confused about "discovering" a trackable coin

Pup Patrol

Maybe I have misunderstood the meaning of the "discover" option for a trackable coin.

I dropped a coin in a cache today, and when I went to the coin's page, found that a number of people have "discovered" this coin in the time that it's been rattling around in a backpack or the bottom of my purse.

How can that be? I thought that people "discovered" coins by seeing it in person, not just by visiting the coin's page.

Or have I completely misunderstood the meaning of "discovered"?

Pup Patrol

when you find a trackable in a cache, or at events, and don't want to take it to move it you just take the number from it and log a "discovered" only

its a good way to let the owner know that you have seen their trackable in the cache

Edited by t4e
Maybe I have misunderstood the meaning of the "discover" option for a trackable coin.

I dropped a coin in a cache today, and when I went to the coin's page, found that a number of people have "discovered" this coin in the time that it's been rattling around in a backpack or the bottom of my purse.

How can that be? I thought that people "discovered" coins by seeing it in person, not just by visiting the coin's page.

Or have I completely misunderstood the meaning of "discovered"?

Pup Patrol

Well if you are lost then I guess we both are!!! I agree with you. I thought to "discover" one you had to physically hold it in your hand and record the number.

I have read on other threads, the warnings of letting the number get published, as people do strange things with it.

Perhaps they discovered it before you picked it up and are just now getting around to logging??

Sounds like "logging" a cache they didn't actually find!!! I can't explain it. :) Seems kinda pointless just to get the icon on their page. (the only logical reason I could see for doing it)

Sounds like "logging" a cache they didn't actually find!!! I can't explain it. :) Seems kinda pointless just to get the icon on their page. (the only logical reason I could see for doing it)

not at all, you have to be at the cache to get the number

there are many reasons people leave trackables behind, like they know they won't be caching for a while and don't want to hold the bug too long so they leave it for the next person to move, which is very commendable on their part, also at events people bring trackables, you take the numbers of the ones you will not move and just "discover"

you in fact held that trackable in your hand

that is the reason you should never put the tracking ID in a log, because than people can log a "discovered" or take it out of the cache without physically being there

Sounds like "logging" a cache they didn't actually find!!! I can't explain it. :( Seems kinda pointless just to get the icon on their page. (the only logical reason I could see for doing it)

there are many reasons people leave trackables behind, like they know they won't be caching for a while and don't want to hold the bug too long so they leave it for the next person to move, which is very commendable on their part, also at events people bring trackables, you take the numbers of the ones you will not move and just "discover"

that is the reason you should never put the tracking ID in a log, because than people can log a "discovered" or take it out of the cache without physically being there

We are both saying the same thing!! :P You missunderstood my post. (or I was confusing in what I said) I was likening it to a cacher who logs a cache as found when they didn't actually find it. (drive by). Logging the coin without actually seeing it in a cache, at a meet, or in the hands of a friend, is what I was comparing. Sounds like what Blue Deuce was describing. I can't imagine why someone would do that other than to have the icon on their page. But then, just like the smiley, it would seem kinda hollow to me. :P

I would say "Welcome to the arm-chair caching capitol of the world -- Germany"!!!!

Looks to me as though somebody obtained the tracking number and has been circulating it so these "spoofers" can do their arm-chair caching activities.

Most all of the logs are discoveries, only. Not very much moving.

Tennessee, Ohio, Kazakhstan, SC, Montana, Ontario, Texas, Washington cachers "discovered it in 4/2007

Even discovered in Texas by a German from Nuremberg who doesn't appear to have ever left Europe!

Stopped looking after finding that last discovery I listed.

