Geochecker REQUIRED for Puzzle Caches

TommeGun

Any cache that requires you to compute a stage must be required to provide a link to a coordinate checking application. There is no reason that any cacher should have to blindly search for a cache without being able to validate their calculations. To make it even easier, the cache submission page should provide a checkbox that allows automatic links to be generated for stages of a cache.

Any cache that requires you to compute a stage must be required to provide a link to a coordinate checking application. There is no reason that any cacher should have to blindly search for a cache without being able to validate their calculations. To make it even easier, the cache submission page should provide a checkbox that allows automatic links to be generated for stages of a cache.

You are not required to complete any stage of any cache.

If you choose to complete a puzzle, you assume the risk that YOU MIGHT GET IT WRONG! You might LOOK FOR A CACHE IN THE WRONG PLACE!

I've done that, and survived!

Nope. It isn't.

Any cache that requires you to compute a stage must be required to provide a link to a coordinate checking application. There is no reason that any cacher should have to blindly search for a cache without being able to validate their calculations.

you can take that up with the CO

all the mysteries i have done so far had a link to geochecker

if it didn't than i knew the coordinates will be "spelled" in the solved puzzle

To make it even easier, the cache submission page should provide a checkbox that allows automatic links to be generated for stages of a cache.

can you rephrase that, i read it 10 times, and have no idea what you mean?

I still say we should require hiders to hand deliver the caches to seekers. After all, every cache is meant to be found by every seeker according to the dragon.

I really don't understand why the ignore listing exists. Really. What's the use? If every cache should be found easily, then why would anyone ever wish to ignore one.

It couldn't be so that I can ignore a listing that doesn't provide a geochecker, could it?

Why in the world do PQ's give you so much control over the caches included?

I dunno. It almost seems as if there is an expectation that some cachers are not going to be looking for certain caches. Crazy concept I know.

But it could all be fixed by just requiring hand delivery of all caches. That would even satisfy the armchair cachers. :(

I still say we should require hiders to hand deliver the caches to seekers. After all, every cache is meant to be found by every seeker according to the dragon.

I really don't understand why the ignore listing exists. Really. What's the use? If every cache should be found easily, then why would anyone ever wish to ignore one.

It couldn't be so that I can ignore a listing that doesn't provide a geochecker, could it?

I dunno. It almost seems as if there is an expectation that some cachers are not going to be looking for certain caches. Crazy concept I know.

But it could all be fixed by just requiring hand delivery of all caches. That would even satisfy the armchair cachers. :(

Really? Is that what you take from what I said?

OT, I still have trouble with people thinking every issue is either black or white with no gray areas.

I still say we should require hiders to hand deliver the caches to seekers.

No, that would undermine my "Geocaching Concierge" service. We plan your hunt, filter finds to suit your taste, drive you to the spot, and for Platinum members, retrieve the cache and unroll the log for your signature.

Pfffft! If you're not willing to sign the log for Platinum members, what good are you? :(

This could be a new game. You select the caches, and the owners have to search for YOU!!!! I like it!!!!

There is no reason that any cacher should have to blindly search for a cache without being able to validate their calculations.

No, that would undermine my "Geocaching Concierge" service. We plan your hunt, filter finds to suit your taste, drive you to the spot, and for Platinum members, retrieve the cache and unroll the log for your signature.

Pfffft! If you're not willing to sign the log for Platinum members, what good are you? :(

It's all marketing. I must have something to offer to Platinum members to get them to upgrade.

Geocheckers are hosted by external websites. Why would Groundspeak *require* a cache owner to use one?

Getting the wrong coordinates is part of the risk you take when you attempt a puzzle cache. If it bothers you so much, just ignore caches that don't have checkers. Nobody's forcing you to look for a cache, and not all caches are for all people.

Aaaahhh...one of my favorite Platinum Membership benefits. :(

196c8df8-94ae-4559-b0e6-97ef7562d710.jpg

When all else fails ask the CO. "Hey, I think I solved your puzzle. Can you tell me if these coordinates are correct? Thanks."

I did that recently. When I got the CO's voicemail I left "Hey Mike I think I decoded the hieroglyphics for your puzzle cache. I just wanted to confirm the coords with you". In the return voice mail was a short message giving me the correct coords.

If I had known that he was gonna do that I wouldn't have spent four hours working on the answer.

When all else fails ask the CO. "Hey, I think I solved your puzzle. Can you tell me if these coordinates are correct? Thanks."

I did that recently. When I got the CO's voicemail I left "Hey Mike I think I decoded the hieroglyphics for your puzzle cache. I just wanted to confirm the coords with you". In the return voice mail was a short message giving me the correct coords.

