Replacing someone else's cache

Mobcacher

Is Replacing someones cache that you cant find proper edict ? Even it it has DNF logs ? I replaced one onetime that I was sure was gone i could see the spot in the tree were someone used a fake branch (hint).. I will replace a log if its in bad shape or a cache container ie 35mm . But to just replace one and log a find i don't like doing it . YOUR Thoughts ?

My husband and I carry supplies to maintain caches, logs, tape, baggies, etc. I can see replacing the whole container if it is in bad shape and you had something similar. However, throwing down a cache can lead to duplicates. I believe the better way to handle it would be to contact the CO and if nothing happens you can't make progress that way and you are sure it is missing post a needs maintenance or needs archived not.

Edited by apyro

That's a pretty tough question that has been hashed over here a great many times. Generally... no. You didn't find it, so you don't really know if it is missing. You might think that you know where it is supposed to be, but there is no way for you to know that for sure. One of our local cache hiders is well known for putting his caches near, but not at, a very obvious spot. You quickly spot the huge hollow stump, for example, but there's nothing in it. It would be very easy to say that you knew that it was missing. But instead, the cache is hidden in a very non-obvious spot about ten feet from the stump. If you had assumed that it should have been in the obvious spot, and tossed down your own cache, there would now be two caches there. Not a good situation, right?

Now, if instead, you had found several pieces of obvious swag, maybe some pages from the log blowing in the breeze, and a Tupperware lid, that *might* be a situation where it would be OK to put a temporary cache down, clearly noted in your finder's log, and hopefully with either a Needs Maintenance log, or an email to the cache owner. Pictures of the damaged cache would be a big plus.

Do not place a cache if you can't find a cache. either log your dnf, log a needs maintanence, or log SBA as appropriate.

And I have no issue with placing an additional log in a cache if the original is full, but do not take the full log unless you are willing to go out of your way to return it to the owner. If you take it and don't return it to the owner, that, in my opinion, is theft.

Do not place a cache if you can't find a cache. either log your dnf, log a needs maintanence, or log SBA as appropriate.

And I have no issue with placing an additional log in a cache if the original is full, but do not take the full log unless you are willing to go out of your way to return it to the owner. If you take it and don't return it to the owner, that, in my opinion, is theft.

good points simpjkee

I replaced a log once because we had been having severe rains and when I found this cache the log was literally mush....It fell off in one huge glob and all the ink had been washed away. I spooled a fresh dry log on the spindle and alerted the owner....I don't believe I committed a "Theft".
Replacing a wet or a full log... yes. Good thing. I usually hang on to the old log for a while & email the cache owner about it, but never have they wanted the log returned. Its really just a courtesy. Replacing an entire cache, however, is a whole 'nuther thing. Edited by knowschad

Is Replacing someones cache that you cant find proper edict ? Even it it has DNF logs ? I replaced one onetime that I was sure was gone i could see the spot in the tree were someone used a fake branch (hint).. I will replace a log if its in bad shape or a cache container ie 35mm . But to just replace one and log a find i don't like doing it . YOUR Thoughts ?

Bad form, don't do it.

If you manage to find the cache and it needs some TLC that you can provide, then by all means give it.

How can you log a find on something you didn't find?

I have been caching for a week and have had to add log sheets to a log. Emailed the owner got no responce or thanks. Put a wet and mostley distroied log in a zip lock plus added a new log sheet in a zip lock. I left a note for the CO with what I have done plus the top was broken(wich caused the log to get wet in the first place) And have had no acknowledgment from ether CO. I know I would give a thanks to someone fixing my stuff.

If nothing else I guess I can know that I helped other cachers have a place to log there find.

Now I will step down from my soap box

Edited by Titus1919

I replaced a cache container once. Because I stepped on it in the tall grass, effectively discombooblating it.

I broke it, I replaced it! Was a upgrade at that, a nice new Lock & Lock for something that should've been in the recycling bin anyway.

Had it been in that shape when I arrived, it would have gotten the ol' blue cross symbol.

I replaced a cache container once. Because I stepped on it in the tall grass, effectively discombooblating it.

Huh?!? :D Are you telling us that you didn't log a Discombooblated Log first? :unsure: Please, don't ever discombooblate a cache without posting a discombooblated log, OK? I can probably understand and forgive you for your noobiness, but you have since been placed on notice, OK?

Pretty much always a bad idea. I've seen people replace a cache, then someone finds the real cache, that wasn't actually missing at all, causing a lot of confusion. And if the cache really is missing, and the owner hasn't done anything about it, you're just perpetuating the problem. Unless you're willing to fully take over maintenance, don't put one out. And if you are willing to do that - do it the right way: post a Needs Archive log, and wait for it to be dealt with. Either the owner will replace it (problem solved), or it will be archived and you can then put out your own cache, that you can maintain.

Huh?!? :D Are you telling us that you didn't log a Discombooblated Log first? :o Please, don't ever discombooblate a cache without posting a discombooblated log, OK? I can probably understand and forgive you for your noobiness, but you have since been placed on notice, OK?

It was in SD, so I didn't think it mattered. :D:rolleyes::unsure::rolleyes:

I have been caching for a week and have had to add log sheets to a log. Emailed the owner got no responce or thanks. Put a wet and mostley distroied log in a zip lock plus added a new log sheet in a zip lock. I left a note for the CO with what I have done plus the top was broken(wich caused the log to get wet in the first place) And have had no acknowledgment from ether CO. I know I would give a thanks to someone fixing my stuff.

