Buying 35mm Film Canisters

23below

I would like to get some 35mm film canisters. They make great hides in my opinion. Is there any local stores that they can be purchased at, or do you have to shop online or have a 35mm film camera?

I'll let others comment on whether or not they make good caches, but you should be able to get them for free by asking at your local photo processing center.

I would like to get some 35mm film canisters. They make great hides in my opinion. Is there any local stores that they can be purchased at, or do you have to shop online or have a 35mm film camera?

If you go to someplace that develops film, they will probably give you some containers. I know you can get them for free from CostCo and Sams Club.

But, if you are going to use them, buy a few sheets of "rite in the rain" paper cuz the containers leak.

The Fuji type (translucent white) are better than the Kodaks (grey cap, black body).

The APS types are useless.

Waterproof match containers make a much better container. Walmart sells them for $1 but they come in Here-I-Am orange. I did a quick google search and found an online retailer selling an olive green colored one for $1.50 but I've no experience with them.

Preforms (also calld baby soda bottle and "plastic test tubes") cost under $1 each in quantity. As a bonus, the FTF gets to crack the seal.

In 2003 they were all the rage. Micros were just catching on and they were cheap and plentiful.

By 2004 there were lots of reports of leakage.

In 2005 and 06 there were many anti film can micro threads. They were rougue. Even under a lampost skirt they leak. <_<

The ones sealed in concrete formed to look like a rock are ok though.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I recently found a 35mm film can micro a week or two after a few days straight of rain. When I pulled out the log it was a nasty and slimy mess that emitted a rotten odor. The smell was on my hands and I had to run in the gas station to give them a thorough scrubbing. I imagine it had been sitting in the cache soaked for weeks.

Put film cans to better use : google for "film canister cannon".

They're also good for a CITO kit. I've seen several of them in caches. You can stuff a plastic bag inside them and they won't take up much room in a cache but can hold a plastic bag full of garbage.

That's what I use them for. I stuff a garbage bag inside and tape a CITO label to the side with clear packing tape. I wouldn't use them for caches anymore. Too many maintenance trips to deal with wet contents.

If you have a Walgreens close go in to the photo department and ask for their empties they are glad to get rid of them for free, went in once and came out with over 100 free.

Scubasonic

I have recently found some of the translucent white type of film canister - The logs were pretty dry inside, but there hadn't been that much rain recently, just snow, which hadn't melted yet.

I would suggest you buy some bison tubes off ebay, I recently bought 6 bison tubes for around £5.

Here Is a eBay search from "Micro Geocache" - Which shows plenty of bison tubes.

Edited by Mini-Geek
A nice easy one to build:
...how about those film canisters? For all you who've been messaging me about the film canister gun, a much better use for those pesky objects, here's how it goes:

First off, while this is a relatively safe contraption, like any gun, DO NOT POINT IT AT ANYONE!

You need one clear film canister (the type that the cap nests inside the can) and a few (at least 4, you can experiment...) of the black type. With an awl, poke holes in the bottoms of all the film canisters but one of the black ones. Stack the cans with the hole-less can on bottom and the clear one on top (only the clear should have a lid). Press down on the stack, forcing each canister into the one below it. Again, this takes some experimentation to find how hard to press. You've now built up pressure! By pressing on the side of the top canister, the lid will be forced out and propelled by the air. It makes a loud popping noise and will fly across the room when you get the right balance of pressure. <_< Adding a little water to the top black can makes for a water-jet propelled cap!

Requires no explosives. :unsure: Edited by Too Tall John

If you have a Walgreens close go in to the photo department and ask for their empties they are glad to get rid of them for free, went in once and came out with over 100 free.

Scubasonic

You know, I tried that once at Rite Aid, and they looked at me like I was smoking crack or something. They did find one for me though.

I didn't want to place them, I wanted to make a film canister sculpture to be burned at a bonfire at an event cache in SW Pa. though. <_<

They're also good for a CITO kit. I've seen several of them in caches. You can stuff a plastic bag inside them and they won't take up much room in a cache but can hold a plastic bag full of garbage.

That's what I use them for. I stuff a garbage bag inside and tape a CITO label to the side with clear packing tape. I wouldn't use them for caches anymore. Too many maintenance trips to deal with wet contents.

They can also be used to store rubber gloves. My dad is an EMT/First Responder/Volunteer Firefighter, and he always carries a few in his car.