If I had known that he was gonna do that I wouldn't have spent four hours working on the answer.

I would have replied with a "No, not right. Do you need some help figuring out where your error is?" instead of short changing you accomplishment when you did figure it out.

Any cache that requires you to find a stage must be required to provide a phone number to a the cache owner to arrange a meeting at the cache site. There is no reason that any cacher should have to blindly search for a cache without being able to validate their calculations by having the CO show them where it is located. To make it even easier, the cache submission page should provide a checkbox that allows automatic links to pictures of the actual hide to be generated for stages of a cache.

I'll throw my two penneth in.

If you want to be handed the coords then please stick to trads. I must admit that when I work out a puzzle and use the checker I get a bit of a buzz if i get it right. This is nothing compared to the buzz of solving a puzzle that doesn't have a checker, going out almost blind, searching round with growing anxiety that I got the puzzle wrong then grabbing the cache and proving myself right.

Puzzles are there to stretch the old grey cells and provide an addition layer of challenge. It's a variation of the game. If they were all trads then it would, in my opinion, become very boring very quickly.

I completely agree with the OP. Furthermore I think it should be mandatory that all puzzle cache owners run out to the actual location to make sure the container is actually still there when they are notified that someone has correctly solved their puzzle.

The humor impaired may insert a sarcasm smiley here<:>

The rest of you should know me well enough by now? :(

Edited by wimseyguy
I once emailed a CO for confirmation that I had solved the puzzle cache correctly. His response to me was along these lines, "Um, I really don't know if those coordinates are correct since I don't live there and don't keep track of those things. They sound about right, but I really don't know."

Seriously!!!

So... did you find the cache with the solution you came up with?

I completely agree with the OP. Furthermore I think it should be mandatory that all puzzle cache owners run out to the actual location to make sure the container is actually still there when they are notified that someone has correctly solved their puzzle.

The humor impaired may insert a sarcasm smiley here<:>

The rest of you should know me well enough by now? :blink:

Thank you for your advice. But to be honest I would much rather put the sarcasm smilie........................................................................................................................................

................................................................................................................................................

................................................................................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................<HERE>

Edited by GOF & Bacall
And, of course, what OP missed in his newby sense of entitlement is that not all puzzle caches will give you exact coordinates. Intersection of three circles? It'll get you close enough. Go here, and walk fifteen paces at 76º. It'll get you close enough.

While I don't particularly care for the tone of the OP myself, there are checkers out there that will show a successful attempt when the coordinates are within 30 ft. There's at least one checker that allows you to enter a keyword instead of coordinates, and show you additional hints (which can be the actual coordinates).

Edited by Chrysalides

I once had a puzzle/multistage going up a mountain that was found so infrequently that I almost felt obligated to do this. But that is a long story.

I appreciate geocheckers. Especially as an owner when people want me to verify their coordinates, which I am always happy to do. The last puzzle I published has an easy solution that if you get right there is no doubt about the coordinates, but I ended up putting a geochecker on it because I was getting too many guesses.

And if a puzzle takes me on a nine mile walk, bushwhacking and rock scrambling up a cliff, requiring a delicate hike across sheer ledges, I find that the extra bit of confidence (gotten one way or the other) is nice to have because I may never be back. But if geochecker were mandatory, the certitude folks would be upset.

Edited by Erickson

I thought Plantinum Membership also entitled me to an assistant to hold an umbrella if it's rainy or too sunny, gently spritz my face with water if I get too warm, and to hold my geocache bag. Oh, and serve those donuts. After all, Platinum membership is all about the donuts...or so I've heard.

And, of course, what OP missed in his newby sense of entitlement is that not all puzzle caches will give you exact coordinates. Intersection of three circles? It'll get you close enough. Go here, and walk fifteen paces at 76º. It'll get you close enough.

While I don't particularly care for the tone of the OP myself, there are checkers out there that will show a successful attempt when the coordinates are within 30 ft. There's at least one checker that allows you to enter a keyword instead of coordinates, and show you additional hints (which can be the actual coordinates).

I am aware of that. I've got at least one set for 30'. For when anyone guesses close enough. But, I could satisfy OP's demands by setting it for 'exact match'. I was pointing out OP's lack of understanding. I even have one where common sense provides the solution far more easily than the complicated math! It is also interesting to remember that GPS coordinates are, at best, good to six feet. If the puzzle is 'Find answers of ABCDEF', that's one thing. 'Find where these lines intersect' is an entirely different problem. But OP does not realize that. Newby entitlement does that.

I thought Plantinum Membership also entitled me to an assistant to hold an umbrella if it's rainy or too sunny, gently spritz my face with water if I get too warm, and to hold my geocache bag. Oh, and serve those donuts. After all, Platinum membership is all about the donuts...or so I've heard.

