Coyotes on the Bruce Trail

Boxer Crew

Hi fellow cachers,

It has been a while since I posted on the board but some recent stories have me a little concerned.

Over the last few weeks I have been hearing more and more stories of coyotes being seen and possible aggresive in and around Waterdown/Carlisle area on the Bruce and other trails. Yesterday as I was on my way out I read the headline of the Flamboro News - Coyotes in Carlisle. This had me on edge all day, upto the point where I started doing the urban caches.

My question is "should I be worried?" Is there an issue with coyotes in this area? Should I be carrying a really big stick?

Thanks

Adam

aka Boxer Crew

I grew up there, and there's always been populations of coyotes in the forests, and farmers have been known to lose sheep to them from time to time, etc, but I've never heard any stories of them attacking humans. Yes, it's disconcerting when they start wandering into subdivisions, and you should show some caution, but unless there's been a specific warning, I wouldn't avoid trails because of it.

That said, I haven't been following the news around there, and I don't know any specifics of the current situation.

I have coyotes in my back yard. They will take small dogs even big ones if they are city slicker dogs but not country dogs lol; cats; chickens; etc but never while people are around. Keep the dogs on leashes and small children close.

The coyotes will watch you and you will probably never see them. If you do see them enjoy as they are very pretty animals. Just remember they are wild and if you feel they are to close just make yourself big and make noise. They'll be gone in a flash. If there not that means they know you are to far away to harm them and your judgment of "too close" may be a little off. lol Close would be within 200ft too close would be less than 100ft. However I have been as close as 20ft when one or the other of us has been caught by surprise (people or coyote).

Enjoy the trails. The wildlife should be part of why we go not a reason to stay away -avoid the media hype please. I have seen bears; bobcats; skunks; porcupines; raccoons; dear; elk; lizards; snakes; eagles; you name it. Have not seen a cougar yet but I am sure they have seen me.

I haven't encountered any coyotes while caching but there are plenty around in the "wild" pockets of Toronto, even in quite regularly hiked areas. I'd be more worried about them going after my dog than after me. In January, two attacked a Labrador Retriever along a trail that leads down to the lake near the Scarborough Bluffs.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...=TorontoNewHome

But I wouldn't stay home because of coyotoes or, further north, bears.

Spotted a sign today - Mississauga Central Library is hosting a "Coyotes: Ask the Experts" public information session at 7:00 (7:30?) tonight.

There are Coyotes in the ravine systems within Mississauga as well.

City of Mississauga - Information on Coyotes

Edit: Added link to Mississauga article on Coyotes

Edited by northernpenguin

My son and I had an encounter this evening with coyotes in Georgetown. Although we did not see them, we definitely heard them very close by and they did not sound friendly. Sounded like they were attacking a little dog. Several weeks ago the local paper reported on a dog being killed in it's backyard by a coyote in the same valley we were in this evening.

Got a bit more info on this from the weekly E-Notes for the Toronto Bruce Trail Club newsletter:

Bulletin from the Ontario Heritage Trust and the Credit Valley Conservation Authority

CVC has passed along this message regarding a rather larger and bolder than normal Coyote on the Scotsdale farm trails. Please forward this info to the local club to make sure that the trail users are aware of the issue and of any tactics that may be useful in ensuring public safety along the trail. To Read the Full Bulletin from the CVCA Click Here

The link in the text above links to a Microsoft Word Document on the Credit Valley Conservation Area website. This is information specific to Georgetown but also contains more general Coyote information from places like the Ministry of Natural Resources(1)(2), the Ontario SPCA and the Toronto Wildlife Centre

Edit: Here's the Microsoft Word document --- Geocaching.com won't let me embed it as a link --- "https://media6.magma.ca/www.torontobrucetrailclub.org/articles/advice_about_hiking/While I am not a coyote biologist.doc"

Edited by northernpenguin