Coin/TB Maintenance

fizzymagic

A recent newbie in my area has been pounding on cache owners whose caches are the last known locations for missing coins and TBs. This guy seems to think that it is a cache owner's responsibility to check up on his/her cache to make sure that any trackables listed as in it are actually there, and to mark them as missing if they are not.

Well, I personally don't care about trackables. The whole notion that it's my job to move somebody else's items around for their enjoyment leaves me cold. Unless I want to do somebody a favor, I ignore trackable items in caches and I ignore them in my own caches.

If somebody puts a trackable item in my cache, that is fine, but I am not going to make the trek up to a cache just to check on whether or not it's still there, and I certainly do not see it as my job as cache owner to keep track of other people's items for them.

Am I being unreasonable to object to the idea that the cache owner has responsibility for trackable items in his or her cache? Am I going to have to state on my cache pages that I would prefer people not to leave TBs or coins in my caches so I don't have to deal with whiny cachers who are upset that a trackable listed in one of my caches has gone missing?

I would not run out and do a trackable survey on my caches, but on the other hand if someone reports in their log that a trackable is missing and it has been a while since it was dropped in my cache I would mark it missing. That is not the death of a trackable, soon as someone discovers or retrieves it, it is now not missing. Note that this is without actually visiting the cache. The only time I went and checked a cache for a trackable was when a trackable owner was wondering about his trackable. The cache is not found very often and it was nine months since it was dropped and only a couple visits. So I did check for him. It was there and I moved it. Otherwise I don't bother. I move a lot of trackables, but I really don't compare the cache inventory to what is actually in the cache. Mostly because many times my information is a couple weeks old by the time I get to the cache.

But to answer the question, I think it is very unreasonable to expect you to do frequent physical inventory checks on your caches and keep things straight.

Edited by jholly

Am I being unreasonable to object to the idea that the cache owner has responsibility for trackable items in his or her cache? Am I going to have to state on my cache pages that I would prefer people not to leave TBs or coins in my caches so I don't have to deal with whiny cachers who are upset that a trackable listed in one of my caches has gone missing?

No, you are not being unreasonable. I would rather that people not leave trackables in my caches, but only because I've noticed on a few occasions that someone specifically visited (or revisited) the cache to steal it. I would say that your responsibility would only be to moving the trackable to "unknown" when a visiting cacher reports it as missing.

I would not visit one of my caches just to check on trackables. (Except, perhaps, My Front Yard. :rolleyes:)

However, if I'm doing maintenance, I usually note what (if any) TBs are there, and will mark any Missing (unknown location) that are listed on the cache page but not in the cache (unless there's a recent paper log noting their removal). Likewise, if several finders log that a TB is not in a cache, I will mark it Missing. I usually also log a note on the TB's page alerting the owner (who often doesn't know).

I view this as a simple courtesy and way of helping other cachers, just like replacing a logbook or CITOing contraband. (Caches are personal property, too.)

Correct TB info on my cache pages minimizes disappointed visitors hoping to find a particular TB, and TB owners sometimes don't know their TB has gone AWOL (unless someone has emailed them or posted a note on the TB page), only that it hasn't moved in a while.

Edited by hydnsek
Likewise, if several finders log that a TB is not in a cache, I will mark it Missing. I usually also log a note on the TB's page alerting the owner (who often doesn't know).

When you mark a TB missing, the system automatically generates a log and notifies the owner via email.

Am I being unreasonable to object to the idea that the cache owner has responsibility for trackable items in his or her cache?

It's not unreasonable to not want to take ownership of trackables but as the cache owner, you DO have the responsibility of keeping your cache inventory as accurate as possible. If a trackable is confirmed gone from your cache, you can and should mark it missing. It's just a few painless clicks.

It's not unreasonable to not want to take ownership of trackables but as the cache owner, you DO have the responsibility of keeping your cache inventory as accurate as possible. If a trackable is confirmed gone from your cache, you can and should mark it missing. It's just a few painless clicks.

I did not know that a cache owner is responsible for keeping the cache inventory as accurate as possible. Could you cite the guidelines for that?

While it would be nice if cache owners would mark trackables as missing (when they are sure that they are missing), I do not see a requirement for that. I had one in a cache that was muggled, and replaced. It would have been very nice if the CO had notified me, to be sure.

