Have you lost anything while caching?

DodgeExplorer

Granola bar ... I didn't realize one of the compartments on my backpack was not closed. I was crossing a log that was spanning a creek. I hear this "Bloop" and look down just in time to see my snack take off down stream :laughing:

I tried to recover it, but it was moving too quickly, and I was in danger of losing my paper money which was in the same compartment.

Needless to say I am more diligent with my pack now.

Wow, where to begin?

• I lost a Fenix flashlight (one of the tiny ones) when it fell out of my caching bag. Eventually found it after half an hour of digging in the groundcover.
  • I've lost my cell phone, twice. The first time, it somehow fell off my belt near a cache site. I didn't realize it was gone till I got back home; I had to drive back to the area, then hike a couple of miles to find it, which I did just before it became too dark to look for it. The second time, I lost it somewhere on the trails on a full day of hiking and caching. I never did find it, and after a couple of weeks I realized I didn't really need it and never replaced it.
  • I lost a pedometer about six months ago. Never did find it; my girlfriend got me a replacement for Christmas.
  • I've lost more pens than I can count.
  • I lost my glasses once hiking back from a high-terrain cache. I tripped over some roots, took a tumble, and the glasses went flying. Since I can't see worth a darn without them, and my spare pair was a mile away in the car, it took half of forever to find them.
  • I lost my Garmin Oregon 550t just last weekend. My geocaching partner and I were looking for a cache in the deep snow east of Pittsburgh, and the unit fell out of the coat pocket I'd stuffed it into. After spending most of an hour looking for it in the snow, my partner found it where I had dropped it and one or both of us had buried it by tromping around looking for it. I still owe her big time for coming up with it.

What are those cords called that parents use to attach a kid's mittens to their coat sleeves? I think I need to get a supply. :laughing:

--Larry

Wow, where to begin?

I am not alone! My wife sometimes wonders what I have not lost. Lets see, there was my wallet (found once by a cacher, once when I went back for it the next day), a gps unit somewhere in a thick strand of brush on a steep hill far from any trail (its still there if someone wants it), a watch (found by the next cacher), a cell phone (still there when I went back after starting to drive away), another cell phone that dropped from my pocket when I bent over a pool of murky water to look for a cache (retrieved it the next day with a net to rescue the sim card that my phone provider would not replace), and keys (fortunately they were retrieved before I made my wife drive out to rescue my daughter and I). The glasses that fly off in brush also makes for an interesting experience, but since I cannot go further without them, I do not count that as being lost.

Then there are various items that that a local cacher has come across after I dropped them -- generally off trail, which makes it somewhat interesting.

Now if anybody locally finds a translink card (for public transportation) . . . I don't think I dropped it while caching but I did go back to check. I blame it all on a lack of sensation function, to use the Jungian term.

Edited by Erickson

I've lost a few things.

While taking a new cacher to see an amazing view cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...dd-2001964932de

I dropped a new 2 meter radio off a railroad bridge into the mucky water. (this was back in 2002, and it was not even submersible. Needless to say, even after multiple attempts I could not revive it. . :D

But before that, I had taken another girlfriend (at the time) caching and she lost a nice diamond earring. I went back the next day and found it after looking for about an hour. Lost the "Girlfirend" soon there after :D But that was probably a good thing!

Was visiting this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...06-8f4f91f5c693

I dropped and broke a pair of prescription sunglasses.

My husband crawled through a culvert and lost his keys, but didn't know it. Luckily we were still standing there when a caching group came by and found them for him.

Also, our car got broken into once while caching and we lost our geobags, wallet, and camera to the jerk who took it all.

A couple weeks ago, on the first cache of the day, lost all my notes. Didn't realize until I'd hiked about a mile out of the trees...hiked back and by then the wind had carried a couple pages away. Otherwise, just my sanity the other day...lost it driving around the local mall looking for car TBs while I was waiting. Came to after the second row and finally parked it. Don't know what came over me...

Yep. One of the things I like most about some of the places that caches are hidden is the serenity of the area. So calm, peaceful,...and quiet.

I "lost" the tranquility of a place, and mysteriously turned the air a startling shade of blue at the same time. How?

Must've been when I crashed & burned on an icy slope and left a "nether-region" print on the ground....

:D

PDA (backtracked and found it, found cache)

Cel phone (backtracked next day, it had snowed, didn't find it, found cache)

several pair of cheaters, (never bothered to go back and look for a $12.00 item from the drug store)

Now all my geogear goes in my eagle creek mini pack behind zippers. The last thing I do before moving off to the next hide is to verify the zippers are ALL closed. The GPS is either in the bag ( hike out) in my hand(hunt mode) or around my neck on the lanyard (do business after find)

What are cheaters?

So far I haven't lost anything more than my frequent malaise and lethargy.

Has anyone seen it?

Hiking, biking, camping, now this kayaking thing. The older I gets the more active I does.

I have, in the course of caching, by hike and by bike, managed a few points of damage to my GPSr, but that's about all.

My wife and i are in our middle 80's and have walked off many times after finding a cache and leaving our treking poles that we use for balance. Usually don't realize it until we get to the next cache. We usually just use the adjustable ones we get at Walmart. Thank God we keep better track of our GPSs.

Lost a nice little Panasonic Lumix camera. It was an event so I was hoping someone else would find it but it was never returned.

Have left my hiking poles and sticks many times but always remembered close enough to go back. They are cheapies on purpose though so wouldn't walk too far back for one.

Friend dropped expensive prescription glasses and we looked/backtracked. She went back the next day and found them.

I want to know if the lost YakTrax were on your feet?

I was doing some night caching at an urban cache about an hour from home. A twig popped off my eyeglasses and I couldn't find them in the dark. Had to drive home without them and then come back the next day to recover them. Thankfully they were far enough off the bike path that nobody stepped on them or rolled over them. Oh and I found the cache itself on the return trip, so it wasn't all wasted. :-)

For those of you prone to losing your pens, check out the Inka, a nice keychain pen.. you can get them at those well known three-letter outdoor stores. I don't leave home without mine.