What do Reviewers and Moderators do?

shiltonpig

From time to time (and particularly recently) Reviewers and Moderators come under a certain amount of scrutiny and criticism. However it certainly appears that they spend a lot of time voluntarily to do this role.

So I was wondering as a "newbie" (please see my other post) to clearly understand the 2 roles, and what they have to do and how much time do they spend freely to do it. And how did they get to be in that role?

I am genuinely interested....

Reviewers have the job of reviewing cache submissions prior to publishing, they also look after archiving caches that are in breech of the regs etc. Reviewers tend to be local to the country they're reviewing caches for, the UK reviewers are all UK based cachers.

Moderators moderate this forum (and potentially other GC forums).

At one time the same individuals held both positions, but there was a bit of a kerfuffle a couple of years ago and the incumbents at the time decided they didn't want to be both reviewers and moderators, so now I think the roles are being done by different individuals. I think we're now being moderated from the USA, I don't think we have any UK mods any more (though I stand to be corrected).

Edited by MartyBartfast

There's a list of forum moderators given here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...mp;CODE=leaders. As there's no specific moderator listed for this forum, it looks like the job is handled by the Global Moderators (mtn-man & Miss Jenn are shown as the forum leaders).

But I've noticed a new reviewer name popping up recently - is there a list of reviewers anywhere, and the parts of the UK that they cover? It would be nice to be able to welcom new volunteers to such a vital job. (Mrs B's post just above mine, has answered my question just as I was asking it!! Now that's service!!!!!!) :rolleyes::huh:

Chris

Edited by Matthew 7:7 Too
Can I now ask why we don't have any UK moderators now at all please?

The Brutally honest answer. At one time the UK Reviewers used to Moderate the UK forum. On the resignation of one of them, I landed on my own covering both roles in the UK, a impossible workload normally. But due to the major angst in this forum, a nightmare.

Groundspeak brought in a UK Cacher to be the Forum Moderator, and I stepped back from moderating to being a back up to her. Due to a group of Small minded Individuals [and yes that is the only description for them] there was a concerted effort to force her out. This added to other issues, caused a situation, where she decided enough was enough. Having seen the way she had been treated, I decided that I was not prepared to step up and become the main Moderator for this forum. And take more of the flak that I had previously received. So asked to be removed as a Forum Moderator.

The result is that this forum is now Moderated by one of the Global Moderators and a Lackey.

Yes I know the above is going to upset some people, but as stated I'm being Brutally Honest.

As for becoming a Forum Moderator, they are invited to become one by Groundspeak.

As for Reviewers. As already described. We review all cache submissions, to insure that they meet the Guidelines, Local Guidelines and any Landowner Agreements. We deal with community members requests for help or information, also complaints. We are responsible for dealing with caches which have been Disabled for a extended time.

We are the recipient along with the cache owner of Needs Arching logs, and are responsible for actioning them.

We generally action Landowner complaints on behalf of Groundspeak, that's one of the downsides of being a Reviewer.

We receive thanks for doing the job from the community, but also flak from the community.

All of the above on a Volunteer Unpaid basis. The hours worked are entirely dependant on what we can put in. But over 2009, I was averaging 5-6 hours per day. 7 days a week, with Christmas day off :rolleyes: .

As to how you become a Reviewer?

The local Reviewers Decide the workload justifies bring on a new colleague. They then start the process of looking for suitable candidates. Once someone suitable is found they are then put through the following

First their name is sent to Groundspeak for a initial decision.

If Groundspeak give the ok, their name is then taken to the World Reviewer Community for their opinion. This is because the Reviewer community have to feel that they can trust this person, As some Reviewers are in the closet.

If the person passes this stage, they then go back to Groundspeak for a Final decision. Once given the OK the local Reviewer, will then approach the person and ask them to join the Reviewer Community.

Personally having asked 2 of my colleagues that question over the phone, I can tell you it is a Jaw droping question :P . As I'm sure I heard both their chins hit the floor :huh:

There's a list of forum moderators given here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...mp;CODE=leaders. As there's no specific moderator listed for this forum, it looks like the job is handled by the Global Moderators (mtn-man & Miss Jenn are shown as the forum leaders).

