How far to my own Hide

Petriez

I think moreso than linear distance, the "distance" question is Ability to Maintain. <_<

Regarding traditional placements --

Long distance caches are generally allowed if the CO is of the means to maintain the cache. Some are long distance where the CO has demonstrated reason and usually the fact that they (at least occasionally) are through that particular area anyway!

The best guide is asking your publisher.

How far to my own Hide from my home coordinates is allowed. I want to hide a cache about 60-70 km's from my home coordinates.

Ask the reviewer. I have seen caches published were it was actually stated in the listing that tourists have hidden it.

As long as you can maintain a geocache or you can name a person who will perform maintenance this shouldn't be a problem. But again, it's up to the reviewer.

GermanSailor

I have caches hidden within 5 Miles from work and also 5 Miles from Home. Given the 5 mile space between work and home, I guess I have about a Total Radius of 15 Miles that I would be comfortable with to Maintain the caches, given a Centralized Hub somewhere toward the Center of that 15 Miles.

Give me some Slack in my radius range, and I may be comfortable with a 25 Mile range Max radius of the caches I would Hide and Maintain. In my case, that central Hub would be midway between home and work and that turns out to be about 2.5 Miles SE of my home coords.

That's what I would be comfortable with, and that's just my humble Opinion. Of course, different folks have different Options. Myself, I have a farm 3 1/2 hours away from home that I could place several caches on. It's MY land, so I know I can hide them there. But.... I'm not there frequently enough to maintain the caches properly. So that leaves me out of owning any caches in Michigan! <_<

60-70K is not a problem as long as you can maintain it.

When you submit the listing make sure you cover how you are going to do that in the reviewer note.

It can be a long way when all that is needed is the log book needs changing or drying out. But easy if it you pass the location on a regular basis.

Maybe here in Southern California, we have a different view on distances. I drive 70 kilometers one way to my office. So, a 30 kilometer jaunt is almost nothing.

Once you get in the 60+ km range many reviewers will ask you about how you plan to maintain the cache. If it's an area you visit frequently mention that in the note to reviewer before you submit it.

If there are other caches in the general area 60km away that gives you a pretty good reason for visiting that area frequently.

When I first started cacheing all of my finds were 5-10 miles from home. Now I find that I spend most of my time geocaching 20-30 miles from home so, IMHO, it would not be unreasonable to hide a cache that far away from home. It's most a matter of whether I want to maintain a cache that far away and since there are *lots* of nice spots closer to home where I can place a cache I probably keep all my placements closer.

I've got one a couple hundred miles, whether or not you can maintain it is the important question.

One of mine isn't that far, maybe a hundred miles or so, but I also pplan to put out at least 2 more in that area so a maintenance run will take care of 3 caches as well as let me find some others in the area. Sure it will be an all day affair but I don't mind.

Speaking as another NZ cacher, I think you will find your reviewer Camocrab quite obliging about discussing possiblities with you.

As others have said, there are a number of variables, such as how often the cache is likely to need maintained, how often you visit the area, whether there are other cachers or family members there you can ask to check on it for you etc, etc. If you can give your reviewer good information about how you intend to handle maintenance issues, there is a good chance you can place the cache.

BTW come on over to the local New Zealand forum to chat with other local cachers and reviewers NZ GPS Society Forum There is a specific thread in the geocaching forums there for asking the reviewers questions!!

You will be welcomed!

Annie

I found this thread yesterday after I had placed 3 caches over a hundred miles from my home coords! As soon as I began to read this thread, I became a little worried that they wouldn't be published!

I'm a truck driver & I'm always looking for "18 wheeler friendly" caches! There's not alot of them, so I located some areas that are easy access for big trucks, that are along my daily route!

Last night I submitted them to be reviewed! In my "reviewer notes" I just explained my situation & that I'm in this area alot during the week!

All of these caches are micros with logs only, so maintance would be easy to take care of!

My reviewer published these caches without any question!

I'm very pleased!

I think there are some great hints and help here in this thread! I appreciate everyone here for their input! Without finding this thread, my caches may not have been published!

I'm a truck driver & I'm always looking for "18 wheeler friendly" caches! There's not alot of them, so I located some areas that are easy access for big trucks, that are along my daily route!

Last night I submitted them to be reviewed! In my "reviewer notes" I just explained my situation & that I'm in this area alot during the week!

All of these caches are micros with logs only, so maintance would be easy to take care of!

Tinman.....

Truckers aren't the only ones that like those "rest stop grabs". As for maintenance.... almost anyone will help maintain a micro at a rest stop. New log sheets and baggies are a piece of cake to replenish.