I would not visit one of my caches just to check on trackables. (Except, perhaps, My Front Yard. :rolleyes:)

However, if I'm doing maintenance, I usually note what (if any) TBs are there, and will mark any Missing (unknown location) that are listed on the cache page but not in the cache (unless there's a recent paper log noting their removal). Likewise, if several finders log that a TB is not in a cache, I will mark it Missing. I usually also log a note on the TB's page alerting the owner (who often doesn't know).

I view this as a simple courtesy and way of helping other cachers, just like replacing a logbook or CITOing contraband. (Caches are personal property, too.)

Correct TB info on my cache pages minimizes disappointed visitors hoping to find a particular TB, and TB owners sometimes don't know their TB has gone AWOL (unless someone has emailed them or posted a note on the TB page), only that it hasn't moved in a while.

Yes, this sums up my feelings, too.

MrsB

MrsB

Double ditto.

I don't expect or demand that COs keep accurate trackable inventory, but I sure do appreciate it when they do.

Likewise- I don't expect or demand that trackable owners move their own trackables to "unknown" when I tell them that it's missing from a cache that I find, but it's nice when they do.

Edited by Castle Mischief
Likewise, if several finders log that a TB is not in a cache, I will mark it Missing. I usually also log a note on the TB's page alerting the owner (who often doesn't know).

When you mark a TB missing, the system automatically generates a log and notifies the owner via email.

The note on the TB's page is redundant, as you point out, but it is a kind and more personal approach. I think most TB owners would appreciate the gesture.

I agree with this as well. It's easy to mark missing travelers as "missing", and doing so tidies the potential cludder and eliminates confusion on the cache's page. Now, as far as the other cacher getting on owners' cases about this issue... yah, that would rub me wrong also.

Am I being unreasonable to object to the idea that the cache owner has responsibility for trackable items in his or her cache?

I completely disagree. So if i start off with listing what I place i my cache, I am supposed to keep a running tab of what's in there? A, I supposed to visit my caches weekly to ensure that the inventory is in check?

If that is in the guidelines, I want to see it, then I will disable all my caches big enough for trinkets and TBs, because I frankly don't have the time or the want of ensuring an accurate inventory of what's in the cache.

As a CO I like to keep my cache page up to date as far as inventory of TBs/GCs go. That being said, I won't go and keep tabs on my cache unless someone asks me to check for them or I am doing routine maintenance.

A lot of COs aren't aware that they have the ability to mark travelers as missing from their cache. I don't think it is a requirement, but with the number of posts that show up here, "Why are the coins missing from the cache?!" with new-ish cachers out hunting for trackables and usually winding up disappointed, I consider it a courtesy to keep my cache pages correctly updated.

Your mileage regarding courtesy may vary.

I do not believe cache owners have a responsibility for trackables in their cache. That said... I do think they have a responsibility to the listing page. Notice I didn't mention the "rules" anywhere. Just like anything else we all need to be "responsible" in our seeking, hiding, and maintaining our caches.

Feel free to dismiss my opinion because I dont have any hidden yet. In my limited time caching I was dismayed by the number of caches in my area that had bugs or coins on the listing page inventory, that weren't in the cache itself. Quite a letdown.

I would like to think keeping your listing page updated would just be common courtesy to other cachers. But then, I think adding a logbook, taping up a broken container, ect... are common courtesies also. It is amazed the sentiment displayed when you mention this on the threads. You would think you asked someone to adopt your child, but let you keep the tax deduction.

I am not saying you should police your caches weekly or monthly, for missing items, but common sense would tell you after six or seven mentions of the missing item in the find log might indicate a problem. If anything, it seems like a small thing for a cache owner to mark it missing, and let the bug or coin Owner figure it out. (If you really don't want to fool with it.) I am assuming cache owners do read their online cache logs.

I am loving the hobby, and the caches themselves, but have to note the common courtesy I refer to is not highly regarded in this forum. Or perhaps I am only seeing the negative people posting. It is a game, and as such, I would think it was supposed to be fun.

