At what point do you stop becoming a newbie?

shiltonpig

So in your opinion....after how long in terms of time? or after how many caches found? or after finding/hiding various types of caches do you stop becoming a newbie?

In your opinion?

We use the term quite a lot on this forum....so looking to see what the definition of a newbie is?

Just for fun....not a serious debate.... :rolleyes:

I dunno - hard one that. I guess in reality it's the day you truely get your cachers eye... the day you see a pile of stones or stickoflage and knowingly grin...

I guess mine was finely tuned at around 100 caches!!! However, for some, 100 can take months or years.

I dunno....... is the short answer!

Edited by HazelS

So in your opinion....after how long in terms of time? or after how many caches found? or after finding/hiding various types of caches do you stop becoming a newbie?

In your opinion?

We use the term quite a lot on this forum....so looking to see what the definition of a newbie is?

we'll let you know when you're ready noob. :huh:newbie.gif

In your opinion?

When you stop DNF'ing a cache that someone found only a day before! :huh:

I thought i had a pretty good cachers eye by now but .... errrm apparently not!

Yep! I might have 230+ caches but after only doing this for 8 months .... i'm still well and truely a newbie! :P

In your opinion?

we'll let you know when you're ready noob. :Pnewbie.gif

lol....

While youre working out whether Im still a noob or not, perhaps you can figure out whether Burton is East or West Midlands!!!! :huh:

In your opinion?

we'll let you know when you're ready noob. :Dnewbie.gif

lol....

While youre working out whether Im still a noob or not, perhaps you can figure out whether Burton is East or West Midlands!!!! :P

I am running for a local council seat as an independant, with a headline policy to re-unite anyone with a DE postcode back to it's rightful place in the East Midlands, and prevent them from having to mix with oiks from yam yam land. :):huh:

In your opinion?

When you stop DNF'ing a cache that someone found only a day before! :)

I thought i had a pretty good cachers eye by now but .... errrm apparently not!

Yep! I might have 230+ caches but after only doing this for 8 months .... i'm still well and truely a newbie! :(

What with all those Micros out their with your name on them :D you didn't earn your nick name for nothing :huh:

Oh and before I forget :yikes:

Happy Birthday, 50 today :D

And to answer the question, your no longer a newbie once you've become addicted :yikes: then you become classified as a nutter :D:P

Deci

ps: if anyone would like to know Tia's nick name. Have a look at the Publish logs on some of her latest caches :D:)

In your opinion?

Just for fun....not a serious debate.... <_<

You stop being a newbie when you get your first Micro Detector.

When the first step in planning a holiday is seeing what caches there are in the area... :P

Mark

Your still a newbie then ;) that should read your holidays are centred around cache events. The location and date of the events, dictating the location and dates of the holiday :)

Deci :lol:

Harrogate 2008

Weston 2009

Perth 2010 followed by GITG 2 weeks later :huh:

South Wales 2011

North West 2012

2013 waiting for some brave soles to come forward :lol:

Just for fun....not a serious debate.... :)

For me: After 50 found caches I kind of developed "geocaching-eyes". You just get a feeling for the kind of hide you might expect.

But one always learns new things. Geocachings is so versatile. I'm still a newbie to owning earthcaches or programming Wherigo caches. I consider myself a GSAK newbie and so on. Guess the learning process (aka being a newbie) never really stops.

GermanSailor

Edited by GermanSailor

I started back in February 2009 as a newbie, however there's still plenty of areas of geocaching where I'm still a newbie. After a month of geocaching, I was then a newbie at the local meet. I then became a newbie Premium member, a newbie with my first Earthcache find, and virtual cache find. And I'm still planning to hide a geocache sometime soon, so I'm a newbie at hiding, but as for finding, I'm just over the 200 mark now. I'm still a newbie on this forum though.

When you realise that throwing a film-pot in the hedge or under the ivy lacks imagination! :P

The hide may lack imagination, but they're bu**ers to find - whenever I see"IVY" in a clue I panic. :(

Bacas: "Roll on Easter ...... "

Not long now! Are you planning what we will raid? Still thinking about ways we could do London. :P

To recap so far....

So in order to stop being a newbie, you must tick the following boxes:

Take FTFs seriously

Have the cachers eye when you look at sticks

Have hit double figures

Imparted your knowledge to someone else

When you stop DNFing a cache that was found a day before

When you go to Tescos and can't stop buying tupperware

Have become addicted to geocaching

When 3 cacher generations have come before you

Hidden a cache yourself

When you plan your holiday based on caches in the area

Have found 1 of every kind of cache

Have been to an event

When you think a film cannister in a hedge lacks imagination

And can write without needing a decoder

6 out of 14 for me......verdict: still a newbie

Take FTFs seriously- Done that at 02:00, including dragging Daughter out of bed :yikes:

Have the cachers eye when you look at sticks-yes

Have hit double figures-yes even if I've got 50-100 finds not logged :yikes:

Imparted your knowledge to someone else-Daily :blink:

When you stop DNFing a cache that was found a day before-yes :anicute:

When you go to Tescos and can't stop buying tupperware-yes

Have become addicted to geocaching-uber addict-well I did say yes when asked to become a Reviewer :D

When 3 cacher generations have come before you-no but I've been caching since mid 2002 so does that count?

Hidden a cache yourself-yes [one took 6 months to obtain permission for, and I'd do it again]

When you plan your holiday based on caches in the area-yes 2008/2009/2010/2011/2012 :yikes:

Have found 1 of every kind of cache-Main stream including Grandfathered apart from Ape cache [but as there only 2 of them their not main stream]

Have been to an event-several including CITO & Mega B)

When you think a film cannister in a hedge lacks imagination-Unable to comment to keep partiality when Reviewing :yikes:

And can write without needing a decoder-used to be well practised B)

Well I score 12 positives, one possible. Just that 3 Generations stops me being from ever leaving the ranks of newcomer B) . But then again I can claim 3 generations within Geocaching before me :yikes::yikes::yikes:

First off Jeremy Reviewed caches, he brought on the first generation of Approvers [as Reviewers were known as originally]

After much arguments between these Approvers and UK Cachers about mentioning pubs and petitioning Jeremy. In 2002 the first UK Approvers were brought on, so we had Monz, Moss Trooper, Richard and Beth & Tim and June.

2003 and the UK Approvers resign on Mass, and Lactodorum and Eckington are brought on as UK Approvers. In 2005 they transition to Reviewers.

So now we are up to the Third Generation of UK Reviewers.

2006 they bring me on board as a Reviewer, so that makes me a Fourth Generation Reviewer B) , and the story of the generations continues :yikes:

2007 and the 3 of us are involved with Erik in bringing on Croaghan [as he now reviews caches in Ulster, which covers NI. He can be called a UK Reviewer :) ]

2008 and Lactodorum and Eckington resign, and I bring on Graculus and Alba15

2009 and the 3 of us bring on The Bee Keeper

Late 2009 the four of us bring on Chiastolite & Antheia

So the UK Reviewers are on to the seventh Generation B) Eight if you count in Croaghan

Deci

When you set caches and you get logs like these:

(The first two were on the bonus caches of two different series)

Your caches seem to have a mark of quality about them so I must return to try more at some point.

This series has been superb! If you enjoy caches with a good lengthy walk, tremendous views and a bit of a challenge, then this one is for you! There has been so much to make it memorable for us and it has to be included in our favourites.

This is part of a long log on a cache which is placed all by itself:

This was without doubt, our cache of the day and we had more fun than we have had for ages.

FORGET POWER TRAILS, JUST COME AND DO THIS ONE!

BRILLIANT BRILLIANT CACHE.

Makes it all worthwhile! :blink:

To recap so far....

So in order to stop being a newbie, you must tick the following boxes:

Take FTFs seriously

Have the cachers eye when you look at sticks

Have hit double figures

Imparted your knowledge to someone else

When you stop DNFing a cache that was found a day before

When you go to Tescos and can't stop buying tupperware

Have become addicted to geocaching

When 3 cacher generations have come before you

Hidden a cache yourself

When you plan your holiday based on caches in the area

Have found 1 of every kind of cache

Have been to an event

When you think a film cannister in a hedge lacks imagination

And can write without needing a decoder

6 out of 14 for me......verdict: still a newbie

12 out of 14 ... I'm getting there! <_<

I have just gone premium, and set up my first PQ. I have also - (even though I though FTF was not my thing when I started this game) set up notifications for local newly published caches.

I feel, that although my finds are not high yet, I am now beginning to leave noob status behind! That and the fact that in the near future I intend to get me a 60csx!

Its and addictive slippery slope this sport!