But I've noticed a new reviewer name popping up recently - is there a list of reviewers anywhere, and the parts of the UK that they cover? It would be nice to be able to welcom new volunteers to such a vital job. (Mrs B's post just above mine, could have answered my question just as I was asking it!! Now that's service !!!!!!)

Chris

As not many UK cachers visit the main forum, here is the list of UK Reviewers

Reviewer Name-Finder Name-Personal Name

Alba15--geoki--Carol

Chiastiolite--Von Horst--Helen

The Bee Keeper--sssss--Steve

Graculus--The Blorenges--Chris

Deceangi--Mancunian Pyrocacher--Dave

Antheia is currently in the closet, but will be out at the UK Mega in Perth Scotland.

geoawareUK is in the closet, but will be out at the UK Mega in Perth Scotland. As I believe there is a possibility of a Earthcache workshop.

The Reviewer for Ireland who works closely with us, and will hopefully be at the Mega is

Croaghan-Dino-Niall

If anyone is attending the UK Mega in Perth, there will be a Reviewer Q&A Workshop. I and hopefully a couple of my colleagues [instead of sitting at the back heckling :rolleyes: ] will happily answer all questions where possible.

Alternatively the now Traditional (someone else's description) Bun and Brew event will take place on the Monday after the Mega on the Mega Campsite.

Please feel free to say hi, we're all very approachable :huh: [in my case just as the N Wales and NW cachers, who pull my leg at events :P ]

The responsibility is shared out as follows, it's easier to provide a new list as I just have to copy and paste :)

Scotland North-Alba15

Scotland South-Alba15

North East England--Alba15 & Deceangi

North West England---Alba15 & Deceangi

Yorkshire and Humberside---Alba15 & Deceangi

East Midlands-Antheia

West Midlands-Chiastiolite

Eastern England-The Beekeper

London-The Bee Keeper

North Wales-Deceangi

South Wales-Chiastiolite

South West England- Graculus

Southern England- Graculus

South East England-Deceangi

Isle of Man-Deceangi

Malta-Deceangi

Gibraltar-Deceangi

Guernsey-Antheia

Jersey-Antheia

Deci

edited well you know why

Edited by Deceangi

All of the above on a Volunteer Unpaid basis. The hours worked are entirely dependant on what we can put in. But over 2009, I was averaging 5-6 hours per day. 7 days a week, with Christmas day off :rolleyes: .

How do you find the time? Plus isn't that too much workload for one person? :huh:

The Brutally honest answer. At one time the UK Reviewers used to Moderate the UK forum. On the resignation of one of them, I landed on my own covering both roles in the UK, a impossible workload normally. But due to the major angst in this forum, a nightmare.

Groundspeak brought in a UK Cacher to be the Forum Moderator, and I stepped back from moderating to being a back up to her. Due to a group of Small minded Individuals [and yes that is the only description for them] there was a concerted effort to force her out. This added to other issues, caused a situation, where she decided enough was enough. Having seen the way she had been treated, I decided that I was not prepared to step up and become the main Moderator for this forum. And take more of the flak that I had previously received. So asked to be removed as a Forum Moderator.

The result is that this forum is now Moderated by one of the Global Moderators and a Lackey.

Yes I know the above is going to upset some people, but as stated I'm being Brutally Honest.

As for becoming a Forum Moderator, they are invited to become one by Groundspeak.

As for Reviewers. As already described. We review all cache submissions, to insure that they meet the Guidelines, Local Guidelines and any Landowner Agreements. We deal with community members requests for help or information, also complaints. We are responsible for dealing with caches which have been Disabled for a extended time.

We are the recipient along with the cache owner of Needs Arching logs, and are responsible for actioning them.

We generally action Landowner complaints on behalf of Groundspeak, that's one of the downsides of being a Reviewer.

We receive thanks for doing the job from the community, but also flak from the community.

As to how you become a Reviewer?

The local Reviewers Decide the workload justifies bring on a new colleague. They then start the process of looking for suitable candidates. Once someone suitable is found they are then put through the following

First their name is sent to Groundspeak for a initial decision.

If Groundspeak give the ok, their name is then taken to the World Reviewer Community for their opinion. This is because the Reviewer community have to feel that they can trust this person, As some Reviewers are in the closet.

If the person passes this stage, they then go back to Groundspeak for a Final decision. Once given the OK the local Reviewer, will then approach the person and ask them to join the Reviewer Community.