I dont think anyone, including me, is trying to tell you how to manage your cache.(nor has the right to) I am just suggesting it would be a courteous thing to do. <_<

edit to add- I have recently done the thing the OP reffered to.(partly) I sent emails to the cache owners, and to the bug/coin owners to let them know their items were missing. I did not expect the cache owner to go check. I did expect him to realize me and six other people who logged before me had no reason to lie about it.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

When I visit a cache with trackables I generally "discover" the contents of the cache. Lets the bug owners know they're there. I had one cache i visited that contained a bug that wasn't on the inventory. I discovered the bug and the location was different. Noted on the bug log where i found it and got a very nice PM from the previous cacher who had moved it. Gave him/her a quick lesson on how to log bug moves and felt I'd done my geo good deed for the day. Not all missing bugs are gone, I've heard about gugs resurfacing 18 months from their last known location.

So if i start off with listing what I place i my cache, I am supposed to keep a running tab of what's in there? A, I supposed to visit my caches weekly to ensure that the inventory is in check?

Sorry for the confusion. When I said "cache inventory", I was referring to the Inventory box on right side of the page which lists the TBs/coins that show in the cache.

A recent newbie in my area has been pounding on cache owners whose caches are the last known locations for missing coins and TBs. This guy seems to think that it is a cache owner's responsibility to check up on his/her cache to make sure that any trackables listed as in it are actually there, and to mark them as missing if they are not.

Well, I personally don't care about trackables. The whole notion that it's my job to move somebody else's items around for their enjoyment leaves me cold. Unless I want to do somebody a favor, I ignore trackable items in caches and I ignore them in my own caches.

If somebody puts a trackable item in my cache, that is fine, but I am not going to make the trek up to a cache just to check on whether or not it's still there, and I certainly do not see it as my job as cache owner to keep track of other people's items for them.

Interesting that you're only about 40 miles from Vallejo. It's not just newbies that confuse trackables with Geocaching. TB that have sat in caches for long periods of time

I don't mind marking trackables as missing as a favor to the caching community. It's the attitude that I should do it from cachers who feel some kind of entitlement that annoys me.

We could do a whole thread on the entitlement thing, though... It seems rampant these days. And, unlike some of the complaints about cache quality, etc., I think this one is real.

Early geocachers were much more the do-it-yourself independent types. I've recently noticed a lot more cachers who feel entitled to have everything laid out for them (parking coords, warnings about hazards, detailed directions to the cache, etc.) than I used to.

a lot more cachers who feel entitled to have everything laid out for them (parking coords, warnings about hazards, detailed directions to the cache, etc.

Yeah, as much as I hate agreeing with anything that resembles, "it was better in the old days", I agree with this. There's more of everything in geocaching, of course - but the upswing of expectation/entitlement of cache seekers seems to be outpacing the general growth of caching.

OT, I try to pay attention when someone logs "TB not in cache". It's easy enough to mark it missing. And if it isn't missing, the mileage won't suffer. I'm not offering to go check.

I think a cache owner has certain level responsibility for everything in it. If someone reports something inappropriate in my cache it's up to me to remove it. As far as TBs and coins I think the CO responsibility is limited to keeping the traveler inventory as up to date as possible. I've made special trips to check on travelers at the request of TB and GC owners, but I look at that as more of a favor than a responsibility.

If I get a complaint from finder that the traveler is not in the cache I'm much less likely to make a special visit. What I usually do is shoot an e-mail to the last few finders to see if they recall seeing it, and if it appears to be gone I will mark it missing.

Edited by briansnat
I don't mind marking trackables as missing as a favor to the caching community. It's the attitude that I should do it from cachers who feel some kind of entitlement that annoys me.

We could do a whole thread on the entitlement thing, though... It seems rampant these days. And, unlike some of the complaints about cache quality, etc., I think this one is real.

Early geocachers were much more the do-it-yourself independent types. I've recently noticed a lot more cachers who feel entitled to have everything laid out for them (parking coords, warnings about hazards, detailed directions to the cache, etc.) than I used to.

I wasn't here "in the old days" so I cant really comment, but that "sense of entitlement" does seem to be running rampant.

I have noticed on the threads it exists on both sided, CO's and cache seekers.

I wouldn't expect anyone to run out "right now!!" because I couldn't find the cache so it must be missing!!!!

I wouldn't expect you to do the same if a bug or coin wasn't there. Someone may have retrieved it an hour ago.

I also wouldn't take it too well if you demanded I do cache maintenance for you, because I am already right there.

I agree, a favor is one thing, and I am all about helping out of courtesy, but don't start demanding!!! Funny Thing is, there are posters on this forum that get all twisted if you mention doing one of those "favors".

