Theta innovations

Hello to everyone (my first post).

Whilst out caching in west lancs today I found a cache marked as Theta innovations very close to one listed on Geocaching.com.

I have had a look at their website and it seems that they are a corporate entertainment business.

I am just curious if others have found any of these caches and have any other info about them.

Thanks jebus.

From their website, it looks like they are using geocaching as a team building exercise on their training courses. Presumably they have used their own caches rather than GC-published caches to keep control of the training exercises. Lets hope that have at least checked the position of GC-published caches before placing their own, and warned their students what to do should they find a non-Theta cache.

The basic idea is sound, and could well introduce more cachers to the sport. :)

Chris

Hello to everyone (my first post).

Whilst out caching in west lancs today I found a cache marked as Theta innovations very close to one listed on Geocaching.com.

I have had a look at their website and it seems that they are a corporate entertainment business.

I am just curious if others have found any of these caches and have any other info about them.

Thanks jebus.

Muggle it!

:)

Lets hope that have at least checked the position of GC-published caches before placing their own, and warned their students what to do should they find a non-Theta cache.

Do you think our reviewers have the time to cross check every cache we submit against Open Caching, Terra caching, NaviCache and now this corporate site?

Why should Theta bow to Groundspeak if we don't consider other listing sites ourselves?

Lets hope that have at least checked the position of GC-published caches before placing their own, and warned their students what to do should they find a non-Theta cache.

Do you think our reviewers have the time to cross check every cache we submit against Open Caching, Terra caching, NaviCache and now this corporate site?

Why should Theta bow to Groundspeak if we don't consider other listing sites ourselves?

because gc.com is the main site and all the others are like sister sites we were here first

lmn

I agree with Keehotee. If Theta want to place caches, then so be it. They don't have to answer to anyone. There's no overall geocaching controller.

If there are any caches on geocaching.com (or any other site) in the neighborhood of one of their "courses", then the only reason for them to take an interest is if they think that one of the other caches could cause confusion. Perhaps they'll contact the cache owner in question and ask for it to be removed, or if that doesn't work then tell the landowner to get it removed.

Notice that they deliberately call it "Geo-caching". It seems a slightly different variation of the game as it is designed for use with or without GPS.

because gc.com is the main site and all the others are like sister sites we were here first

lmn

What about letterboxes on Dartmoor :(

£350 for a "Design & Construction of Intermediate Theta Geo-Cache course, consisting of 10 geo-caches plus 2 contingency caches".

Who are they trying to kid? :(

Driving 5 miles to a suitable length of hedgerow_________ £3.50

12 unwanted 35mm film pots from Boots_______________ £0.00

The looks on their faces when they realised what

they got for £350__________________________________ Priceless

:P:P:P

£350 for a "Design & Construction of Intermediate Theta Geo-Cache course, consisting of 10 geo-caches plus 2 contingency caches".

Who are they trying to kid? :(

:P:P:P

That's made my day! :P

That would take a simple agreement with the other sites. Since each database is essentially waypoints and hte GPX format is open, this isn't rocket sience. The hard part is the agreement that would make it easy.

They arleady check the database for close GC.com caches. Checking a database for close caches isn't any harder if that database has all the caches in it.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Who are they trying to kid? <_<

;):):laughing:

It's posts like this one that justify the existence of internet forums.... almost as priceless as the "looks on their faces"

:grin::grin::laughing::laughing::grin::grin:

Im guessing they might not want their customers to find a cache placed by a gc.com user, especially if the container had the website on it... I can imagine the guy who paid £350 for his sales team to go theta caching being pretty upset when he finds out he could have done it all for free

...Surely it's against GC.COM's rules to use such DIRECT MARKETING so obviously ?????

I don't see what's wrong with the cache description. Where's the "direct marketing"?

Yep - no mention of any marketing agenda on the cache page, and not even a link to their site from the hiders profile.

Where's the commercial bit?

...Surely it's against GC.COM's rules to use such DIRECT MARKETING so obviously ?????

I don't see what's wrong with the cache description. Where's the "direct marketing"?

Yep - no mention of any marketing agenda on the cache page, and not even a link to their site from the hiders profile.

Where's the commercial bit?

Hi I saw this thread and though I'd make a comment, I have been on one of theta's courses, they are brilliant, they got me into Geo-caching. Someone here seems to be missing the point though, they are a commercial venture aiming geo-caching at hotels and companies to increase productivity and promote business. The course I went on was at a hotel and the hotel had loads of bookings and like me possibly some people took the sport up afterwards.

