GPSr for 9 year old

FreeBird65

What is your primary unit and was is your price range? I have no experience with the Geomate JR but when my daughters wanted their own GPS I went with Garmin Venture CX's. I was able to load Topo and other maps on it and caches from GSAK when we would go out. They were 11 and 8 at the time.

I upgraded them to the Legend HCX because the Venture CX didn't have the Hi sensitivity receiver and I found a great deal on craigslist for them at $100.00 each. If I were to buy them new units today, I would probably buy them the Venture HC. They are around $100.00 to $130.00 and they have the high sensitivity receiver. You can also load a small amount of maps on them and load caches from GSAK.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ao318

My primary unit is a Delorme PN-40 and I like to have the MAP330 with me as it works better in tree cover. I'll investigate some of the other models suggested.

The PN-30 was for sale at REI for $165.00. I think if you find a store that still has them they are still at that price.

Hi!

I think he would like the Garmin Dakota. Small size, touchscreen <_<

Regards

AA

Yes, he probably would but the Dakotas are well over $200.00. A lot to spend for a kid when the Venture HC's are also small, can load maps, and can be found for just over $100.00.