"You should have posted a SBA" So you get it from both sides.

If I do anything in the way of a "favor" I notify the CO, and let them know. Its between me and him. If he is not happy about it I am sure he will tell me, and I will know not to do it again.

I've noticed some people don't respond to an e-mail. I find that curious.

I think that the 'sense of entitlement' goes way beyond geocaching these days, and is a topic for a different forum altogether. As a small business owner for the past 15 years I am still amazed at some of the requests that the public makes of me and my staff. And it does seem to be a worsening trend.

OT-I'll agree with jholly and hydenseek, if a finders log mentions a trackable is MIA from my cache I will mark it as such as a courtesy to the following seekers who may be seeking caches because they contain trackables. But it certainly isn't a responsibility.

Edited by wimseyguy

I would not visit one of my caches just to check on trackables. (Except, perhaps, My Front Yard. :lol:)

MrsB

Double ditto.

I don't expect or demand that COs keep accurate trackable inventory, but I sure do appreciate it when they do.

Likewise- I don't expect or demand that trackable owners move their own trackables to "unknown" when I tell them that it's missing from a cache that I find, but it's nice when they do.

Me too.

I put out caches for people to enjoy...mostly. :) Since someone not finding a trackable in my cache that they expected to find there could reduce their enjoyment, then I will make some effort to keep the inventory accurate. Mind you, I'm not climbing any mountain to make sure if the item is there or not...I'll just rely on the finders reports and go from there.

I completely disagree. So if i start off with listing what I place i my cache, I am supposed to keep a running tab of what's in there? A, I supposed to visit my caches weekly to ensure that the inventory is in check?

If that is in the guidelines, I want to see it, then I will disable all my caches big enough for trinkets and TBs, because I frankly don't have the time or the want of ensuring an accurate inventory of what's in the cache.

No one is asking to maintain an inventory of everything in a Cache, nor is anyone being asked to go look in the Caches for missing bugs. If a Player informs a Cache owner that a trackable is indeed missing from their Cache(either from visiting the Ccahe, or from verifying that through online logs) , then there is at least a partial responsibility on the Cache Owner to remove the Traveler from the listing.

I get tired of the emails that say, "My TB or geocoin has been sitting in your cache for over two weeks, can you move it for me?"

Do you get many of those? I've never gotten one in my whole time playing.

What we're talking about here it...

"There's a trackable item listed in your Cache that three visitors have said was missing, can you remove it from the inventory so other players won't be expecting to find it there?"

I have recently been sending notes to owners of trackables that are missing AND to the owners of the caches they are listed in. The note goes like this:

Hi fellow geocacher,

Cache: GCXXXX (visit link)

Trackable: TBXXXX (visit link)

I am contacting you about the TravelBug/Geocoin above that has gone missing from the cache above. As the owner of either the trackable or the cache you can mark the item as missing. By marking the trackable as missing it will remove it from the cache inventory. If the trackable turns up at a later date the person who finds it can still register it with no problems. The Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter recently included a link to these instructions on how to mark a trackable missing: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=152

I am starting a project to see if I can help get the inventory of all the caches in the area corrected. I am sending this note to ask you for your help in this effort. If you have questions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

JoeSpaz

p.s. I am sorry if you got a similar note already, as of 2/12/10 I am keeping track of all the notes I send out so it shouldn't happen again.

My intention was not to require anyone to do anything. I was just trying to be informative. As someone who likes to deal with trackables, I of course would appreciate it if the inventory on the caches was accurate, but I never get bent out of shape if a trackable is missing.

I have come up with a systematic method of checking each cache in my area. I am hoping this will prevent duplicate emails about one cache or trackable. Some people that have multiple caches with missing trackables, or have missing trackables will get more then one email, but each email is specific to the item in question. If one cache has three missing items I send one email listing all the items to each geocacher involved. I hope this isn't seen as "pounding" cache owners, this is not my intention.

It seems to me that Geocaching is played by so many people in different ways that none of us can expect others to play our way. I hope we can find ways to play without getting too bent out of shape about how others play the game.

No, you are not being unreasonable. I would rather that people not leave trackables in my caches, but only because I've noticed on a few occasions that someone specifically visited (or revisited) the cache to steal it. I would say that your responsibility would only be to moving the trackable to "unknown" when a visiting cacher reports it as missing.