If nothing else I guess I can know that I helped other cachers have a place to log there find.

Now I will step down from my soap box

Some owners you'll never hear from no matter how nicely worded your e-mail is. Others will be fast to give you a heartfelt thanks. You did the right thing, and the next cacher that finds it will appreciate the clean, dry log sheet, even if the owner doesn't seem to.

good points simpjkee

thanks! I do my best :rolleyes:

I replaced a log once because we had been having severe rains and when I found this cache the log was literally mush....It fell off in one huge glob and all the ink had been washed away. I spooled a fresh dry log on the spindle and alerted the owner....I don't believe I committed a "Theft".

If that was my log and you took it from me and wouldn't give it back to me. That is theft. I WILL want my log back regardless of it's condition. Please don't take my stuff.

Replacing a wet or a full log... yes. Good thing. I usually hang on to the old log for a while & email the cache owner about it, but never have they wanted the log returned. Its really just a courtesy. Replacing an entire cache, however, is a whole 'nuther thing.

If a cacher insists on taking a log. They owe it to the cache owner to offer it back to them as you do. I suppose I would be that one person who would go as far as to meet you or mail you a self addressed stamped envelope to get my log back.

The only time I replaced a cache without CO permission was when we (other cachers, all who had logged DNFs) could actually SEE the old container, but it was not reachable. Several had gone to great lengths to retrieve it with no luck. The CO was not logging in, and not answering e-mails. So a couple of us got together and put an almost identical container where it was supposed to be in the first place (there really was no mistaking it).

I have no idea if the CO has even checked in to this day! I should go check...

Pretty much always a bad idea. I've seen people replace a cache, then someone finds the real cache, that wasn't actually missing at all, causing a lot of confusion. And if the cache really is missing, and the owner hasn't done anything about it, you're just perpetuating the problem. Unless you're willing to fully take over maintenance, don't put one out. And if you are willing to do that - do it the right way: post a Needs Archive log, and wait for it to be dealt with. Either the owner will replace it (problem solved), or it will be archived and you can then put out your own cache, that you can maintain.

Thank You Prime !

The only time I replaced a cache without CO permission was when we (other cachers, all who had logged DNFs) could actually SEE the old container, but it was not reachable. Several had gone to great lengths to retrieve it with no luck. The CO was not logging in, and not answering e-mails. So a couple of us got together and put an almost identical container where it was supposed to be in the first place (there really was no mistaking it).

Thats a situation where, IMO, you should have done the 'right' thing and logged the SBA. If the cache owner is absent and you place a cache then eventually some future cachers are gunna be stuck trying to maintain or archive YOUR cache. I'd not only recommend checking YOUR cache, I'd go remove it, and log the SBA once and for all. Then after it is archived, if you want to place your cache there, go for it.

Thats a situation where, IMO, you should have done the 'right' thing and logged the SBA. If the cache owner is absent and you place a cache then eventually some future cachers are gunna be stuck trying to maintain or archive YOUR cache. I'd not only recommend checking YOUR cache, I'd go remove it, and log the SBA once and for all. Then after it is archived, if you want to place your cache there, go for it.

Agreed. Keeping a "trash cache" by an unresponsive owner is not the thing to do. Having it archived would allow an active and responsible placement put there.

My husband and I carry supplies to maintain caches, logs, tape, baggies, etc. I can see replacing the whole container if it is in bad shape and you had something similar. However, throwing down a cache can lead to duplicates. I believe the better way to handle it would be to contact the CO and if nothing happens you can't make progress that way and you are sure it is missing post a needs maintenance or needs archived not.

two of my hard ones[a 5/1.5 and 4.5/2] both had "throwdowns" they emailed me saying it was missing and they replaced it, I go out and check them and they're there as hid. now i can see if they FIND IT and it needs help to go ahead and replace it but if you can't find it and its a harder hide to just assume its gone and toss down another creates confusion.

two of my hard ones[a 5/1.5 and 4.5/2] both had "throwdowns" they emailed me saying it was missing and they replaced it, I go out and check them and they're there as hid. now i can see if they FIND IT and it needs help to go ahead and replace it but if you can't find it and its a harder hide to just assume its gone and toss down another creates confusion.

And I'd bet anything that they logged a Find on the caches they just put out. <_<

:lol:

If that was my log and you took it from me and wouldn't give it back to me. That is theft. I WILL want my log back regardless of it's condition. Please don't take my stuff.

Well,.....okay I guess I'd better go back to that nano cache, find what is now like a tiny glob of wet tissue paper, (with absolutely NO writing descernable) scrape it off the ground, pack it in a baggy and offer to mail it to the CO. Riiiight! :)

Now I totally understand about a full log needing to be returned, and even a water-damaged one if you can still read it....I would return those, but this had litterally become like wet kleenex.

I would never replace a "missing cache", but if something is found muggled and damaged we aren't allowed to help fix it?

<snip>

I would never replace a "missing cache", but if something is found muggled and damaged we aren't allowed to help fix it?

Well... yes, you are allowed. BUT, doing so just of your good will when the cache may have been as such for a long time because of an unresponsive CO isn't really a good idea. A NM or SBA would be in order so that the cache is properly maintained. If the CO won't maintain it, then the cache should be archived to allow a more responsive placement in that area.

If you don't post NM logs when appropriate, how do you (or others) know it will be maintained?

"Repairing" a leaky cache that has been leaky for 2-3 years makes no sense if the CO doesn't care.