Just getting started

mjsmith1223

Yesterday I took my oldest daughter (she's 7) out geocaching for the first time. It seemed like a good way to get outside, enjoy a rare nice winter day and expose her to something new. We used my Garmin GPS 12. We loaded up the coordinates for a cache not far from our house and took off. At first she thought this was just going to be a long walk in the woods while getting snow in her boots. Then we found the cache and she discovered she could trade for something (apparently 7 year old girls always have a small toy in their pockets). Whoo Hoo! Now she thinks geocaching is awesome. We only had time for the one cache and then ran out of daylight. We'll be doing it again soon though. We tend to vacation in wilderness areas and explore, so this will be a nice addition to what we already do.

Good exercise + nice family time together + teaching about the things we come across in the forest + inexpensive = a great family hobby.

Yesterday I took my oldest daughter (she's 7) out geocaching for the first time. It seemed like a good way to get outside, enjoy a rare nice winter day and expose her to something new. We used my Garmin GPS 12. We loaded up the coordinates for a cache not far from our house and took off. At first she thought this was just going to be a long walk in the woods while getting snow in her boots. Then we found the cache and she discovered she could trade for something (apparently 7 year old girls always have a small toy in their pockets). Whoo Hoo! Now she thinks geocaching is awesome. We only had time for the one cache and then ran out of daylight. We'll be doing it again soon though. We tend to vacation in wilderness areas and explore, so this will be a nice addition to what we already do.

Good exercise + nice family time together + teaching about the things we come across in the forest + inexpensive = a great family hobby.

:):lol::huh:

Just getting started myself, I hope the weather lets you head out again soon. Hope you guys have a great time with it and welcome from a fellow n00b ha

Welcome! it is a great family activity. My 9 and 11 year old girls love it. The 9 year old even suggests it as an activity whenever we have some down time.

enjoy!

CanadaKate

also its all apart of gods great plan//keeping the family together :(

Winter caching is always excellent especially in Canada...It's so much easier to trek around in snowshooz than to fight the summer bugs..!!

So often this is true, but if you donate a little of your blood to the summer bugs they can occasionally be bribed to give you a lift to the next cache! :blink:

Winter caching is always excellent especially in Canada...It's so much easier to trek around in snowshooz than to fight the summer bugs..!!

So often this is true, but if you donate a little of your blood to the summer bugs they can occasionally be bribed to give you a lift to the next cache! :blink:

Must be from Florida...

You have nailed it there my friend. Being the daddy of daughters I look for every opportunity to spend time with them and build that relationship. (If girls don't get the love they need from their father they will find it elsewhere and that is seldom a good thing). Have a good time and my best to you and to yours.

Hoosier Guy.

also its all apart of gods great plan//keeping the family together :blink:

I second that one!