Log my own cache as found?

Cowboy Camper

I own 3 caches myself. I'm wondering if it's OK to log them as a Find due to circumstances for each cache.

One I brought back from Archive status cause the original owner went missing, and I Did find his cache not once but Twice. I logged both Finds because the second find is when the existence of the cache was in question at the time just prior to being archived. Also it was found the second time in another location and about a year after I found it the first time. I'm leaning toward Not logging this one as another find. (I've already found it twice, and I am comfortable in claiming those 2 finds already.)

The other 2 I own I hid myself but under what I consider unusual methods. In both cases I used the Google Maps at the geocache site to choose the cache location prior to actually having visited the actual hiding spot. I then went to GZ with the GPS to capture the coords needed for the listing and also to make sure that the chosen location wasn't too close to another cache or active RR tracks. (this is especially true with my cache called Full Astern.) For this cache I am inclined to think that I could post a Found It log even though I own it. I did do the real GPS work at GZ prior to the listing being published.

For my Beacon of Light cache I did the same thing with the Google Maps app prior to actually taking the GPSr to the site to capture the needed coords for the listing. I was surprisingly close with the coords from the computer screen to the actual location too. But I didn't really need to check in advance or at the real GZ site for RR tracks and other caches, so I'm mixed on whether I should log that one as a find or not. I just wanted to see how close I'd be with the coords if I tried that trick again before actually placing the cache. As I mentioned, I was pretty close.

This question has been nagging me for a while, so I figured it's high time that I actually asked it here. My opinion is that I would be fair by claiming Full Astern as a legit Find. I'm in the middle about whether Beacon of Light is fair or not, and I'm pretty confident that I should Not log Archival Revival as a find.

I now leave this question up to you folks before I make any log entries into my caches. In Advance, Thanks for your inputs. <_<

I can only tell you what I'll do. What you want to do is up to you and won't upset me if I disagree. It does appear to upset some other people though, just giving you a heads up.

Short answer : no and no.

I'd only post one find per cache. If a hide is changed significantly, an owner should archive the old hide and relist. If the owner doesn't do so, I won't even know it has changed. Even if I did go back and find the new hide (e.g. to place a TB) I won't log a new find on it. Even if I did someone a favor by confirming a cache is still there, I'd log a note, not a find.

I'd log a find on a cache I own only if I log it prior to adopting it from someone else. I usually visit a site a few times before I submit a cache (I can afford to - only 4 hides, and 1 rejected due to proximity). I don't consider that a find.

Edited by Chrysalides

You might set a precedent here in that this forum thread will have 100% agreement.

You should never log a find on a cache that you hid. You cannot find a cache that you know were it is. The only time I would have a find on a cache that I own is if I found it before adopting it.

The one thing you might get some disagreement on is logging two finds on a cache that moved. Like Chrysalides I would not log multiple finds on it but some cachers may.

I am in agreement with Chrysalides and webscouter. I have only logged a find on a cache I have adopted and only logged it once.

When you hide a cache, no matter how you do it, you need to go to the posted coordinates to place the cache. How can you find something you put there? <_< We all go to an area to confirm the coordinates before placing and posting the cache. Sometimes, you may need to go back several times to confirm coordinates or even move the cache because of conflict.

You usually post a note whenever you go back to a cache that you have already found and the same goes for your own caches unless you are posting maintenance log.

You can do whatever you are comfortable with, but people who log finds on caches they hid also need to be comfortable with the snickers directed at them by other geocachers. It's generally considered to be poor form.

BTW all cache hiders do GPS work at the cache site - or at least should.

Logging My Own Cache in the Knowledge Books

This article speaks to physical caches. There is disagreement about logging attended on Event caches that you host. Some cachers do (I do) some cachers figure they've got "credit" on the owned side, so they don't also logged an attended for credit on the owned side. There's universal (nearly) tolerance for either practice.

You might log a Find on an owned cache that you have adopted, if you haven't found it prior to adoption. This has come up here in these forums, with most responders agreeing that you're logging a legit find in that case.

Some of my toughest hunts have been on my own caches. I admit, I was tempted to log a find once - and then archive the thing, because I was tired of how much it moved. Instead I changed containers, moved it and created a tether. It's been stationary since (wet, but stationary ;-) )

Our take on it would be simply, one-find-per.

In the case of an adopted cache, if not previously found and you want the "find" upon adopting it, yes!

If you had already found it, nope!

If you hid it, we can't fathom claiming a find. No matter if it migrated or not -- THAT is maintenance.

A little torn in your first case of the second find. It's still cache migration, but the same cache. Guess we would lean towards one cache = one find.

In reference to using Google, then using GPSr: wouldn't that just be the required legwork to place a cache (assuming you want to do it that way)? We would vote no on this also.

As stated, it's your game, do what you feel is right.

Maybe if you really think it was a major challenge to find it the THIRD time. <_< Once in while a cache will get moved to a totally new spot and for some reason does not get a new GC#. I know I have one in my totals where this happened and the owner specifically invited prior finders to go out and find the new spot. My guess is those long distance moves (>528 ft) don't happen anymore.

For the Google map question I don't see any way to justify a find there. If it could be justified however, I guess I could double my numbers overnight. :unsure:

Edited by edscott

Thanks for the input folks. Looks like I will Not be logging any found it logs after all. It may be my game, but I still want to stay within the proper protocol.

I thought my hiding method was different, but I have been proven wrong on that too. Guess that's what I get for being a newer cache owner as opposed to just a cache finder.... I get to learn more about the game and the methods other folks are using too! <_<

I'm glad I finally asked the question. Now I know the answer. Thanks again.

I can think of an exception where I think it would be acceptable for one to log a find on their own cache, and that is a Challenge cache. Some come in the form where you have to find the 81 different D/T combos (Fizzy Challenges), or where you have to find the oldest 25 traditionals or multis or mysteries etc. in a state or province (Bingo Challenges).

But hey, that's just me.

I now leave this question up to you folks before I make any log entries into my caches. In Advance, Thanks for your inputs. :)

It's up to you what you do. It's not normal or common practice to log own geocaches, with the exception of own events. But those ones aren't found, you attend.

If you want, you can log all my geocaches as well. That will help with your stats too.

Geocaching is no competition, the numbers are just for you to know what you found and maintaining the stats can be fun.

To put it in a nutshell, do whatever you think is right!

GermanSailor

Perhaps it is time to close the thread before it becomes an OP bashing session? OP has received the response he needed and has acknowledged the replies in post #9. I'll leave the decision to the OP - it is his thread, after all. To do so, just click on "report" and ask a mod if they can close it for you.