Favourite cache events?

Simply Paul

For me, by FAR the best event ever was 2006 "shrops" event This was fabulous - almost a mega event, and sparked the first thoughts of the possibility of having a mega here in the UK.

We might have lost 6 tents and 2 gazeebos to the wind and rain, but we had a fabulous hog roast, themed dressing up night, midnight caching in costume (for some!! <_< ) and it was just amazing.

Ask anyone that was there about "windy shrops" and they'll agree - one of the best!!

Edited by HazelS

For me, by FAR the best event ever was 2006 "shrops" event This was fabulous - almost a mega event, and sparked the first thoughts of the possibility of having a mega here in the UK.

We might have lost 6 tents and 2 gazeebos to the wind and rain, but we had a fabulous hog roast, themed dressing up night, midnight caching in costume (for some!! <_< ) and it was just amazing.

Ask anyone that was there about "windy shrops" and they'll agree - one of the best!!

Shrops 2006? wasn't that the one where all the tents ended up halfway to England, with the wind?

Shrops 2006? wasn't that the one where all the tents ended up halfway to England, with the wind?

That's the one.... fab though, wasn't it!!!

Yes it was a great event, although I cached little, because I spent a whole day rescuing others tents and property from the wind. I really think I have never seen wind like that before!

We might have lost 6 tents and 2 gazeebos to the wind and rain, but we had a fabulous hog roast, themed dressing up night, midnight caching in costume (for some!! :) ) and it was just amazing.

Yes it was a great event, although I cached little, because I spent a whole day rescuing others tents and property from the wind. I really think I have never seen wind like that before!

Are you sure you did - I seem to remember me being the one on lookout for your tent, and how I was really upset cos it had ripped!!

For me, an 'Event' cache is sitting around for a couple of hours, chatting to like minded idiots about the virtues of hunting wild tupperware and the recuperative properties of the local 'brew'. So my favourites have to be the first few I ever attended in 2003. Paul Blitz's Late Christmas bash January, Chris & Maria's Southern Cache Bash in Epping Forest in April, The Northern Cache Bash at the Turk's Head in Alston in June and who could forget the glorious Sunday afternoon just one week later, sitting on the grass outside the Woolpack in Stoke Mandeville for Dan & Pid's 'do'. I really enjoyed event caches then and for a brief period of time, actually held the UK record for 'most attended' with a very modest 31 :lol:

Now, it seems, that unless there are fifty of more new caches place specially for the event (which if not actually contravening the wording of the law:- "In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches." it certainly contravenes the spirit of it.) then nobody will bother to turn up. I got totally pi**ed off with folks rushing into the pub (or where-ever) with a "Sorry, cant stop. Got a few more caches to find before we go home" and rushing out again. Then having the cheek to log the event as Attended :)

Yah... boo.... sucks... bring back the 'Good ol' days :huh::lol:

Now, it seems, that unless there are fifty of more new caches place specially for the event ...<snip> then nobody will bother to turn up.

I never set new caches for my events - not even my camping events. After all - afterwards I'd have a trek to mantain, badger some poor folk into adoption, or they become geo-litter.

If I go to a pub event, I tend to go to the event and not cache to be honest - I enjoy the social side!!!

If I go to a camping event, I cache all weekend during the day and enjoy the social side in the evening.

Hell, I remember one camping event where Pengy and Tigger, Little Miss Naughty and I drove all the way to the New Forest for a camping event and we never did one cache - we sat and drank tea and entertained other cachers all weekend - that was a great weekend!!

I suppose I can answer my own questions... :)

Assuming I can't vote for any of my own events, I'll give a few favourites:

Top CITO: GC1N7KF - Let's CITO Steep Holm by Icarus & Berrow Cachers from last summer. Put my first Mega in the shade, for me. Strange, historic little island which, as the mantra goes, "I wouldn't have discovered without geocaching"

Best sense of achievement: GCP18M - Ben Nevis - come climb with Coupar Angus! by Couparangus from way back in 2005. It inspired my own Ben Nevis event last year (which turned into three 'peaks challenge' events) and, having failed to get up Ben Nevis in 2003, gave me a great 'top of the world!' feeling. It was also just two days after I lost my father so it was great for giving me something to focus on.

GCG8M4 - Bucks Caching Pub Meet & Multi! by Dan because you never forget your first. It was June 2003, and I bought my first GPS here, for £40...

Memorable: GCYHBP - Hallow'een 3, The Last Minute Monster Marston Meet by Creepybug&Scarybird A man with a chainsaw in the woods, a night-time ride on an Argocat in pitch dark (I assume the driver had a light-amp headset..!) - who could ask for more?

GC1KA2X - Picnic In The Park by Lord Of The Cachers Great weather, great area, great to discover who LotC was at long last- just a Great Day Out in Windsor Great Park :lol:

I've lots of others I could include, like GC1AT6E From the Beyond to Penzance by KernowThrasher & KernewesLaura in June 2008, where I was a little hysterical, and GC1V6F1 Gorge yourself Picnic Event by UK Mega Event Committee last year, which involved a wonderful walk around the area and my first Shush-cache... The list goes on.