Garmin eTrex. Help please.

geo blazer

I have a chance to purchase a brand-new, never been out of the package, Garmin eTrex for $25, with the understanding that I can return it if it doesn't work correctly.

How good of a deal is that? I ask because I have no idea which cable (how much $$) to purchase. I need to be able to download caches onto it from my Acer laptop. I think one of these might work, but don't want to make a mistake:

--https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=654 (part # 010-10206-00). On this website, it will cost $38, plus whatever shipping will cost. I think that's too much, considering how old of a model the gps is. I could spend that much, plus a little more, to get a better unit down the road sometime.

--on ebay, I found this: "Data IF Cable Garmin 010-10206-00 eTrex Vista Venture", which costs $15 with free shipping.

If I get the one from ebay, will that be all I need in order to plug the two together and download coord's?

If I don't spend the extra money to get a cable at all, do you know if I could just type in the coord's directly into the garmin etrex?

Can anybody help me please? Thanks in advance!

The etrex family uses a standard USB to mini-USB cable. You may already have one sitting around your house from various other electronics (like a digital camera). Otherwise you can get one at any electronics store.

No special software needed. I do think you need to install a driver for your computer to recognize the etrex, but the first time you go to send a geocache to your etrex using the geocaching website, it will prompt you for what you need to do.

The etrex family uses a standard USB to mini-USB cable. You may already have one sitting around your house from various other electronics (like a digital camera). Otherwise you can get one at any electronics store.

No special software needed. I do think you need to install a driver for your computer to recognize the etrex, but the first time you go to send a geocache to your etrex using the geocaching website, it will prompt you for what you need to do.

How do I get a driver for it? It doesn't come with one.

Do you mean I need two cables: one standard and one mini, or do you mean I can use either size? Sorry for the confusion & thanks for your advice so far.

I have a chance to purchase a brand-new, never been out of the package, Garmin eTrex for $25, with the understanding that I can return it if it doesn't work correctly.

Even if it is just the old Etrex yellow (the one with the globe printed on top an some "12 channel..." on top of the display) than it is definitely worth $25!

BUY IT!

GermanSailor

Yes, you can enter coordinates manually. But it gets old really fast.

I'm assuming $25 gets you a very old unit. You're giving up USB, acquisition time, high sensitivity receiver. Depending on the model, you may also be giving up the ability to display maps.

USB to serial adapters / cables can be a nightmare to install and use.

Without knowing more about you it is impossible to say whether this would be a good deal for you. I'd look for a 2nd hand eTrex Venture HC instead if budget is a concern.

Since you want to connect to a laptop you likely don't have a serial port.

This cable is easy to install, has the drivers included and you don't have to mess with extra pieces to do a serial to usb connection. This cable does t all.

I have an etrex H for my son and use this cable here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Cable-Power-Data-C...=item48396a4332

This is basically the same thing, just made by someone else.

Even if it is just the old Etrex yellow (the one with the globe printed on top an some "12 channel..." on top of the display) than it is definitely worth $25!

BUY IT!

GermanSailor

That's what I was thinking. My husband and I are on opposite sides of the fence on this issue.

Yes, it is the old etrex yellow with the globe printed on top. It's just a plain old etrex. However, I've read a lot of reviews on it since yesterday and it seems to be a pretty good model. Not all that many bad comments about it.

I say this is the perfect opportunity to get a better gpsr than we have. Definitely fits our budget. I figure if it is possible to enter the coord's by hand, we don't need to spring for a cable right away. Maybe later on we could get one.

Thanks!

That's the one if you don't have a serial port on your computer. You don't have a Macintosh, do you?

I have a fairly new Acer laptop. I'm not even sure what a serial port is. I know I have a couple of USB ports.

A serial port is what is on that GPS, so the cable/converter ICHTHYS linked to will convert from USB to RS232 serial needed by the GPS.

Yes, you can enter coordinates manually. But it gets old really fast.

I'm assuming $25 gets you a very old unit. You're giving up USB, acquisition time, high sensitivity receiver. Depending on the model, you may also be giving up the ability to display maps.

USB to serial adapters / cables can be a nightmare to install and use.

Without knowing more about you it is impossible to say whether this would be a good deal for you. I'd look for a 2nd hand eTrex Venture HC instead if budget is a concern.

More about me? Well, I guess based on some of my posts, you can determine that I'm not a computer/electronic whiz LOL! I'm not stupid, but there are many things I don't know. And I'm "it" in this household; hubby knows even less than I.

Budget is a concern.

So are all these conflicting opinions, but I asked for them! LOL

Thanks!

That's the one if you don't have a serial port on your computer. You don't have a Macintosh, do you?

I have a fairly new Acer laptop. I'm not even sure what a serial port is. I know I have a couple of USB ports.

A serial port is what is on that GPS, so the cable/converter ICHTHYS linked to will convert from USB to RS232 serial needed by the GPS.

Ok, I understand. I think, between hubby & I and a few other people to help us, we can figure all this stuff out.

In your opinion, if we buy this thing (brand new), and we absolutely hate it, do you think we could sell it and get our money back out of it?

Ok, I understand. I think, between hubby & I and a few other people to help us, we can figure all this stuff out.

In your opinion, if we buy this thing (brand new), and we absolutely hate it, do you think we could sell it and get our money back out of it?

Yes, easily on ebay.

I say this is the perfect opportunity to get a better gpsr than we have. Definitely fits our budget. I figure if it is possible to enter the coord's by hand, we don't need to spring for a cable right away. Maybe later on we could get one.

Thanks!

You can make the serial data cable yourself. A manual (in German, but the pics will help) shows how to do this. I found almost 300 geocaches with this unit and a Geko 301. Always entering the coords manually.

Again: Buy it!

GermanSailor

Thanks!

You can make the serial data cable yourself. A manual (in German, but the pics will help) shows how to do this. I found almost 300 geocaches with this unit and a Geko 301. Always entering the coords manually.

GermanSailor

I told them I would buy it, so they're going to set it aside for me until we can go get it. We decided to try it out and if we hate it, we'll sell it. If we like it, we'll sell the one we have.

Thanks for the help, and I'll have hubby look at those instructions you gave me the link to!

Thanks!

GermanSailor

There is a button that show a English version or you can click manual

Understand this, your computer will need to have a DE9M serial com port or if not a serial to USB adapter to use the self made cable. You might be better off purchasing the combo one listed then making a serial cable and then purchasing an adapter if your computer doesn't have the port built in.

I have that same Garmin GPS... how do you enter the way points by hand?? and does any one have a solution for uploading way points over the serial cable through a Linux OS

thanks

Here is a link to the manuals.

The topmost position on the "Menu" page is "Mark" select this, and on the next page you can enter the 6-digit name, select a symbol and enter elevation and the coordinates.

GermanSailor

Just wanted to update this thread:

We did buy the Garmin eTrex and we LOVE IT! It's easy to use and very accurate. I manually put in the coord's for several different caches in the areas we were planning on caching in and it was pretty easy. We aren't even planning to purchase anything to download caches to the Garmin with now.

Thanks again for all the great advice!