In a way they support geo-caching. I had a chat with the guy who was running it and they are based in West Lancs, they have a lot of support from the land owners and farmers wheras some people who place caches don't even ask. I have seen their minium impact policies and some catchers don't even care about that, don't they deserve a break ? It's companies like them that are good in promoting general geo-caching.

Somebody mentioned that they called it geo-caching which can be done without a map or compass, does geo mean geographical and cache as in a hidden location, there is no mention that geo-caching should be done with a gps unless of course people can't navigate without one !

Just a thought. :lol:

Now I'm confused .... PLEASE NOTE - this is NOT personal - just part of this debate ...... Theta's activities / ethics may not be in question here. Their cache was in the SAME tree as the cache our friend Boggymarsh logged on the 26 Oct 2009. "Just a thought" .. or two ...

Boggymarsh joined Groundspeak as = boggymarsh and has been Member Since: Monday, October 22, 2007 ??

It has only taken him two years to find his first AND ONLY cache ... that has to be a UK if not a WORLD record ! I'm so please for him and that it was one of Ken's caches - the whole series is great --- If Boggymarsh would like to complete it - I for one would take him for a meal and pint afterwards .... The local cachers are VERY friendly and get-together at least once a month and anyone is more than welcome to join in.

PLease feel free to join a few local cachers at this event = GC23THX -

Wobblin in Wiggin.CAMRA. Flash Mob on Friday evening next week ............ hic hic ........ over 60 real ales will be "available" within yards of this event ...

OH - the cacher's name; heronmar....... is the same as that of the 'local' business they run .... hhmmm ... seems it pays to advertise for free !

...OH - the cacher's name; heronmar....... is the same as that of the 'local' business they run .... hhmmm ... seems it pays to advertise for free !

Obviously I noticed that and thought...so what? Groundspeak can hardly prevent it happening, and it might be that a loyal employee uses the company name for a user name. Or they perhaps run the company. In any case, it's likely to be a mention of the company name; but that's hardly "direct marketing".

Of course you'll probably have realised that I manufacture Humphreys. But I can tell you that my orders for Humphreys have remained unchanged ever since I started this marketing campaign, so Groundspeak are doing nothing for me...how are your Syllogs selling?

Presumably nobody's going to question my identity, although in these forums you never know...

Im guessing they might not want their customers to find a cache placed by a gc.com user, especially if the container had the website on it... I can imagine the guy who paid £350 for his sales team to go theta caching being pretty upset when he finds out he could have done it all for free

If he's at all like the sales managers I know, he wouldn't be upset. He'd think that £350 was pretty cheap, and he'd know he'd have spent much more than £350-worth of his time if he'd designed the whole thing himself. (Ask any gc.com event organizer how many hours' work they put into making it run smoothly - and that's before you've counted the months or years of hard-won experience which feed into the plans.)

I haven't been on one of these particular courses, but I have been on a similar-sounding treasure hunt in London. I was with about ten colleagues, and all of us involved thought it was a good deal. None of us got saddled with the pressure of organizing it, everything was beautifully planned and worked seamlessly (which we all know isn't always the case with geocaching trips!) and we were all happy to chuck in our share and get on with enjoying the day.

Of course, you're quite at liberty to decide it's not worth the money to you. But that doesn't make it a rip-off - and it doesn't mean that everyone else will feel the same way.

Cheers

Richard

Presumably nobody's going to question my identity, although in these forums you never know...

If he's at all like the sales managers I know, he wouldn't be upset. He'd think that £350 was pretty cheap, and he'd know he'd have spent much more than £350-worth of his time if he'd designed the whole thing himself. (Ask any gc.com event organizer how many hours' work they put into making it run smoothly - and that's before you've counted the months or years of hard-won experience which feed into the plans.)

I haven't been on one of these particular courses, but I have been on a similar-sounding treasure hunt in London. I was with about ten colleagues, and all of us involved thought it was a good deal. None of us got saddled with the pressure of organizing it, everything was beautifully planned and worked seamlessly (which we all know isn't always the case with geocaching trips!) and we were all happy to chuck in our share and get on with enjoying the day.

Of course, you're quite at liberty to decide it's not worth the money to you. But that doesn't make it a rip-off - and it doesn't mean that everyone else will feel the same way.

Cheers

Richard

Well said Richard thats what my boss thought, after the event I was on the way the team got on was more productive they did us a one off deal it was more than £350 I think they charge that for hotels so there clients can use it at their venue and they own the right to use their own private caches.

If Theta can pull all that together without the hassle and get small companies performance to improve I think any operations manager or director would be delighted if they saw their sales increase because of a small investment in the bigger picture of things. :lol: