Cache Posted in '03 -- Possibility of a FTF!

buzzy_cacher

Check out the listing for the only cache in Nigeria, GCC65F. The cache has been attempted at once but never found. The owner hasn't logged on since '05. Wouldn't it be interesting if you could get a FTF out of it? How many other caches are there like this??

Yes, there are many older unfound caches. People have bookmark lists, which I'm sure someone else will post. I'm pretty sure 4.5lb Walleye in Ontario is currently the 2nd oldest unfound cache, by just a couple of days. There is a bookmark list on that page, but it doesn't appear to be by date or anything. And by the way, I've given up hope that Connie is ever going to find that cache. :rolleyes: Someone else is going to have to do it.

The box is colored green and white and contains, a writing pad, a fountain pen, 3 teddy bears, a can of candy, 2 Lagbaja audio CDs and other varied items.

Chances are the cache went missing or was destroyed a long time ago with that in there due to animals :huh::rolleyes:

Edited by Mini-Geek
I'm pretty sure 4.5lb Walleye in Ontario is currently the 2nd oldest unfound cache, by just a couple of days.

FWIW, I suspect that 4.5lb Walleye is a few weeks away from being archived.

Yup, those darned cache sweeps. I wonder when they will sweep the ocean, Antarctica, Africa and space station caches?

I didn't see in the guidelines that you had to check the cache every six months if there were no finds. That's going to chang a lot of caches status out there.

Check out the listing for the only cache in Nigeria, GCC65F. The cache has been attempted at once but never found. The owner hasn't logged on since '05. Wouldn't it be interesting if you could get a FTF out of it? How many other caches are there like this??

I was in Zambia a few years ago (close to the Zimbabwe border). There was a cache just over the border that had been in place for 2-3 years without a find. I found another one nearby (at Victoria Falls) but wasn't able to go the extra couple of miles (I was with a guide) to the area where the one without a find was located. Less than a week after I got home it was found, then archived a few days later. I was also in Ethiopia last year and was less than 1/4 mile from one of only 4 caches in that country but was unable to search for it.

From looking at the last log (in 2004) on the cache in Nigeria it looks like it's probably long gone. In about a month I'm going to be traveling to South Africa (near Johannesburg where there are quite a few caches) and then onto Tanzania. I'll be in a small town about 120 miles from Dar Es Salaam and will most likely have a day to visit Mikumi National park where there is a cache at it's entrance. In another thread there was a discussion about having at least 200 finds to be considered an active cache. When I checked to see how big an area around the cache at Mikumi was needed to get 200 finds I couldn't get a definitive answer. It only showed 119 caches in the PQ I ran, the furthest away at just under 1000 miles. Except for South Africa, caches are few and far between on that continent.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Some caches go a long time without being found.

This is the oldest cache in my area that's never been found: GC1DCB4

It was placed in 2008. I'm not going to go looking for it anytime soon. Or actually, ever. It appears from the description to be a blinkie tossed into a meadow. I'd wager the CO couldn't find it now, either.

Not sure if it is really there...The cacher owner never found a cache and this is the only log....Inside Joke I would say.....The rest of us just didn't get it...

I'm pretty sure 4.5lb Walleye in Ontario is currently the 2nd oldest unfound cache, by just a couple of days.

FWIW, I suspect that 4.5lb Walleye is a few weeks away from being archived.

Yup, those darned cache sweeps. I wonder when they will sweep the ocean, Antarctica, Africa and space station caches?

I didn't see in the guidelines that you had to check the cache every six months if there were no finds. That's going to chang a lot of caches status out there.

Actually, those notes by CacheDrone (not just on that cache) caused some angst, and a forum thread. I do not believe it will be archived, in my opinion.