Trashing out the nasty stuff... anyone know how?

When we were out doing our CITO event we did clean up a lot of litter but we ran into a bunch of things that we were not permitted to trash out. These things included computer monitors, refrigerators, tires and car batteries.

We found a program in Michigan for the disposal of tires because they are breeding grounds for the west nile carrying mosquito.

The other things are obviously dumped out in the woods because people have no cheap way to dispose of the items.

It was a little frustrating that we had to leave those things out in the woods.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

A good example at how states make it easier for people to dump things in the woods than take it to the dump where they can figure out what to do with it.

That's why we have dumps.

Alas I can't help you, but notice that piles of things like what you describe are more and more numerouse over time.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

There are ways to get ride of that stuff most towns now have recycling days where they take that kind of stuff.....believe me I'd rather thrash that out and hold on to it untill the next recycling day , then to find used condoms in the woods---now thats nasty!!!!

Every time i cache i say i need a second job, everytime i apply for a job i realize there will be no time to cache???

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

Check with your local trash contractors, they have a haz-mat program to keep such items out of the landfills. They will take just about anything short of nuclear waste. They usually only run the drop off once or twice a year, plan your CITO a tad before to minamize stockpiling this stuff too long. GOOD JOB PEOPLE.

WDP

Now that I've thought about this. The Division of Environmental Quality (or your own states version) does track dump sites for clean up. They may or may not get around to it, but a known dump site is monitored. It's worth reporting. Plus Natureboy is right. Most towns or dumps have free days for trash and toxics.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Speaking of nasty stuff, one thing that really bugs us is people leaving apparently used syringes/needles near--or even on--trails. We have run across this several times in the year (almost) that we have been geocaching. We would like to remove the offending item, but we also don't want to risk getting poked by it while removing it for disposal.

While the chances of contracting disease from a used needle left days ago in a forest or on a park trail may be slim, we're not comfortable just passing it by to risk a child or unsuspecting person stumble upon it. But we're also leary to pick it up. But we also don't want to just leave it there. Get our point?

We carry latex gloves in our geo-pack, but they certainly don't protect from a needle-stick. We ARE aware that such clean-up has its risks, yet we are torn.

Is there a medical professional reading this who has advice on how to remove used needles and temporarily store them until they can be properly disposed of (or who can refer me to such a document or website?) BTW, I have access to a bio-hazard container at work.

Sorry this is so heavy, but it's something I have been thinking about for quite some time now.

--laurak of dasein

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

[This message was edited by dasein on May 21, 2003 at 01:06 AM.]

Dasein,

I have worked in surgery for over 20 years and it is still a very dangerous thing to do. We now use blades and needles that we do not have to touch.

What we use to do was use clamps that could hold the needle/blade without us needing to come in contact with it.

I would suggest that you be VERY VERY VERY careful doing this. It can only take a scratch.

Maby you could mark the area and then report it to a park ranger?

Rick

RE: the dump site, the sad thing is that it's one of the sites the state is already monitoring. It's on their list of dump sites. :/

There are several programs in Michigan that have been developed as tire disposal programs that we've learned about. They seem to be county-only though. So you have to cart the tires to them, but hey.

The programs here were developed because the tires are a breeding ground for Mosquitos, which carry West Nile. It's been a problem in Michigan so they have decided to encourage the disposal of tires to help eliminate some breeding areas. Yay icon_smile.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

I recently moved into a new house and this generated a lot of trash. I went to the dump and placed as many recycle items as I could there. I then proceeded to the dump entrance with the small amount of remaining trash and was told it would cost me about $40 to go in and dump. I told them “no thanks” and dumped in the apartment complex dumpster near my home.

I hate finding piles of trash at the end of a dirt road, but now understand it better. I always assumed it was someone lazy, now I know it was someone being thrifty. As long as you have to pay outrageous fees to dump garbage this will be the reality. In states where dumps are taxpayer operated and there are little or no fees (if such states still exist) I would be willing to bet there is little dumping in the woods. If they were dumping in the Governor’s backyard, something would be done about it.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I recently moved into a new house and this generated a lot of trash. I went to the dump and placed as many recycle items as I could there. I then proceeded to the dump entrance with the small amount of remaining trash and was told it would cost me about $40 to go in and dump. I told them “no thanks” and dumped in the apartment complex dumpster near my home.

I __hate__ finding piles of trash at the end of a dirt road, but now understand it better. I always assumed it was someone lazy, now I know it was someone being thrifty. As long as you have to pay outrageous fees to dump garbage this will be the reality. In states where dumps are taxpayer operated and there are little or no fees (if such states still exist) I would be willing to bet there is little dumping in the woods. If they were dumping in the Governor’s backyard, something would be done about it.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Amen!

Fortunately here in Washington, the dump fees are quite reasonable. There is a minimum of $15 per load up to (I think) 1000 lbs.

I routinely see major illegal dumping in areas in this state which could have been easily handled and with less stress.

However, taken into consideration, illegally dumping a sofa or fridge isn't being thrifty, it's being cheap and dumb. Taxes go up and are diverted to handling this problem rather than to something more useful and in some cases has to be labled as a hazardous waste site and treated accordingly - which means more tax bucks to handle it.

Now... what's the three things that never go away?

Cost of living

Cost of death

Increased taxes

Cheers!

TL

I can easily understand why people dump refrigerators and such because here in NJ you have to hire an HVAC person to come and discharge the freon before the town will pick it up. Not to mention you have call the DPW and schedule a date to place it at the curb. If it is not been discharged they will not take it.

Kar

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

Speaking of nasty stuff, one thing that really bugs us is people leaving apparently used syringes/needles near--or even on--trails............

Is there a medical professional reading this who has advice on how to remove used needles and temporarily store them until they can be properly disposed of (or who can refer me to such a document or website?) BTW, I have access to a bio-hazard container at work.

Most cachers we know carry bottled water on the trails. carefully pick up the syringe and needle, use a multi tool, tweesers, pliers, gloves to provide the level of protection you feel comfortable with. Place the offending item in an empty water bottle, cap it and cart it.

Life is a gift, freely given for you to enjoy.

yes the pop bottle thing works for needles but you must remember that that bottle may be picked out of the trash for cash by kids and vagrants ect... please if you find such an item take it to where it can be disposed of as medical waste you can usualy inquire about this at your local hospital or clinic.

Hard in Easy Out [icon_biggrin.gif]

Hopefully someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I think most of the viruses you're concerned about (like HIV) will only live for a few hours outside of the body. I believe hepatitis is more hardy, however.

If you find syringes a lot when out collecting trash, consider carrying a bottle filled with bleach and drop them in that. That'll kill anything within seconds. Just don't drink out of accidentally.

You can buy a sharps container at almost all the local drug stores here and they are not expensive at all! To dispose of it, check to see if the local clinics or hospitals will take it for you!

The other thing that I really hate running into is the used condoms...not only gross but definitely a health hazard! I have even found some tied to a tree filled with what looked like urine! Told the parks people and all they said was they knew about the problem of people using the park for their bedroom but they couldn't do a thing about it unless they catch them in the act and call the police!

Darkmoon

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

quote:

Speaking of nasty stuff, one thing that really bugs us is people leaving apparently used syringes/needles near--or even on--trails.

Is there a medical professional reading this who has advice on how to remove used needles and temporarily store them until they can be properly disposed of (or who can refer me to such a document or website?)

Most hardware stores sell a little belt pouch that can hold a pair of needlenose pliers, I wear one in the "field" I also carry the GeoCan (See photo) which has a water tight cap. I usually want to leave the geocan at a cache for future use (it is stuffed with trash out bags) but I would not hestate to pick up a needle (with the pliers) and put it in the soda can for later disposal.

Same thing for used condoms found on the trail.

Barrier gloves ( reinforced for penetration protection, used by police when searching a suspect) are available at most uniform shops that supply police and paramedic personnel, expensive, and not normally needed, but if you FREQUENTLY find this is a problem, then perhaps a pair in your carry bag would be good.

A hard type eyeglasses case would also work until you get to place for properdisposal, and of course burial may be an option.

geocan.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

Give the pile a name, post the coordinates here, and someone will take it and leave a McToy in trade.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

rotflmao... lets try that and see if it works!

Speaking of ways to get rid of needels. I am a psychiatric social worker so not a nurse or whatever would be more helpful but you can get "sharps" containers. I work in the medical setting and if you ask for them (allergy shots and diabetic needles are good examples of when you would want to have these) you can probably get them from a medical supply company OR from a medical professional. A lab tech that visits our center gave my coworker one to dispose of her hormone shots in. Just an idea... the containers are red with biohazzard labels and you can take it back to where you got it (from the professional or a medical supply/waste company).

Beth half of Destrees of Texas

I have just this week started putting heavy weight rubber gloves in some caches, if anyone needs one on site, it is there.

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

~~

Geo-cach-er, n. generally a highy technically competent person with lots of free time. (see also- "Unemployed", Computer administrator, aircraft technician- defense worker- dot-com executive- systems administrator, et.al)

quote:
car batteries.

The other things are obviously dumped out in the woods because people have no cheap way to dispose of the items.

Check with auto parts stores and repair shops - they may accept the batteries for disposal, or be able to tell you where to take them. (On a side note, what is wrong with people? I buy a battery, I take the old one back to the store. I get 5 bucks. Is there some kind of car battery black market that makes disposal problematic?)

There are a number of places that take computer monitors for recycling/disposal. Try googling for computer recycling disposal, and weed out the groups that only take working or repairable equipment.

As for the refrigerators, you might want to contact the local sanitation department and ask. I'm sure they have some information available. They might even be able to identify local groups that take the computer equipment as well.

Put that fweakin' sandwich down!

I know Home Depot or Lowes will accept discharged batteries for disposal but I don't know if that also covers car batteries since they don't sell them (at least here in FL). They took my rechargable drill battery without question.

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

quote:

Speaking of nasty stuff, one thing that really bugs us is people leaving apparently used syringes/needles near--or even on--trails. We have run across this several times in the year (almost) that we have been geocaching. We would like to remove the offending item, but we also don't want to risk getting poked by it while removing it for disposal.

Bring wine corks with you, pick up the syringes, and jab the needle completely into the cork and then break it off. Dispose of the punger and needle cork at the gate garbage.

The needle in the cork thing I've seen used before. The drawback is the needle is not very secure in the cork and can slip out. Wouldn't recommend cutting the syringe (that comes from OSHA regulations)

Coke bottle OK, Chlorox bottles a bit thicker, but not foolproof. Screwtop Nalgene bottle would probably be thick enough. If it's just the little diabetic syringes you're talking about the first two will probably work. If it's a standard needle in the 25 gauge or larger, then you risk having the container punctured in transit.

Not very realistic carrying Sharps Container around for a couple of reasons. There's no way to temporarily close any of the containers I work with. They are designed to close once and lock down. And they're extrememly bulky.

Throwing needles in trash a pretty big NO NO! OSHA regulations on the personal disposal of needles is not addressed directly (they only pertain to medical offices/hospitals etc). My buddies at our local biomedical waste hauler tell me though, there'd be heck to pay if a garbage collector got a needle stick.

On the issue of how long virus's and the like survive in the environment: my take on it is I don't know how long the syringe/needle has been sitting there and besides, there's stuff in everyday dirt that can kill ya (i.e. tetanus). The bottom line: Universal Precautions when collecting any kind of trash.

quote:
Originally posted by Bo Peep & The Sheep:

I have just this week started putting heavy weight rubber gloves in some caches, if anyone needs one on site, it is there.

http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/gc/geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

Great ideas everyone. I use needle nose pliars and an empty plastic coke bottle to pickup on the beach where I walk. Seal it with the cap and toss it in the trash in the past. Now I am worried about people getting it for the recycle program.

Bo Peep, you have me curious about the GeoCan??

More info, please??

See post: I have started a query to the Department of interior.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachers Association

www.ARK-MOGeocachers@yahoogroups.com

I read this thread again from the top and one question pops into my mind.

What kind of person wants their land cleaned up, but "does not permit" you to cart off the really ugly stuff like tires and car batteries? Do they LIKE having that stuff on the premises? icon_smile.gif

Scott

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

I do not understand what you mean.

I have found around here that is they(County,State and Federal Lands) will gladly haul off every thing you pick up.

I know that this is also what the Take Pride In America is all about.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

The reference was to "hazardous waste" like car batteries and tires, things the land fills will not accept, and computer monitors and transformers, which NO-one accepts for disposal.

Here in LA they have a city BLOCK of bad Monitors they don't know how to safely dispose of.

The EPA hasn't found an acceptable method, the problems being the chemicals inside.

People DUMP them because there is no legal way to dispose of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS is the PUBLIC face of Geocaching, when someone learns of the sport this is where they come to

learn more, what are YOU showing them?

http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

International Black Sheep Society of Genealogist

Thanks for the reply in the matter,

We do not have the problem with that here,

no one has a computer yet!!!!!!!

Maybe thats a blessing.

This will be something I will bring up in a discussion with Take Pride.

These are surely the matters we need to address,Not only what we can do for them,but what they can do for us.

We have a big problem with the Methamphetamine dumps here,They are now cooking on the Lakes where they have a quick way to dispose of the evidence.

What is the World Coming to?????????

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

quote:
Originally posted by Zaboombafoo33:

yes the pop bottle thing works for needles but you must remember that that bottle may be picked out of the trash for cash by kids and vagrants ect... please if you find such an item take it to where it can be disposed of as medical waste you can usualy inquire about this at your local hospital or clinic.

Hard in Easy Out [icon_biggrin.gif]

Actually there have been some studies to show that HIV can remain viable inside a syringe for 2-3 weeks. There are many such viruses/bacteria that can survive outside the body for extremely long periods of time and then reactivate when the conditions are right so be careful when handling anything of this nature. Generally your chances of contracting anything in this manner are slim unless you get fluid to fluid contact(ie. stuck, fluid on an open cut, etc) but its better to be safe than sorry.

Bleach is a good idea. It does kill most things but you still would want to limit handling needles and such even after they've been in bleach.

Also be careful when using plastic bottles. Many of the plastic bottles around today are fairly thin plastic in spots and needles can puncture them with a little force.

Also just some advice, if you do happen to get pricked by a needle or something similar go to a hospital or doctor right away and tell them what happened. They can start you on antivirals and such as a precaution that may save your life. The faster they start the better your chances.