What about a kids forum?

chachi44089

I am new to geocaching.Yesterday was our first three finds!!I told my daughters to look over the site and read up on the game.They said "cool site".They didnt seem real interested.I asked my oldest daughter what she didnt like.She said"no forum for kids so she could read and post with others around her age".So I ask.Has this ever been considered?I think it could make the younger players in this game feel more invited to the site.They may even find friends in their area that are "junior-cachers".Share adventures and experiences.Let me know what you think.

Ehhh, it might be a fair idea, but...

The reason for the forums' existence is (mostly) for help and assistance. Any member is welcome, regardless of age.

Do you really think that a kids' forum would really provide help and assistance? Or would it simply create another on-line playground? Sure, there are youngsters that are really "into" geocaching, but generally they as well as others (new and not-so-new to the game) need assistance or direction. That's what the forums are for.

I just don't think that I would like my membership fees used to create a kiddie chat room.

Sorry. :)

I can see your point,tho I dont feel the sites sole purpose as "help and assistance".Nor do I feel "your"membership fee would be impacted.I would be more than happy to pay for my daughters membership and may regardless of a junior forum.And I know that it could wind up a "kiddie chatroom",but if it was chatting about geocaching I dont see the problem.I would just like to see the site more "kid friendly".It wouldnt mean that you had to read the forum,or pay more money.An "online playground"about geocaching,count me in!And the kids forum doesnt have to be only help and assistance,there are the other forums here for that.Just a way for them to feel more involved in this "family oriented" game.

I am new to geocaching.Yesterday was our first three finds!!I told my daughters to look over the site and read up on the game.They said "cool site".They didnt seem real interested.I asked my oldest daughter what she didnt like.She said"no forum for kids so she could read and post with others around her age".So I ask.Has this ever been considered?I think it could make the younger players in this game feel more invited to the site.They may even find friends in their area that are "junior-cachers".Share adventures and experiences.Let me know what you think.

Since you did ask, I would think its not such a good idea. In addition to what Gitchee pointed out, I would also call attention to the full-time job the Moderators have keeping topics in the "adult based" threads off of religion, politics, abortion, gun control, ect... It has been my personal experience when minors are allowed to join forums, the seldom stay in their "designated area" and chaos ensues. (I am a member of a dozen different forums on various interests)

Sad to say but I have read more hateful, profanity laced posts from minors than I have from adults.

I would add, the sentence I bolded should tell you a lot. I encouraged my children ,when they were growing up, to become interested in the things I was interested in. This seldom worked, and when it did, they found that interest on their own. I just helped them develope it.

I don't think providing them yet another "playroom" is necessary. Please don't be offended by my words, and I do not mean to call your children in question!! I don't know anything about them except what you have posted. I am just basing my response on experiences I have had in the past!!

I would encourage getting any young person involved in the hobby, simply because it gets them away from being glued to a screen (tv or computer) in the house. I don't think giving them their own forum is assisting in that goal.

I get the point."I would add, the sentence I bolded should tell you a lot"Its not the game they were not interested in,just the site.But anyways I do get the point.No feelings hurt.They can enjoy the site vicariously through me.lol..It has been nice finding something to do as a family that actually pried them away from the TV,internet and video games.Too many kids these days are inside the house missing out on the world around them.When I was a kid I would drive my parents nuts begging to go outside and play.Now its the opposite.Thanx for the input.See ya OUTSIDE..

chachi I don't see why they can't participate in the forums here. There are a number of people they can converse with, and I suppose I don't really know the ages of any of them. I think you can do a little research and find out, if they share that info, but I could be surrounded by younger people right now and not even know it.

I am glad to see you get into the hobby, as we are fairly new to it ourselves. My wife and I have different interests, but this is one we can enjoy together, and it gets her outside with me. (I am an outdoor person!!.)

I hope your kids enjoy it, and it leads to a lifetime hobby for all of you!!!! Good luck to you and yours!! :huh:

You might post in the "Off Topic" section and see if there are other young people already on here!!

And Gitchee... I resent that remark!!! I am a 50 year old kid... not 60!!!! :) Its still a blast though!! :lol:

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I guess I see no real reson that they cant participate on these forums.They are 9 and 12.I am probably just used to some of the other forums that I frequent that are sometimes a little harsh when it comes to questions that they might percieve as dumb,not knowing a kid posted it.But all the people I have meet and read on here seem very polite and respectful in dialogue.Thanks to all of you for putting me at ease.If they decide to register and participate I will inform them to include their age,as to prevent any misunderstandings.Well,I would like to stay and chat but we are going geocaching for a few hours before it gets dark..Later

I think it would be excellent for a lot of people round here to know that there *may* be 9- and 12-year-old kids reading what we post. It should help keep things civilised.

However, a specific forum when it's *known* that the majority of posters are kids would either suffer from what was described in point #4, or become a centre of unpleasant suspicion. (I'm thinking of the bit at the bottom of the page where it says "3 User(s) are browsing this forum"...)

for the reason that Keystone mentioned, all forum registration require that you certify to be 18 years of age or older

i honestly don't see what kids would be able to learn from reading the forum here, best way for them to learn anything is to read the info on the main page of geocaching.com

even if a separate forum would be started just for kids, there is no way to control that only kids sign up, so trying to police such a forum to keep the potential offensive posts out would be an impossible job

also most parents do not allow their kids free/uncontrolled access to the internet, so you could always read up on the forums ahead of time and find threads that would be of interest to them and safe to read

I think the risk of stalkers finding a kids forum outweighs any benefits.

Besides, geocaching isn't the forums. The point of geocaching is to get out there and find things.

The forums are a place where a very small segment of geocachers spend their down time discussing the sport, but you should stress to your daughter that the entire point of the game is to get away from the computer and get outdoors.

Besides if you start bringing her to events she is likely to meet other kids her age and they can connect via the usual methods.

I'm guessing if geocaching.com ever expanded the existing Friends feature to be more than it is now, that might interest them more than a designated forum for kids. I'm thinking something along the lines of facebook/twitter where you could update your status which gets sent to your friends, and likewise view a feed of status updates from your friends. Geocaching.com could even automatically post finds to your update stream, although I'd be against that. I'm not a big fan of the automated Twitter messages they have now (too much noise). But an optional automated weekly summary update would be cool so you could keep track of what your friends have been up to geocaching-wise. Just some thoughts.

I'm guessing if geocaching.com ever expanded the existing Friends feature to be more than it is now, that might interest them more than a designated forum for kids. I'm thinking something along the lines of facebook/twitter where you could update your status which gets sent to your friends, and likewise view a feed of status updates from your friends. Geocaching.com could even automatically post finds to your update stream, although I'd be against that. I'm not a big fan of the automated Twitter messages they have now (too much noise). But an optional automated weekly summary update would be cool so you could keep track of what your friends have been up to geocaching-wise. Just some thoughts.

the automated messages from facebook with updates from friends (i.e.spam) is what prompted me to delete my facebook account

some people really overdo it, i honestly don't care to know every time they take a trip to the washroom :(