is this a good deal?

fendermallot

Just saw the post. Be careful with eBay purchases for garmin products. Garmin will not warranty anything you buy from eBay. You will have to purchase insurance or deal with the seller if it goes bad.

Good luck.

Just to clarify, Garmin won't warranty any USED equipment purchased from eBay.

If you buy a factory-refurbished unit from an eBay dealer Garmin will honour the warranty on the refurbished unit.

...ken...

Just saw the post. Be careful with eBay purchases for garmin products. Garmin will not warranty anything you buy from eBay. You will have to purchase insurance or deal with the seller if it goes bad.

Good luck.

Just to clarify, Garmin won't warranty any USED equipment purchased from eBay.

If you buy a factory-refurbished unit from an eBay dealer Garmin will honour the warranty on the refurbished unit.

...ken...

from garmins website http://www8.garmin.com/support/warranty.html :

Online Auction Purchases: Products purchased through online auctions are not eligible for warranty coverage. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification. To obtain warranty service, an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

Hope you are right but when I looked at purchasing my 60csx I asked them about warranty info and they told me no warranty if I buy from eBay.

Edited for spelling

Edited by ao318

ao318,

Check this, please.

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/garmin-mobil....html#post24385

You might also wish to scroll back and take a quick look at the whole thread. Three people who posted in that thread purchased Mobile PC bundles containing Garmin factory refurbished GPS units. While there were some technical issues getting things working, none of them got anything but solid support from Garmin with their eBay-purchased units.

...ken...

ao318,

Check this, please.

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/garmin-mobil....html#post24385

You might also wish to scroll back and take a quick look at the whole thread. Three people who posted in that thread purchased Mobile PC bundles containing Garmin factory refurbished GPS units. While there were some technical issues getting things working, none of them got anything but solid support from Garmin with their eBay-purchased units.

...ken...

Ken,

I am not bashing refurbished units, I think they are of equal value as new and at a great price. In fact here is a link from an online seller selling the same unit. I am also not trying to argue with you about receiving support from Garmin, which you get with any Garmin purchased from anywhere. I have received support for a unit I bought from Craigslist, which was excellent.

I am talking about the "warranty" of the item when you purchase from ebay, but I did forget to mention one important thing about the ebay purchases and warranties. To be eligible for the warranty, not just the support, you will need an original receipt from the vendor. The purchase confirmation or anything that eBay gives you as a receipt will not work. You need a receipt with the name of the vendor on it and the price to be eligible for the warranty. If the seller does not provide this then you will not be eligible for the warranty.

Here are some links from Garmins FAQ confirming this:

Does the unit I purchased on EBAY have a warranty?

Can I purchase Garmin products from Ebay?

Does Garmin have authorized dealers selling on eBay?

Again, you need a "receipt" from the vendor to be eligible for the warranty. Some vendors will not send a true store receipt with the purchase unless you ask for it. Make sure you get a receipt, not just a copy of the purchase through ebay between you and the vendor.

Paul, ao318

Edited to add bold font and fix links

Edited by ao318

Having looked at the eBay listing it's not an auction, but an online eBay store and they list on their page that they are Garmin resellers and the units carry a 1 year warranty. This is not the same as buying from an eBay action, there is no bidding involved, just a buy it now price. The following quote from the listing pretty much sums it up:

Garmin Oregon 400t GPS. Garmin factory refurbished units come from the Garmin factory, like new, with a full one year Garmin factory warranty. We are an authorized dealer.