Ah, but to get concierge service all you need is money. Platinum is much more exclusive.

To make it even easier, the cache submission page should provide a checkbox that allows automatic links to pictures of the actual hide to be generated for stages of a cache.

I have one even better that this. GC23B5R in this cache you need to follow a video in which I personally show you to the final hide area. Only problem is you have to judge is the cache there (when you find andview the video) or at the actual posted coordinates. :blink:

Odie

Ah, but it does. Here are some of my many personal assistants retrieving a cache for me:

9f059696-033c-4d58-aeb2-268261a4c895.jpg

My personal assistants do things like: chauffeur me everywhere, push me in my wheelchair if need be (fortunately not for a while), rent a golf cart for me and drive me in it to caches, find and bring me the cache (but I sign it, gotta have some caching principles, ya know), bring the cache to me on a silver platter, and yes carry my bag, feed me grapes, bring me cold bottles of water, and I even get caches in the mail for me to log. Doesn't get much better than that! :blink::D

I'm not gunna put geochecker or eVince on my caches. I do, however, make it more than clear that people can e-mail me. A few have and I have emailed them back within a couple hours. For whatever reason, a few have gone out searching blind and ended up in the wrong area. Not my fault!

First of all I'd like to say that it is unbelievable to me that so many people would be so rude and inconsiderate to someone making their first post here. Disagreeing is one thing, but the type of comments being made here are uncalled for in my opinion.

Personally, I agree that a checker system should be required to be a part of the page. I understand the complaint that they are an outside system, but there's no reason Groundspeak couldn't include one of thier own. Just because its there doesn't mean you have to use it, but there are those of us who would like to have it.

I don't agree though that there should be a system to just give you the coordinates for puzzles or multi's that would take away from the purpose and challenge of the cache. A checker requires that you figure it out first, so you've still had to do the work, so in my opinion that doesn't really take anything away.

Hmm. . . As a puzzle cache owner, I enjoy the interaction between myself and those trying to solve the puzzles. A geochecker would remove much of that interaction.
I once emailed a CO for confirmation that I had solved the puzzle cache correctly. His response to me was along these lines, "Um, I really don't know if those coordinates are correct since I don't live there and don't keep track of those things. They sound about right, but I really don't know."

Seriously!!!

So, did you find the cache?

If so, and you'd really like to be helpful, you might email the owner again, and let them know that the coords are right, and that they might want to add a waypoint to the cache page so that they'd have a record of it. It's really easy to do, and would have the added benefit of protecting the final from having another cache placed right on top of it.

That is, assuming they don't have the final marked already and were just making people enjoy the mystery of the hunt, rather than giving them a sure thing on a silver platter. :blink:

First of all I'd like to say that it is unbelievable to me that so many people would be so rude and inconsiderate to someone making their first post here. Disagreeing is one thing, but the type of comments being made here are uncalled for in my opinion.

Generally I agree with you, but the OP kind of burst into the room and started making what read more like demands than suggestions or just ideas.

Generally I agree with you, but the OP kind of burst into the room . . .
. . . Tommy Guns blazing.

0060-0808-1917-5825_Little_Angry_Mobster_Shooting_a_Tommy_Gun_clipart_image.jpg

'Scuse the pun.

I'm not gunna put geochecker or eVince on my caches. I do, however, make it more than clear that people can e-mail me. A few have and I have emailed them back within a couple hours. For whatever reason, a few have gone out searching blind and ended up in the wrong area. Not my fault!

The problem with your approach is that if someone solves (or thinks they've solved) one of your puzzles they have to wait for you to respond via email rather than get a near immediate response from a coordinate checker. For those with a limited amount a time available to go out geocaching (all of us?) that may mean the difference between being able to go out and find your cache or ignoring it because finding your cache becomes dependent upon your schedule instead of mine. For someone that has to drive a bit to any area to do some cacheing it may be a long time before they can get to that area again.

That said, I think it's worth noting that for many puzzle caches a coordinate checker is unnecessary. Once you've solved the puzzle there is no question that the solution has produced the actual coordinates.

While not specifically related to coordinate checkers I'm starting to understand the angst that some of expressed about puzzle caches taking up spots where a traditional could go. Has anyone else looked at the caches available in Paris (France). Of the 380 caches within 10 miles of the city center, 91 of them are puzzle caches. These are not just simple read the numbers off of street signs caches. The area easily has the highest concentration of 4 star and higher puzzles caches I've ever seen. Many of them are located at primarily tourist spots. It's almost as if the French don't care if tourist visit Paris (and find geocaches). <_<