Have you lost anything while caching?

DodgeExplorer

We were out caching near a creek yesterday, I was trying out the blackberry for caching and it worked quite well, until we got back to the truck and realized oh no the blackberry was not with me, we backtracked the 200 feet to the creek and tried to phone the blackberry with another phone but it rang twice and then went to a voice message that said the phone was out of the service area. :rolleyes: We checked the creek for awhile but it was quite deep and flowing fast, my sister looks at me and says, at least you found the cache. :huh:

Lost my patience a few times. Lost a lot of time geocaching. As for physical items, I left a GPSr behind once, but fortunately it was still there when I went back to it. I lost about 5 pens so far. They never have a chance to run out of ink. I've also lost the lid of a container (dropped down a hole) and a nano cache. Both of them I replaced.

I have killed several PDAs. They don't float. I lost my brand new 60Cx in the woods. They had just come out when my Legend had died and we were going on a geocaching vacation so I had way overpaid for it so that I could have it in time for the trip. So there we were, searching among waist deep ferns for over an hour on the first day of the trip. When we found it I went to the nearest hardware store and bought some yellow duct tape. Never lost track of it again.

I lost my glasses once. I was in very thick brush just before sunset when a branch caught my glasses and flicked them off my face. In normal light I can't see 10 feet and in the fading light it was impossible. I didn't want to move in fear I'd step on them. I started searching with my hands close to me and then got on my hands and knees and increased the circle. After ten minutes I found them.

This past weekend doing a multi I lost ONE YakTrax. I never notice until I got back to the van. This multi took me in 3 directions, there was no way I was retracing my steps.

We were out caching near a creek yesterday, I was trying out the blackberry for caching and it worked quite well, until we got back to the truck and realized oh no the blackberry was not with me, we backtracked the 200 feet to the creek and tried to phone the blackberry with another phone but it rang twice and then went to a voice message that said the phone was out of the service area. <_< We checked the creek for awhile but it was quite deep and flowing fast, my sister looks at me and says, at least you found the cache. :unsure:

Yup. Dropped a cell phone off of an old abandoned railroad bridge, about 30 feet above the water. Heard something fall and clunk off some girders and splash. Checked my pockets, and saw that it was my cell phone. Better than my keys I suppose, as I was driving that day. Also, it was just a cheesy flip phone that was free with the family plan contract. I confiscated one of my daughters old ones, and used it for over a year. Now, I have a Palm smartphone, I'd be livid if I dropped that in the drink.

Oh yeah, I could see it on the bottom of the creek in about 2 feet of water. When my pardner called it, it went to voicemail. Edit to add, we did DNF the cache.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Lost my cell phone once. Thankfully someone in our group found it. Ever since then, I put it in the pack.

AND.... I've gotten lost in the beauty of the area we were hiking in. Now that kind of loss I don't mind at all.

OH!!!......... just thought of this too....

Sometimes I think I've lost my mind when we're going after some cache that is a wee bit tough to get to. <_<

I left a perfectly good hickory walking stick at a cache once. I left notes in the logs if someone finds it to let me know. I don't think anyone has found those yet, almost a year. A couple days later, in the same park, I left a perfectly good diamond willow stick at a cache. I found that one a few days later while mushroom hunting.

Briefly lost the 60CSX, but went back to the cache and found it right where I'd placed it to log the find.

Also managed to lose a whistle, magnesium fire starter, and Silva Ranger on a common lanyard while doing the bee dance for a cache that was 30m from GZ. I searched for over an hour for those and a couple of cachers also searched soon after, all to no avail.

Like several others, I have lost a pen: particularly my "lucky" caching pen (which apparently wasn't too lucky...). I had special ordered it just a few weeks before, and it was decorated with my favorite photo of my daughter and a special caption. I was kneeling and peering into a sewer grate (we call them "TMNT" caches in my area), and it slipped out of my pocket, and about ten feet out of my reach. I HATED losing that pen, but a caching buddy later gave me a pen with a carabiner attached to the end of it.

Lost Blackberry as well and drove 1/2 hr back to area and retraced GPSr track for 20 minutes to find it.

Lost GPSMAP60CX in a stream under the ice after it fell into an open pool at the base of a waterfall in March a few years back. The GPSr was returned 2-1/2 months later by a fellow cacher who found it under water just down stream from the waterfall...new batteries and it worked fine ever since.

PDA (backtracked and found it, found cache)

Cel phone (backtracked next day, it had snowed, didn't find it, found cache)

several pair of cheaters, (never bothered to go back and look for a $12.00 item from the drug store)

Now all my geogear goes in my eagle creek mini pack behind zippers. The last thing I do before moving off to the next hide is to verify the zippers are ALL closed. The GPS is either in the bag ( hike out) in my hand(hunt mode) or around my neck on the lanyard (do business after find)

I've lost too many things to count, but the good stories are where I get them back.