That's all anyone is being asked to do...Mark as missing the things that are missing.

trackables are personal property and the responsibility of whomever owns them. as a cache owner I have no responsibility to maintain someone's personal property.

But...The Cache is YOUR personal property, and you do have a responsibility to keep the listing description as accurate as reasonable, which includes things like updating the size listed if you change it, or updating the listed inventory of trackables if they are not really there.

I own a lot of trackables, and they were all created for the mutual enjoyment of both myself and all those who find them. Are there a lot of people who look upon trackables as some burden that's been thrust upon them by the owners, only for their own private enjoyment? I think there may be some players who are missing half the fun of this game.

I wonder if this email that I have been sending out comes across as telling people what they should do?

Hi fellow geocacher,

Cache: GCXXXX (visit link)

Trackable: TBXXXX (visit link)

I am contacting you about the TravelBug/Geocoin above that has gone missing from the cache above. As the owner of either the trackable or the cache you can mark the item as missing. By marking the trackable as missing it will remove it from the cache inventory. If the trackable turns up at a later date the person who finds it can still register it with no problems. The Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter recently included a link to these instructions on how to mark a trackable missing: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=152

I am starting a project to see if I can help get the inventory of all the caches in the area corrected. I am sending this note to ask you for your help in this effort. If you have questions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

JoeSpaz

p.s. I am sorry if you got a similar note already, as of 2/12/10 I am keeping track of all the notes I send out so it shouldn't happen again.

It has been suggested to me that I change the wording "can mark the item missing" to "have the ability to mark the item missing." Would that make my email sound less demanding?

As far as "do-it-yourself independent types" I thought that was exactly what I was doing. I decided to start checking ALL the caches nearest to my house in a systematic order to see if there were any missing trackables. When I find them I send an email to the cache owner and the trackable owner because those are the only two people that have the ability to remove the items from the trackable inventory. Each night I spend about an hour checking more and more caches in an effort to make the game more fun for those of us that DO appreciate this aspect of the game.

I get tired of the emails that say, "My TB or geocoin has been sitting in your cache for over two weeks, can you move it for me?"

I've gotten a number of these myself. Not enough to be bothersome, but I do wonder what makes someone expect a cache owner to take care of their traveler for them. I will do it as a courtesy sometimes, but some of these e-mails are worded as something they expect me to do, rather than a request.

I've gotten a number of these myself. Not enough to be bothersome, but I do wonder what makes someone expect a cache owner to take care of their traveler for them. I will do it as a courtesy sometimes, but some of these e-mails are worded as something they expect me to do, rather than a request.

I agree, I have heard a few old horror stories of Bug Owners thinking that the Cache Owner was responsible to move bugs, but that's different from asking things to be marked missing. Haha, Just after New Years, I contacted a few Holders of my trackables who hadn't dropped them in over a year, but I tend to not worry about it. I send travelers out for me AND them(you) to enjoy, so some will just enjoy them longer than others.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I found out about this thread after I had started a forum thread to get other peoples opinions about my recent actions. The outcome of my thread was a suggestion for me to send the the following note instead of my old one. Hopefully this note will seem less bossy and official:

Hi,

I am JoeSpaz and I was looking for Travel Bugs and Geocoins to move along today. It seemed that the trackable(s) listed below were missing from the cache that they are listed in.

TBXXXX (visit link)

GCYYYY (visit link)

Just to let you know, if you wish there is an easy way to mark the trackable as missing. Just go to http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=152 and follow the instructions.

I'm trying to let people know how to mark trackables as missing so that cachers won't be disappointed when they go to find trackables and there aren't any. If you got this email before, I'm sorry. I wasn't keeping track of the emails I sent but now I am.

Thanks

Joespaz

I hope this note would solve the problem mentioned by the OP.

That is I think the way to go. There are many things that are very helpful to everyone, like when someone posts that a cache is damaged and needs fixed, or that they looked and DNFed the cache. I see marking TB as 'location unknown' is pretty similar, nothing really forcing you to help correct the TB location, but just a nice thing to do.

Hi,

I am JoeSpaz and I was looking for Travel Bugs and Geocoins to move along today. It seemed that the trackable(s) listed below were missing from the cache that they are listed in.

