, to expect cache owners to do your maintenance for you. When is the last time you bothered to thank a cache owner for doing it for you?

Whether you want to accept it or not, trackables are a part of the game and trackables will be finding their way into your cache unless you can somehow find a way to keep them out.

Wasn't that my plan? To place a note on the cache page asking for trackables not to be left?

The only other way I know to keep them out is to place a micro that is too small to accommodate them. Which I refuse to do. Hmm... maybe that is part of the proliferation of micros: cache owners don't want to deal with TBs. Or entitled-feeling TB owners and seekers.

I'll address these few things then I'll just accept that we are of two different minds on this.

But why is it my responsibility as a cache owner to keep track of your property in my cache?

The trackable owners should be the first in line to take care of their own trackables, I agree. Failing that, cache owners are second in line.

Did I ask you to have people place the TB in my cache? No.

Seeing as how trackables are logged on this website and are part of geocaching on this website and your cache is listed on this website... by listing a cache on this website it's a forgone conclusion that trackables will at some point find their way into your cache. There is no opt-out.

Did you ask for permission to have it put in my cache? No.

See above. There is no guideline, rule, or practice of "asking permission" to place a trackable in a cache- listed on this website.

So why is it now my responsibility? Why is that not your responsibility?

If a trackable owner knows there TB/coin is missing then yes, it should be their responsibility first to move it an unknown location. Sometimes we might have to ask a cache owner to check- hopefully this is done in a friendly way and not via the whines that you seem to be on the receiving end of- because of distance.

That's a pretty serious sense of entitlement, to expect cache owners to do your maintenance for you. When is the last time you bothered to thank a cache owner for doing it for you?

I have no such sense of entitlement when it comes to my trackables. I have never asked a cache owner to do any maintenance for me and I've moved all of mine to an unknown location myself. I've never thanked a cache owner for doing it for me because they never have. But thanks for asking. :)

I am venting here because I don't know where else to do so. Recently, TB's and GC's have been taken and not logged, from our caches and ones that we put out there. Many are special to us and a part of caching that I enjoy.

There are cachers out there, who not meaning to but do so not log (or log weeks later) their finds. I wish that cachers would be a little more courteous and NOT take TB's and GC's if they cannot log them promptly and cache owners should be somewhat responsible for keeping an up-to-date inventory.

I hesitate now to put out anything and am dismayed at seasoned cachers who refuse to ahhere to common decency. Thanks for letting me vent. PP

I am venting here because I don't know where else to do so. Recently, TB's and GC's have been taken and not logged, from our caches and ones that we put out there. Many are special to us and a part of caching that I enjoy.

There are cachers out there, who not meaning to but do so not log (or log weeks later) their finds. I wish that cachers would be a little more courteous and NOT take TB's and GC's if they cannot log them promptly and cache owners should be somewhat responsible for keeping an up-to-date inventory.

I hesitate now to put out anything and am dismayed at seasoned cachers who refuse to ahhere to common decency. Thanks for letting me vent. PP

I hear you!! Even at times where I don't log my Caches right away, I always try to log the Travelers promptly so people won't go looking for them.