Personally having asked 2 of my colleagues that question over the phone, I can tell you it is a Jaw droping question :P . As I'm sure I heard both their chins hit the floor :huh:

How dare you take Christmas Day off :)21.gif:D

I can vouch for the fact that the reviewers are human as I had the pleasure of meeting Graculus (Chris) at the top of a very wet and windy St Agnes Beacon on Boxing Day and of course the lovely Mrs B

Scotland North-Alba15

Scotland South-Alba15

East Midlands-Antheia

North Wales-Deceangi

South Wales-Chiastiolite

Isle of Man-Deceangi

Malta-Deceangi

Gibraltar-Deceangi

Guernsey-Antheia

Jersey-Antheia

The Bee Keeper--sssss--Steve has an easy job!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by goldpot
How do you find the time? Plus isn't that too much workload for one person? :rolleyes:

Totally dedicated to the job. Always on line, even when out on Bodmin Moor I have my laptop ready to publish caches.

7694a695-0ee8-4664-b2b8-5c3e813b08d9.jpg

Of course I have a full time day job too! But that just gets in the way :huh:

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer - geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resourcs site http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/

Scotland North-Alba15

Scotland South-Alba15

East Midlands-Antheia

North Wales-Deceangi

South Wales-Chiastiolite

Isle of Man-Deceangi

Malta-Deceangi

Gibraltar-Deceangi

Guernsey-Antheia

Jersey-Antheia

The Bee Keeper--sssss--Steve has an easy job!!! :lol:

I've edited the post :anicute::anicute::anicute::anicute::anicute: sorry Steve :anicute::anicute::anicute::anicute:

Boy, Deci has a much better contract than I do. I had to work Christmas. :ph34r:

2009 I had no caches for Christmas Day <_< , now 2008, I sat in a Freezing cold car on Christmas Eve, outside the nearest McD's to my parents house [we spend Christmas stopping there] using their free WIFI to publish a huge series. Did you know that when they close for the day, they turn off their free WIFI :yikes: .

I found out the hard way at 21:00 on the dot :unsure: , half way through publishing the series :yikes: . I finished of publishing the series on Boxing Day again outside the same McD's :huh: [my 3 dongle wouldn't make a connection until late afternoon Boxing day (presumably when the credit I'd put on it, on Christmas Eve went through)

As for having the Time, well I'm at Home all day. As I'm a carer for 3 members of my family. Reviewing keeps me sane :yikes: . Plus with 3 colleagues coming on during 2009, my workload went down a tad :D

Deci

How do you find the time? Plus isn't that too much workload for one person? <_<

Totally dedicated to the job. Always on line, even when out on Bodmin Moor I have my laptop ready to publish caches.

7694a695-0ee8-4664-b2b8-5c3e813b08d9.jpg

Of course I have a full time day job too! But that just gets in the way :unsure:

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer - geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resourcs site http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/

yet...

June 28, 2009 by Deceangi (5 found)

I see Mrs B's Hamster Cache Promotion Tour is working well

View This Log

The Bee Keeper--sssss--Steve has an easy job!!! :huh:

That is only because all my cache owners (especially goldpot) are all so wonderful that they have read and fully digested the gc.com and uk guidelines for all their cache submissions and are such jolly good eggs.

So I have very little to do. Oh and also because London is nearly full and the only space left is in the royal parks and that is a no go area. Easy :unsure:<_<

Seems that Alba15 has encroached on the SE caches.

But I'll let him off as my now archived cache states.....

N 51° 32.073 W 000° 12.466 Other Conversions

British Grid: TQ 24404 83265

NE NE 3.5km from your home coordinates

In Northern Scotland, United Kingdom

I'll mainly be wearing no pants tonight as a Southern Softy protest.

<_<

That is only because all my cache owners (especially goldpot) are all so wonderful that they have read and fully digested the gc.com and uk guidelines for all their cache submissions and are such jolly good eggs.

So I have very little to do. Oh and also because London is nearly full and the only space left is in the royal parks and that is a no go area. Easy :unsure:<_<

clicky

So not true!!! Lotsa space :D

So I have very little to do. Oh and also because London is nearly full and the only space left is in the royal parks and that is a no go area. Easy :lol::)

clicky

So not true!!! Lotsa space ;)

thats just cache promotion :lol: