I swear to God...

fendermallot

I hate poison oak...

Atleast I hope that's what it is. No itch, just crazy pain. kinda hard to sleep when it's on your side.

It could be worse. You could have rubbed against it during an emergency bathroom stop.

In case you didn't know, you could get some Oragel and mix it with neosporin to make the itch go away. At least that's what I was told a long time ago. (it makes sense though)

It might work on poison oak pain too.

You used to be able to buy Lidocaine over the counter but that was 20 years ago. If you could get some Lidocaine, you would be amazed at how well it can numb an itch or pain.

Edited by bittsen

no itch, just pain. The crazy part is I never went into the woods... I think I got this at "Bee's Knees" down on Rigert Road. I swore they were spider bites at first. If it's still hurting like this on Monday, I might go see my doctor. A week of pain sucks!

That doesn't look like a place where poison oak would like to grow. I know I won't be searching there soon.

If you didn't start out with an itch, it's not P.O.

Sounds like Shingles? At least from the way I read it.

Have you ever had ChickenPox? I'm told the virus stays in your body and can reappear as Shingles. Rash,pain, etc.

I was just going to say that. Sounds more like shingles than poison oak. Poison oak itches like the devil but it isn't particularly painful. Shingles are painful and can look somewhat like an allergic reaction to PO or PI

19687.jpg

rofl, that sorta looks like what I have. Then again, it looks like P.O. too... Like I said, if it's not cleared up by Monday, I'll hit the Dr. Office.

edit: Oh, and not everyone gets itchy w/ Poison Oak/Ivy/Sumac. That's according to the interwebs, so it must be true :-p

Edited by fendermallot

rofl, that sorta looks like what I have. Then again, it looks like P.O. too... Like I said, if it's not cleared up by Monday, I'll hit the Dr. Office.

edit: Oh, and not everyone gets itchy w/ Poison Oak/Ivy/Sumac. That's according to the interwebs, so it must be true :-p

It is, my daughter is immune. She placed a cache in a remote area, pushing aside the brush. The FTF'er mentioned that the cache is in the middle of a bunch of PO. She had to move it.

It is, my daughter is immune. She placed a cache in a remote area, pushing aside the brush. The FTF'er mentioned that the cache is in the middle of a bunch of PO. She had to move it.

It is true, some have immunity (I do, last I checked) -- but, the immunity may well "wear off" and disappear w/o warning. When you find out, you usually have one of worst cases because of that!

Just so you know. :D<_<:unsure::huh:

There is no cure for shingles, but treatment may help you get well sooner and prevent other problems. Call your doctor as soon as you think you may have shingles. The sooner you start treatment, the better it works. Treatment may include:

■Antiviral medicines, sometimes given with steroid medicines, to help you get well sooner and feel less pain.

■Medicines to help long-term pain. These include antidepressants, pain medicines, and skin creams.

Good home care can help you feel better faster. Take care of any skin sores, and keep them clean. Take your medicines as directed. And use over-the-counter pain medicines to relieve pain.

Avoid contact with people until the rash heals. While you have shingles, you can spread chickenpox to people who have never had chickenpox. Be extra careful to avoid people with weak immune systems and pregnant women and babies who have never had chickenpox.

http://health.yahoo.com/infectiousdisease-...e--hw75435.html

Sorry about your strange rash, but why do you need to curse God when you post about skin ailments? :unsure:

Well, supposedly he/she/it did put the PO and PI and PS here on make the flora day. <_<

Seems reasonable to me.

I didn't read it as cursing God. I read swear to God as taking a oath that what you are about to say is true. For example "I swear to God that I found the cache even though my name isn't in the log book". :huh:

I didn't read it as cursing God. I read swear to God as taking a oath that what you are about to say is true. For example "I swear to God that I found the cache even though my name isn't in the log book". <_<

I read it the same way. Or "I swear to (insert deity) if this rash goes away I will be a better person".

I read the Anti-swearing comments to be self richeous, "I'm better than you", posts.

And who knows which god he was swearing to. It might have not even been their god.

