Why spring is the best time to geocache

ras_oscar

Ok bs and gs, its that time of year when the young at heart turn their thought s to spring geocaching.Thought it'd be fun to get a list of all th reasons why spring is the best time of year to geocache. I'll go first:

1. The underbrush isn't thick yet

2. The bugs arent out yet

3. Don't need to mess with mittens anymore

4. Don't need to messs with snow shoes any more

5. Great reception with no canopy cover

6. Don't need to deal with containers frozen into a tree stump anymore

Ok bs and gs, its that time of year when the young at heart turn their thought s to spring geocaching.Thought it'd be fun to get a list of all th reasons why spring is the best time of year to geocache. I'll go first:

Spring and Fall are the best seasons. However spring isn't until march 21 and there still is plenty of snow here.. Grrr.. :)

Spring is the worst season for caching, in my opinion. Everything is muddy and wet, but also cold enough that it really sucks when your socks get soaked through. Then, just as it starts to warm up and the ground gets a little firmer, the mosquitoes come out.

I love caching in the late summer and throughout the Fall. The last two Novembers have been great for caching, here.

Spring is the worst season for caching, in my opinion. Everything is muddy and wet, but also cold enough that it really sucks when your socks get soaked through. Then, just as it starts to warm up and the ground gets a little firmer, the mosquitoes come out.

I love caching in the late summer and throughout the Fall. The last two Novembers have been great for caching, here.

I like all the seasons for caching but if I had to pick a least favorite it would be spring. The insects are at their worst, the mud, rain sometimes for days.

lets not forget the mud...who doesn't love slipping and falling in mud as opposed to snow? :(

best part about spring geocaching is that you get to observe the nature "waking" up :P

Two of my favorite flowers are witch hazel and skunk cabbage. Witch hazel is the last flower to bloom. I've seen it as late as January. But skunk cabbage is the first flower of the year! When you see it blooming, you know that spring is just around the corner.

Holy crap you guys must be really dedicated to cache in those conditions. I was out caching on Saturday and it was about 72 degrees and I was complaing about how cold it was.

Edited by Shrekito

9. Many new caches are hidden.

Geocaching is coming up on it's 1,000,000th hide, and I think it may happen before spring!

Apologies for the pedantry but we crossed that threshold a while ago. The count you are referring to is only for active caches.

Back to topic.

I love caching in Spring as I'm usually a fair weather cacher and I don't like it too hot. Plus Spring just brings out happy feeling in me. Always has.

My best caching month last year was April. The weather just begged for it which is why I've planned my camping event for then.

Holy crap you guys must be really dedicated to cache in those conditions. I was out caching on Saturday and it was about 72 degrees and I was complaing about how cold it was.

OK. That's just absurd. 72 can in no way, shape, or form be considered cold.

Edit: Unless you're giving temperatures in Kelvins that is.

Edited by otisb89

Thats cold for you? :( I was out caching in 37 F (3 C) last weekend, and thats been warm recently :P

What? 72 is swimming weather!

lets not forget the mud...who doesn't love slipping and falling in mud as opposed to snow? :blink:

best part about spring geocaching is that you get to observe the nature "waking" up :D

Two of my favorite flowers are witch hazel and skunk cabbage. Witch hazel is the last flower to bloom. I've seen it as late as January. But skunk cabbage is the first flower of the year! When you see it blooming, you know that spring is just around the corner.

i love the White Trilliums, also Ontario's provincial flower, in certain areas they are as far as the eye can see B)

P5210021.jpg

P5190016.jpg