Lost my cell phone on the trail of a suburban cache. Got back to civilization and had my wife start calling the phone after about 10 minutes and played "marco polo" until I found it. Another suburban cache - lost prescription sunglasses at the cache site but didn't realize it until much later. Someone else posted a log on the cache that said they found them and would leave them right next to it - went out and got them the next day.

But the best was a pair of magnetic clip sunglasses I lost on a hike some 400 miles away in 2002. It was about 0.75 miles along on a 1 mile hike (I was with Hikenit, mtn-man and gpsfun).

cd895336-2f8b-4ecb-95da-b6772b8496bc.jpg

The red dot is where I lost the glasses. They slipped out of my pocket, but I didn't realize it at the time. How do I know exactly where I lost them? Four days after the hike, I got this e-mail:

...we logged a visit to the Tribute to Cumberland Trail cache on December 28th, after your visit to the cache on December 26th. We found a pair of sunglasses on the trail, somewhere after we crossed the suspension bridge and started up the hill, and before we got to the small cascade flowing down to the creek.

The glasses were clean and on top of the leaves and obviously recently lost. They have a dark pewter color frame, and small rectangular dark grey lenses. The frame is only the front bridge piece, without temples, and looks to be a magnetic insert for prescription glasses (or ???).

If the sunglasses belong to you or one of your group, or if you know anyone else (of the many hikers) who was on that trail recently, you can contact us by e-mail...Thanks.

They shipped them back to me. Aren't cacher's awesome?!?

I've lost too many things to count, but the good stories are where I get them back.

But the best was a pair of magnetic clip sunglasses I lost on a hike some 400 miles away in 2002. It was about 0.75 miles along on a 1 mile hike (I was with Hikenit, mtn-man and gpsfun).

cd895336-2f8b-4ecb-95da-b6772b8496bc.jpg

The red dot is where I lost the glasses. They slipped out of my pocket, but I didn't realize it at the time. How do I know exactly where I lost them? Four days after the hike, I got this e-mail:

...we logged a visit to the Tribute to Cumberland Trail cache on December 28th, after your visit to the cache on December 26th. We found a pair of sunglasses on the trail, somewhere after we crossed the suspension bridge and started up the hill, and before we got to the small cascade flowing down to the creek.

The glasses were clean and on top of the leaves and obviously recently lost. They have a dark pewter color frame, and small rectangular dark grey lenses. The frame is only the front bridge piece, without temples, and looks to be a magnetic insert for prescription glasses (or ???).

If the sunglasses belong to you or one of your group, or if you know anyone else (of the many hikers) who was on that trail recently, you can contact us by e-mail...Thanks.

They shipped them back to me. Aren't cacher's awesome?!?

Did ya give them a smiley?? <_<

Magellan Meridian Platinum. Found a micro in the end of a guardrail, carried it back to the hood of the truck to fill out the log, drove off with the GPS still on the hood after I replaced it. I hiked up the road 10 days later and found it 0.4 mi. up the road. It was face down and 2 of the buttons are messed up but it still works.

The first Magellan I lost is gone forever.

We lost our first GPSr, a Lowrance Map-n-Music. We were on the waterfront in Long Beach, CA and one of our kids put it on the bench where we were sitting and told the other kid to watch it. We got up and walked away for only a few minutes when I asked who had the GPSr. The kids pointed at each other, "He/she does!"

We ran back to the bench but it was gone. Never seen again. We got a Garmin Vista HCx quickly after that.

3 or maybe 4 pairs of glasses. Fortunately they were Costco readers at around $20 or so for 3 pairs.

I also left my hiking stick at a cache but another local caching couple found it. Since it has my name carved into it they contacted me and I got it back.

Edited by Thrak
Pens ... I'm always losing pens. Now I keep them in a special place.

What sort of special place?

Loaded question <_<

And possibly a loaded place.

At least no one steals them anymore. :unsure:

Actually, I purchased one of those from the Groundspeak shop that's attached to a carabiner. I attach it to a loop on my pack. I'm sure I'll find a way to lose it too.

I lost my old Magellan eXplorist 500 several times and found it again before finally leaving it on the roof of my car in North Carolina. <_<

We've lost a couple of toys while geocaching. My son loves Thomas the Tank Engine, but the wooden toys are $15 and up. I've bought some older ones second hand at garage sales and flea markets for $1 or $2 each, and I let him bring those when we go out.

We lost a GPSr after finding a cache. Our best guess is that I put it on the bed rail of the truck then went to talk to mother nature....got in the truck not thinking about the GPSr and left. Once we found it missing we went back to the spot and searched and searched.....nothing. Our name and address were on the start up screen..... <_<

Replaced it with a better unit.... :unsure: