Can I count this?

fendermallot

I do have a comment about the tree cache. There was a tree cache as part of a multi I was doing. The tree was 100 metres from the nearest trail. The cache was in the end of a branch you would have to shimmy your way out to. It was about 15 feet up.

After about an hour of searching I spotted it. There was no way I was going to get my 250lbs body up and out onto that branch. I emailed the CO and described the cache and explained that if I was out on the branch and it broke, that would be the end of that hide and with the remoteness of the hide, no one would hear me yell if I was injured. He obliged without any problems and gave me the final coords of the multi.

There is a group that does a "monkeying around" series. All of which you have to climb trees. I put them on my ignore list. It's not worth a smiley to hurt myself or the tree. There are enough other caches to keep me busy.

good lord, my simple question has turned into a train wreck.

Suggestion for future threads:

1. FTF, especially "cheaters"

2. Armchair loggers

3. People stealing / destroying geocaches deliberately (a.k.a. cache maggots)

I'm sure there's a few more but I haven't had my morning coffee.

It's like lighting a match in a dry forest :huh:

How about 4. Logging multiple attended logs for finding temporary caches at events? Then again, they've been beaten down to the point they only do it in Wisconsin and Ohio any more. :rolleyes:

I stopped keeping score. Very liberating. I find a cache I know it. I give the owner my thanks via the write note log option and add the cache to my ignore list. No "Does this count?" or "Can the CO delete that kind of log?".
While I respect your opinion, and the others that have stopped logging online, I sure wish that you would stop talking about it here. That is not a trend that I, and many others, would not like to see go mainstream. If it weren't for the online finders logs, many of us would stop placing caches.

He did say he gives the owner his thanks via the note log, which is what I do as well. It would be nice if TPTB offered an option to hide your find count, but until then, writing notes is the only way to log and not show the find count.

Why do you and GOF want to hide your find count?

I can't speak for GOF, but I find it a completely useless metric with ever increasing importance placed upon it.

I never said I wasn't logging online. I said I stopped keeping score. I also said in my first post that I use the write note option.

I think such a practice is one option for the OPs situation. No need to worry about what the CO is going to do to your log. You still know you found it. Without the score keeping the only thing that the CO is doing if he deletes a log is depriving those who read the page of that log.

He did say he gives the owner his thanks via the note log, which is what I do as well. It would be nice if TPTB offered an option to hide your find count, but until then, writing notes is the only way to log and not show the find count.

Those both honestly sounds like a cop-out. You're doing everything but logging it as a "Found" and instead as a "Note"?

Sounds like someone who got tired of the self-imposed competition, not tired of keeping score. If you're just doing it for yourself, there's absolutely no reason to log it as a note versus a found.

Can you give a little more insight? Were you part of a GC group that went wrong? Did you get jealous of the 2000+ people? Come on, share!

I log the note precisely for the reason Knowschad pointed out. The hider still deserves something for putting out the cache. Most hiders do enjoy hearing from people who have found their cache.

I'm not anti-social. If I were, then I probably would just find the caches and never say a word online.

There is a group that does a "monkeying around" series. All of which you have to climb trees. I put them on my ignore list. It's not worth a smiley to hurt myself or the tree. There are enough other caches to keep me busy.

Yeah, this one had Monkey in the title. I should have taken a picture of the tree, anyway it was hollow down the middle and it looks like it had been hit by lightning at one point. The only way to get up there was to throw yourself up into the first crook of the tree which was probably 5.5' off the ground then shimmy your way up the one branch. I stuck my 5y/o up into the first crook and he looked down and told me the tree was hollow in the middle and that was the end of our attempt. No way I'm going to risk him falling into the middle of a tree I can't even climb =P

The cache was like a 4.5D and 1T... easy to get to GZ, easy to find... getting to the cache is another story...

Yeah, this one had Monkey in the title. I should have taken a picture of the tree, anyway it was hollow down the middle and it looks like it had been hit by lightning at one point. The only way to get up there was to throw yourself up into the first crook of the tree which was probably 5.5' off the ground then shimmy your way up the one branch. I stuck my 5y/o up into the first crook and he looked down and told me the tree was hollow in the middle and that was the end of our attempt. No way I'm going to risk him falling into the middle of a tree I can't even climb =P

The cache was like a 4.5D and 1T... easy to get to GZ, easy to find... getting to the cache is another story...

1T is not the appropriate rating for a tree climbing cache.

I found a GC today, but for some reason neither my wife or I had a pen on us. Do I have to sign the log for it to count?

I also found another one, but as my wife and I are a tad tubby, we couldn't climb the 10-12' up into the tree to retrieve it. I figure that one doesn't count...

What are the hard and fast rules, or where can I find them, on being able to count a cache as found.

Rules?

You found it, but had no pen. Well, who really checks the paper logs? But, you are not in the log-book, so there is no proof that you were there. It's up to you. Is geocaching a fun hobby or a serious religion? Best thing is to contact the owner and tell the story.

You couldn't climb the tree. This one is actually easy. It's definitely not okay to log it as found. However one might argue if you log a DNF, a note or nothing at all. The point about caches which are hard to get to is, that there are some more challenging caches as well. "I have seen it from a distance." Isn't quite the idea behind geocaching.

GermanSailor

I found a GC today, but for some reason neither my wife or I had a pen on us. Do I have to sign the log for it to count?

I also found another one, but as my wife and I are a tad tubby, we couldn't climb the 10-12' up into the tree to retrieve it. I figure that one doesn't count...

What are the hard and fast rules, or where can I find them, on being able to count a cache as found.

Rules?

You found it, but had no pen. Well, who really checks the paper logs? But, you are not in the log-book, so there is no proof that you were there. It's up to you. Is geocaching a fun hobby or a serious religion? Best thing is to contact the owner and tell the story.

You couldn't climb the tree. This one is actually easy. It's definitely not okay to log it as found. However one might argue if you log a DNF, a note or nothing at all. The point about caches which are hard to get to is, that there are some more challenging caches as well. "I have seen it from a distance." Isn't quite the idea behind geocaching.

GermanSailor

Given that the 'tree cache' had a terrain rating of one, I'm not sure that I agree with you. The cache owner advertised that the cache could be easily reached from the ground. Given that it wasn't, I would argue that a smiley is appropriate.

Given that the 'tree cache' had a terrain rating of one, I'm not sure that I agree with you. The cache owner advertised that the cache could be easily reached from the ground. Given that it wasn't, I would argue that a smiley is appropriate.

I didn't read that the tree cache (3 - 3,5 meters in the air!) was listed a T1. But in that case, I would argue that a needs maintenance is the only proper log. Maybe even in addition to a "smiley" if you found it.

:rolleyes:

GermanSailor

1T is not the appropriate rating for a tree climbing cache.

oh yeah, I was way off... 2.5D 4.5T

Edited by fendermallot
I never said I wasn't logging online. I said I stopped keeping score. I also said in my first post that I use the write note option.

I think such a practice is one option for the OPs situation. No need to worry about what the CO is going to do to your log. You still know you found it. Without the score keeping the only thing that the CO is doing if he deletes a log is depriving those who read the page of that log.

Those both honestly sounds like a cop-out. You're doing everything but logging it as a "Found" and instead as a "Note"?

Sounds like someone who got tired of the self-imposed competition, not tired of keeping score. If you're just doing it for yourself, there's absolutely no reason to log it as a note versus a found.

Can you give a little more insight? Were you part of a GC group that went wrong? Did you get jealous of the 2000+ people? Come on, share!

You are welcome to think of it any way you want, no matter how wrong you are.

It's up to the Ccahe owner. Personally I'd log a find on the one with no pen(and would allow it as an owner), but not on the other one. Maybe you could go back with a kid to climb up and make the grab?

good lord, my simple question has turned into a train wreck.

You asked questions and I think they were answered appropriately. The conversion continued and thats the nature of discussion, which is what the forums are for. It's not a train wreck. I don't think anyone is yelling. And I'm positive that no one is yelling at you.

:rolleyes:

I stopped keeping score. Very liberating. I find a cache I know it. I give the owner my thanks via the write note log option and add the cache to my ignore list. No "Does this count?" or "Can the CO delete that kind of log?".
While I respect your opinion, and the others that have stopped logging online, I sure wish that you would stop talking about it here. That is not a trend that I, and many others, would not like to see go mainstream. If it weren't for the online finders logs, many of us would stop placing caches.

I can't speak for GOF, but I find it a completely useless metric with ever increasing importance placed upon it.

I know you think that, but why do want to hide it? If it's useless then who gives a crap who sees it? If others put importance on it, how does that impact you? I don't get how it being useless to you and peoples perception of it results in you wanting to go out of your way to hide it.

I know you think that, but why do want to hide it? If it's useless then who gives a crap who sees it? If others put importance on it, how does that impact you? I don't get how it being useless to you and peoples perception of it results in you wanting to go out of your way to hide it.

Nowhere have I ever tried to sway people to follow suit. I made a personal choice not to log mine but you are free to continue to do so.

** edited to add that I believe I have supported a previous proposal in the Website board for the opting out of showing find counts.

Edited by GeoBain

I know you think that, but I don't get how it being useless to you and peoples perception of it results in you wanting to go out of your way to hide it.

Nowhere have I ever tried to sway people to follow suit. I made a personal choice not to log mine but you are free to continue to do so.

I said nothing of you attempting to sway others. I'm curious....why do want to hide it? If it's useless then who gives a crap who sees it? If others put importance on it, how does that impact you? I don't get how it being useless to you and peoples perception of it results in you wanting to go out of your way to hide it.

I know you think that, but I don't get how it being useless to you and peoples perception of it results in you wanting to go out of your way to hide it.

I said nothing of you attempting to sway others. I'm curious....why do want to hide it? If it's useless then who gives a crap who sees it? If others put importance on it, how does that impact you? I don't get how it being useless to you and peoples perception of it results in you wanting to go out of your way to hide it.

I've already answered your question. Now whether you agree with it or not is up to you. I'm not trying to sway you either way.

I've already answered your question. Now whether you agree with it or not is up to you. I'm not trying to sway you either way.

I don't you have answered the question, but its all good. :rolleyes:

Reverse the question. Why do you care if we choose not to keep count?

The reason for logging their experience in a note rather than as a Found It log is because they find the competitive aspect of caching that is caused by the Found It count to be a distraction (or distasteful) and yet they still want to provide the feedback to the cache owner that is normally provided by the Found It note. Remember that geocaching did not always have a competitive atmosphere to it.

Who is making it competitive? As far as I know, that's an individual decision, isn't it? Just having a count of what you've done, for your own purposes, isn't competitive.

Is someone sending them e-mails every day saying they have more finds? Is someone knocking on their door when their find count isn't high enough? To people laugh at them in the street based on their find count?

At best, this is a self-imposed, inability to control their own competitiveness, which is just silly. At worst there's a great story behind why they find the need to "hide" their found/DNF count.

And they are effecting the find counts of the caches, which does have an impact on the perception of the cache (if people don't troll through to see 'oh, that note was a find'). For two people, that's minimal impact, but if it spreads, it's a problem.

If there's a valid reason, I'm certainly supportive of it. But they'd be better off staying away from the on-line logging all together, than logging notes versus finds.

I still almost laugh out loud thinking about what must be going through their heads!

I have to agree with you. I think the 'competitive' side to logging is totally self-imposed and ridding their profile of their finds is an "inability to control their own competitiveness". Kinda like an alcoholic who decides to trash all their booze and quit cold turkey. My only other guess is that they don't want to show their finds as a way to spite the people who do see it as competitive. Like "You think your find count is sooo important, well look at me, I don't even log finds so there!" I really can't think of or get any other logical answer regarding it. To each his own. :rolleyes:

However, I would appreciate a note to no log at all, because I do like to know as much as possible about anyone visiting my caches.

Reverse the question. Why do you care if we choose not to keep count?

I don't care since you are free to do whatever you like. I am incredibly curious though, since it is just so vastly different from how everyone else plays the game. And I can't think of why it makes sense to play the way you two do. I would like to know if you can tell me, but saying stuff like 'find counts are useless' or 'other people place importance on it' doesn't do anything to help me understand why you'd feel it necessary to go out of your way to hide your count. Its a misguided reaction.

Edited by simpjkee

It's like in The Shawshank Redemption when they are looking for something to get Andy and Red says: "The man likes to play chess......Let's get him some rocks". It makes no sense until it is explained that Andy can use the rocks to make chess pieces out of.

In this case you guys are saying, "Find count is useless and people put too much importance on it.....lets log some notes." How you went from the observation to the reaction is the part I'm clueless on.

Good. It wasn't all that sincere.

So. How's the weather where you are?

It's beautiful! Currently 72.8 degrees according to my outdoor thermometer and not a cloud in the sky! How is it where you are?

BTW, I love that you have a little will on your profile about adopting your caches when the time comes. That's awesome. I think maybe I should add something along those lines to my profile.

Edited by simpjkee

Cold and snowy out. But that's OK. I hope to go snowshoeing on Sunday.

I added that after the subject came up about the disposition of a persons caches in the event of their untimely demise. Sort of a sarcastic bit of humor but still true none the less. I don't think it will matter much to me after I am gone. Perhaps I'll add a clause prohibiting you from adopting them. :rolleyes::huh:

Cold and snowy out. But that's OK. I hope to go snowshoeing on Sunday.

I added that after the subject came up about the disposition of a persons caches in the event of their untimely demise. Sort of a sarcastic bit of humor but still true none the less. I don't think it will matter much to me after I am gone. Perhaps I'll add a clause prohibiting you from adopting them. :rolleyes::huh:

I'm a really good cache owner, but only because I place caches in spots where I am willing and able to maintain them. I wouldn't try to adopt a cache all the way across the US. Your caches are safe.......from me anyway. :P

Edited by simpjkee
I added that after the subject came up about the disposition of a persons caches in the event of their untimely demise. Sort of a sarcastic bit of humor but still true none the less. I don't think it will matter much to me after I am gone.

This probably strays too far from the topic, but I don't want to start another thread for it. Do we know if Groundspeak will honor such a request? How would they know that report of your demise, timely or otherwise, is true?

I added that after the subject came up about the disposition of a persons caches in the event of their untimely demise. Sort of a sarcastic bit of humor but still true none the less. I don't think it will matter much to me after I am gone.

This probably strays too far from the topic, but I don't want to start another thread for it. Do we know if Groundspeak will honor such a request? How would they know that report of your demise, timely or otherwise, is true?

I have no idea what GS would do. But at that point it won't be my problem anyway. :rolleyes:

Good. It wasn't all that sincere.

So. How's the weather where you are?

:unsure:

(or timely demise depending on your point of view)

:huh::D<_<

What are you saying there pal? I am beginning to wonder if you have had all your shots?

Just that I am enjoying your sense of humor. But yeah... it is probably because I missed a shot or two. I think I'm gonna go take 'em now. Tequila, most likely.