TBXXXX (visit link)

GCYYYY (visit link)

Just to let you know, if you wish there is an easy way to mark the trackable as missing. Just go to http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=152 and follow the instructions.

I'm trying to let people know how to mark trackables as missing so that cachers won't be disappointed when they go to find trackables and there aren't any. If you got this email before, I'm sorry. I wasn't keeping track of the emails I sent but now I am.

Thanks

Joespaz

I hope this note would solve the problem mentioned by the OP.

If you are really driven to send these emails, which it seems you are, I would not advertise your mission. It's that last paragraph that would raise my hackles a little if I received your email because it makes me quite aware that you have an agenda and you feel that I'm not performing to your standards. Therefore, I would delete that paragraph. Then, I think that the email would have the feel that you are looking for.

Would it be possible to convince you to not make this effort so much of a mission? Why not just enjoy your usual caching travels and make note of missing trackables as you go? Your statement that you have put into place a "systematic method of checking each cache in my area" seems a bit obsessive to me. I don't think that this issue is that important.

The cache owner has the ultimate responsibilty to maintain his cache, rather it being a maintenance log or a trackable not inside reported the cache owner should take that responsibility to maintain his or her cache.

" Nothing is more aggrivating than hiking into a cache expecting to find something thats been removed and not logged " a simple removal by the TBO would be appropriate but if they don't respond to their own property then its us as the CO to remove it from the inventory.

Just my 2 cents worth

a simple removal by the TBO would be appropriate but if they don't respond to their own property then its us as the CO to remove it from the inventory.

It seems that most notes I see that mention a Trackable being absent are posted to the Cache page, and never make it to the Travelers page. A CO might receive a few to several of these notes, and the TBO may never receive one.

a simple removal by the TBO would be appropriate but if they don't respond to their own property then its us as the CO to remove it from the inventory.

It seems that most notes I see that mention a Trackable being absent are posted to the Cache page, and never make it to the Travelers page. A CO might receive a few to several of these notes, and the TBO may never receive one.

Yes, the first responsibility should lie with the TB owner. It seems most appropriate to notify that person rather than the owner of the cache. In my experience, though, it doesn't generally make a difference. The best advice I can give people who are disappointed to not find the traveler they hoped to find in the cache is just don't expect the traveler to be there. Then, it is a happy surprise if it is, and not finding it will merely cause you to shrug.

I did not know that a cache owner is responsible for keeping the cache inventory as accurate as possible. Could you cite the guidelines for that?

While it would be nice if cache owners would mark trackables as missing (when they are sure that they are missing), I do not see a requirement for that. I had one in a cache that was muggled, and replaced. It would have been very nice if the CO had notified me, to be sure.

Since you asked... <_< This was quoted from the Guidelines on "Caches that Need Maintenance". I don't know that it is a direct part of the Guideline, but it is Groundspeak that wrote this and added it to the page. The Liberals among us will be quick to point out this does not apply, so take it with a grain of salt. I am just passing on what I read!!! (don't shoot the messenger) ;) (bolding is mine)

Here are some important reminders for Cache Owners:

• Replace the container if the current one is not holding up in its environment.
  • Make sure that that your container is watertight and that the contents are free from debris.
  • If any of the cache contents are wet, dry them off or replace them.
  • Check that there is enough space left in your logbook for more entries.
  • If winter is approaching, make sure you include a pencil in your cache since the ink in pens can freeze.
  • If your cache will not be accessible due to seasonal weather conditions, note this on the cache page.
  • Verify the Trackable Items that are listed in your cache. Those that are listed in the online inventory but are no longer physically in the cache can be marked as "missing" by using the appropriate link on the Trackable Item's page.

I agree with most of the consensus. The CO is not required to update TB inventory, but as a courtesy, they should when doing cache maintenance. However, I think that for TB Hotel type caches, they do take on more responsiblity for keeping the trackables inventory up-to-date.

Maybe if it was easier for cachers to update information on trackables, some of these requests would go away. It's easy to drop a trackable in a cache when logging a visit, but it requires multiple steps to retrieve or discover a trackable. If Groundspeak were to add a discovery and retrieval capability to the Log your visit page, do you think it would cut down on the requests to check a cache?

I know one of the reasons I don't log discoveries on trackable is they take time. Being able to do this while logging the cache visit would make the process quicker.