Sounds like "logging" a cache they didn't actually find!!! I can't explain it. :( Seems kinda pointless just to get the icon on their page. (the only logical reason I could see for doing it)

We are both saying the same thing!! :P You missunderstood my post. (or I was confusing in what I said) I was likening it to a cacher who logs a cache as found when they didn't actually find it. (drive by). Logging the coin without actually seeing it in a cache, at a meet, or in the hands of a friend, is what I was comparing. Sounds like what Blue Deuce was describing. I can't imagine why someone would do that other than to have the icon on their page. But then, just like the smiley, it would seem kinda hollow to me. :P

i did understand what you said, my point is that you have no way of knowing the tracking ID unless you have actually held the TB/coin in your hand and wrote it down...of course, unless someones posts the tracking ID in a log, which i have seen plenty of times and contacted the person and asked them to remove it, in which case you are right, makes no sense whatsoever to post a "discover"

most times i won't even post a "discover" if my better half did so already, to me is just means of letting the owner know that their trackable is where is listed

Yes, it's the Signal geocoin.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...02-e2bbf6307980

I've had it in my possession since October (*shame*) and I can definitely say that none of those people have been rooting around in my purse and saw it there.

And the only events it was at recently were in Texas. None of these recent discoverers seems to have attended those events.

I don't see the point in claiming to have discovered something just by looking at an online collection of coins. But I guess it makes these people happy in some way. Just struck me as rather strange. I only would use the "discover" option if I see it in a cache that hasn't been visited in a long time.

I don't think there's any harm in what they're doing. Is there? LOL

This just seems really weird to me. :(

Yes, one needs the tracking number in order to log a discovery.

The rules don't state how one must 'discover' an item - In my book, if you have seen the tracking number on the coin or travel bug itself and not on a strip of paper - you are entitled to 'discover' the item.

It really doesn't matter as discoveries are for collectors of the icons on their trackables tab in their profile for the most part anyway - which is what the discover option is really for if you think about it - otherwise it wouldn't be there (IMHO) but really.. its there for those to log the coin having not physically moved the coin from a cache or an event.

~J

i've seen some cachers that, for one reason or another, will wait days, weeks, and even months, before logging a "discovery". i assume they either misplaced the tracking number somewhere, or perhaps got pre-occupied with something else. it happens. :(

Like the list of all the Trackable Cars I saw in the garage at Geocoinfest in October...it's somewhere around here. I'll make sure to put in the right date though. One cause of confusion would be if many people saw the coin at an event, but didn't log the discovery until the Coin was in your backpack. Discovery logs are assigned to whatever is the listed location on the date the log shows. They should have back dated the logs to the date they actually saw the coin. Someone else said the number was being shared around with folks who hadn't seen the coin. This is against the rules, and can get the trackable number locked.

OK, reading some of the logs...here's what it looks like. The owner is showing off the collection(actual coins in a binder) at an event, and then instead of people having to write down the number of every coin they saw, it's preprinted for them(the whole binder). Maybe this coin used to be in the binder, and so it's on the list. Easy fix, The coin owner can(should) remove this number from the list that's being shared.

I often get the number slightly wrong and end on a different coin.

It can happen.

To state Germany as the capital of arm chair caching I take as insult.

This comes from the misunderstanding of virtual caches. Most German virtuals were really virtual caches, not virtual boxes. You never could actually visit the location. They were mysteries to solve and with solving you got the log allowance.

This brought the general understanding, that virtuals are something to solve at home.

Blame our reviewers, who didn't stop this developement.

Shared lists of coin numbers is another reason, why those discover logs might be there.

I also got someone, who discovered a lot of my coins including the one on my car. But she did this 3 month after I was in the area, and I knew for sure, that she might have seen my car, but never the small collection I had with me, that was shown only to four cachers.

One of them shared his list with her, but I deleted all those logs.

I can't stand copy and paste logs anyway....

I'd say, it is up to the owner to make sure, those logs are deleted. You could write him and tell him, you had the coin in your purse and all those loggers couldn't have seen the coin at all. Then it is up to him.

jeez what is the big deal with people posting "discover" logs? lol

i see a bigger deal in holding a trackable for 4 months, i know life gets in the way of caching sometimes, but there's always the option of dropping it off in a cache previously found and that is very close to home

jeez what is the big deal with people posting "discover" logs? lol

There's nothing wrong with Discovering a coin provided people are following guidelines. Virtual logging through 'sharing' tracking numbers is considered abuse of the system and could get the trackable locked down, even if the owner didn't intend it to be shared.