Ammo can ban

bri13

I stopped by my local surplus store and asked to by an ammo can. The clerk said that a new law bans the sale of ammo cans and they had to destroy there invetory. WOW! What's next? :lol:

What's next? I heard the EXACT same explanation when I viisted a Toyota dealership.

Toyota dealership sells ammo cans? :)

I stopped by my local surplus store and asked to by an ammo can. The clerk said that a new law bans the sale of ammo cans and they had to destroy there invetory. WOW! What's next? :lol:

What's next? I heard the EXACT same explanation when I viisted a Toyota dealership.

Toyota dealership sells ammo cans? :)

Yeah, the brakes nor the throttle function properly, on the cans either!

I decided to make a call to the surplus store. The man said they did not have any at this time but had ordered some. I explained what had happened with his clerk and what she had said. Said he has had problms wiy her in the past. Sorry if i caused any worries... :blink:

A buddy of mine called me the other day and asked me about this. I told him I've never heard of such a thing, so I started checking into it and couldn't find anything on it. Told him they must have been feeding him some Obama bashing bullcrap. She's probably one of those ones that's running around screaming that they are gonna take away your guns. Some people will believe anything you tell them.

A buddy of mine called me the other day and asked me about this. I told him I've never heard of such a thing, so I started checking into it and couldn't find anything on it. Told him they must have been feeding him some Obama bashing bullcrap. She's probably one of those ones that's running around screaming that they are gonna take away your guns. Some people will believe anything you tell them.

What MAY be banned by certain property managers (inc. state local and Fed govt.) is using the ammo cans as a cache container. Ammo cans are in lots of ways ideal containers: nice size, water resistant, durable and not too expensive.

The problem: they are metal, so no way to know what is inside. What's worse, they usually have some garbled stenciled lettering that says something like "EXPLOSIVE, 50 CAL., DO NOT DROP, PROPERTY OF US ARMY" and the like. It probably doesn't (but should) have a sticker or writing that says "This is a geocache, don't move me, don't blow me up".

This is isn't a problem for you and I, since we know what's in their (notebook, golf balls, McToys, maybe a travel bug) but for the unaware jogger who calls the bomb squad, not so much.

bittsen you're even efficient in your typing! <_<

Don't know about the fiberglass, but noticed an online auction I keep an eye on had several lots of aluminum ammo cans listed the last time I looked. (week or so ago)

Yes, I am very efficient.

I am curious about the concept of a fiberglass ammo can. Fiberglass would take much longer to make and would not stand up to the abuse of a steel ammo can. It should cost more money to use fiberglass over steel. So, naturally it doesn't make sense to convert to fiberglass.

I heard this rumor as well about 2 years ago. I had heard that they were going to stop selling ammo cans because of national security concerns. About 2 months later a bunch of us pooled money and bought about 50 30 cals and 20 50 cals from a guy who had just purchased them from an ARMY base in New Mexico. I havent tried to buy any since but with the ease at which we got the shipment, I didn't put much stock in to the rumor.

you cant buy them or you cant use them???

I M NOTgetting it ?? :laughing:

Don't worry about it. It's likely a myth to begin with. I've hear it before and it was never true then and it's not true now.

The ammo can "ban" wasn't about using them (anywhere), it was about the military selling them to the public. The military sells off surplus and those, who buy ammo cans at auction and then sell ammo cans, want to keep the price high. So, they produce rumors that they will soon be banned in hopes of driving the price up. Unfortunately it's worked quite well. It's worked so well that people buy the cans from the government auctions which drive the price up BEFORE the military surplus stores can get hold of them.

They have stopped making ammo cans. Fiberglass is cheaper so you might see the price of metal cans go up. That may take awhile because there are millions of them out there.

Source?

A couple of years ago I heard they were looking for a way to replace the ammo cans. Preferably with something consumed in the process of using the ammo. The goal being no surplus to deal with.

I have not head if this moved beyond the pipe dream stage. I've also hears (rumor) that they were looking at plastic wrap type packaging. The only sure thing is they are looking at options.

As for the OP the guy he talked to was smoking crack. Even if they did ban ammo cans they could not automatly have everone destroy the ones they have short of an "exchange program". Where they pay us some pittance to rid the world of these vile and evil things that we all like so much.

I stopped by my local surplus store and asked to by an ammo can. The clerk said that a new law bans the sale of ammo cans and they had to destroy there invetory. WOW! What's next? :blink:

Toyota dealership sells ammo cans? :huh:

:ph34r: Maybe we can use a Toyota as a cache!

I stopped by my local surplus store and asked to by an ammo can. The clerk said that a new law bans the sale of ammo cans and they had to destroy there invetory. WOW! What's next? ;)

Toyota dealership sells ammo cans? :lol:

:D Maybe we can use a Toyota as a cache!

If you could get it to stop.[

They have stopped making ammo cans. Fiberglass is cheaper so you might see the price of metal cans go up. That may take awhile because there are millions of them out there.

Source?

A couple of years ago I heard they were looking for a way to replace the ammo cans. Preferably with something consumed in the process of using the ammo. The goal being no surplus to deal with.

I have not head if this moved beyond the pipe dream stage. I've also hears (rumor) that they were looking at plastic wrap type packaging. The only sure thing is they are looking at options.

It has to be soldier proof in order for it to be successful. The metal ones are pretty much soldier proof, and I think they would be hard pressed to find anything near as soldier proof.

Edited by Dwoodford

Trust me. We still use metal ammo cans. Still throw them away too. :mad: The soldiers are not allowed to take any, at least they aren't in my company. Fiberglass is a safety hazard in something treated as roughly as ammo cans. The Army will not use it to replace metal ammo cans. They may cheapen the metal but they wouldn't go fiberglass.