Edited by bittsen

I didn't read it as cursing God. I read swear to God as taking a oath that what you are about to say is true. For example "I swear to God that I found the cache even though my name isn't in the log book". <_<

I read it the same way. Or "I swear to (insert deity) if this rash goes away I will be a better person".

I read the Anti-swearing comments to be self richeous, "I'm better than you", posts.

And who knows which god he was swearing to. It might have not even been their god.

No more than you are more of the time

That sounds oddly like a personal attack.

hmm.

That sounds oddly like a personal attack.

hmm.

No more than yours

Edited by The Ravens

Odin's Beard! (just had to get that off my chest) I hate poison ivy/oak/sumac too. Of course I haven't gotten it (yet) but my husband gets it bad enough for the entire family. Get it checked out, sounds like the shingles folks know what they're talking about.

I am not going to ask why Odin's beard was on your chest. Does your hubby know? Never mind. Not my business.

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's shingles. I've had it since last Monday but hopefully it's clearing up some. I will be hitting the Dr.'s on Monday.

I don't recall ever experiencing this much pain before. This is unreal!

The little rashy spots you get are at nerve endings. Holy crap do cold shivers hurt! The only thing that will make it better, besides pain meds and some capsaicin cream, is my Oregon 400t showing up on Tuesday =P

To the original poster, I am a doctor and my first thought on reading your post was "shingles." You should indeed see your doctor, because a seven-day course of an antiviral medication will significantly cut down on the chances of you developing post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN), which is basically lingering pain after the rash is gone. Furthermore, if the pain is so bad that you need some relief, your physician can prescribe painkillers to make the acute phase more tolerable. Shingles is typically exquisitely painful, without pruritis (itching sensation)--hurts to wear a T-shirt, to even breathe on it.

To the original poster, I am a doctor and my first thought on reading your post was "shingles." You should indeed see your doctor, because a seven-day course of an antiviral medication will significantly cut down on the chances of you developing post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN), which is basically lingering pain after the rash is gone. Furthermore, if the pain is so bad that you need some relief, your physician can prescribe painkillers to make the acute phase more tolerable. Shingles is typically exquisitely painful, without pruritis (itching sensation)--hurts to wear a T-shirt, to even breathe on it.

yes sir, I'll be finding a doctor to talk to tomorrow about it.

I hate poison oak...

At least I hope that's what it is. No itch, just crazy pain. kinda hard to sleep when it's on your side.

Sounds like poison ivy not poison oak. I have had both, twice and poison oak will grow big lumps of puss that will eventually bleed out! Very disgusting. Last time it was on my foot I took a picture of it and accidentally deleted it. I which I still had it. My foot looked like bubble wrap. definitely the worse thing to get.

I hate poison oak...

At least I hope that's what it is. No itch, just crazy pain. kinda hard to sleep when it's on your side.

Sounds like poison ivy not poison oak. I have had both, twice and poison oak will grow big lumps of puss that will eventually bleed out! Very disgusting. Last time it was on my foot I took a picture of it and accidentally deleted it. I which I still had it. My foot looked like bubble wrap. definitely the worse thing to get.

Lordy! You deleted your foot? What next?

The first time I got a bad case of Poison Ivy from geocaching (in the early spring, before the "leaves of 3" were even out ) I foolishly tried to treat it with OTC remedies for a week before it got so bad that I finally went to the doctor. She told me if it happened again and did not improve within 3 days to get medical help. If the rash gets infected, it's much harder to treat. When I was a kid, just a little calamine lotion was enough, but maybe the effects get worse as you get older.

I've never had shingles but hear they are bad; my doctor mentioned there is a shot you can get to help prevent, or at least limit, getting shingles, although I haven't gotten that shot yet.

You may be in for quite a lot of pain and discomfort, even well after the sores heal. The neuralgia can last a long time. In some cases, even a shirt rubbing over the area can be excruciating. If that happens to you, ask your physician for Lidoderm patches. For some people, the pain relief is surprising. They aren't cheap, but depending on the size of the affected area, you may be able to cut them into smaller pieces. The picture tells it all. That's a large outbreak. My sympathy goes out to you.....