New, but quickly hooked!

rymor

Hi! I'm rather new to geocaching, but as soon as I found my first cache I was hooked. A friend turned me onto it after she noticed we had a gps. Turns out our GPS is crummy for geocaching, but we have found 18 caches in the past 4 days WITHOUT a gps at all! :) I was amazed at just how many are hidden all around me, I never had any clue about this. Since my husband works a weird shift, we often have the day to spend out looking with the kids lately. My 4 year old loves it, but every time we get out of the van, even when we take him to pre-school, he immediately starts searching for treasure. We have had to talk with him and let him know that we will tell him when treasure is near so the poor boy can stop hunting. I found my first travel bug this evening and now it looks like I have an exuse to head out again tomorrow. I look forward to many many finds. I'll be buying a handheld gps next week, if all goes as planned.

My 4 year old loves it, but every time we get out of the van, even when we take him to pre-school, he immediately starts searching for treasure. We have had to talk with him and let him know that we will tell him when treasure is near so the poor boy can stop hunting.

Sounds to me like you've got that kid trained right!

Hi! I'm rather new to geocaching, but as soon as I found my first cache I was hooked. A friend turned me onto it after she noticed we had a gps. Turns out our GPS is crummy for geocaching, but we have found 18 caches in the past 4 days WITHOUT a gps at all! :P I was amazed at just how many are hidden all around me, I never had any clue about this. Since my husband works a weird shift, we often have the day to spend out looking with the kids lately. My 4 year old loves it, but every time we get out of the van, even when we take him to pre-school, he immediately starts searching for treasure. We have had to talk with him and let him know that we will tell him when treasure is near so the poor boy can stop hunting. I found my first travel bug this evening and now it looks like I have an exuse to head out again tomorrow. I look forward to many many finds. I'll be buying a handheld gps next week, if all goes as planned.

Welcome to caching! I too work weird shifts but I take my family out once a week (usually) and we do a few caches before the kids melt down. My 5 y/o does the same thing your son does. I just have to keep reminding him to quit yelling at muggles what we're doing. If you have the funds, I suggest getting a paperless unit. It will make it all that much easier to cache. You won't spend hours manually inputting coordinates and writing down info. Think of the $ you'll save on paper and ink alone.

atleast that was the argument I used w/ my wife :(

Welcome to the crazy world of geocaching..!! <_< It is a great and relatively inexpensive hobby and great way to get the family out for exercise. I will suggest, as some others have, take the time to select a good GPSr. Too many times I have seen people buy a less expensive unit only to realise that they could have had a paperless unit or a unit that uploads easily from the GC website. They end up selling the first unit at a bit of a loss and then buying a more "geocaching friendly" unit. However if $$ are a concern, just about any GPSr will do providing you don't mind the little extra work of manually uploading the coords. Happy caching and good luck.

... but every time we get out of the van, even when we take him to pre-school, he immediately starts searching for treasure. We have had to talk with him and let him know that we will tell him when treasure is near so the poor boy can stop hunting...

;) That's awesome!

My boys are 23 and 19, and they are pretty much the same when they tag along. Funny stuff to see these hairy young beasts acting like 4 year-olds on an adventure with Momma and Dadda <_<