Death of a Cacher

Maxwell Q

I have been doing some looking around, and I do not think any of his family caches. I know his phone number was on Facebook, but I have thought of calling it to see if one of his daughters answers it.

I have been in contact with our local reviewer, and he has told me to contact the family as well. I will post my results when I find them out.

Thanks,

Maxwell Q

Please keep in mind that if a geocachers caches are adopted out to others they disappear from his profile page, as if he never contributed any hides to the community at all.

For that reason, when a geocacher in our area passed away they stayed listed under his name, and friends informally continued to maintain them in his memory.

~erik~

Please keep in mind that if a geocachers caches are adopted out to others they disappear from his profile page, as if he never contributed any hides to the community at all.

For that reason, when a geocacher in our area passed away they stayed listed under his name, and friends informally continued to maintain them in his memory.

~erik~

I was not aware that was a hard and fast rule. I have seen caches adopted, and the new owner chose to leave the page the same with the exception of adding: "a cache by XYZcacher-adopted by abccacher" This was adoption between two living parties.

edit to add- the log remained intact from its inception and publish date.

see GCQYT0 GCQYT1

GCQYRZ GCQYRT

GCR79Q

edit- a search under the original (hider) user name does NOT show these caches. I learned something!!!!! TY erik for pointing that out to me!!!!

Edited by NeecesandNephews

~erik~

I have seen caches adopted, and the new owner chose to leave the page the same with the exception of adding: "a cache by XYZcacher-adopted by abccacher" This was adoption between two living parties.

that is what the CO name becomes automatically once adoption is complete, its not generated by the users

Here's what GC says about the issue:

Thanks for writing to us. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. We do appreciate your desire to help adopt his caches to continue his spirit in the geocaching community.

In order to adopt his caches, please have a family member contact us with their permission and the GC codes of the cache. I will be happy to help.

In this case, the geocacher's family probably logged under his email account, so until they check his email, they won't know of the need to contact anyone.

I have seen caches adopted, and the new owner chose to leave the page the same with the exception of adding: "a cache by XYZcacher-adopted by abccacher" This was adoption between two living parties.

that is what the CO name becomes automatically once adoption is complete, its not generated by the users

Is that new then? It's not what happened previously when I've adopted caches..

Here's what GC says about the issue:

Thanks for writing to us. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. We do appreciate your desire to help adopt his caches to continue his spirit in the geocaching community.

In order to adopt his caches, please have a family member contact us with their permission and the GC codes of the cache. I will be happy to help.

In this case, the geocacher's family probably logged under his email account, so until they check his email, they won't know of the need to contact anyone.

It's a sensable answer from Groundspeak.

Is that new then? It's not what happened previously when I've adopted caches..

Yes its a newer thing. Not exactly sure when it was added, might have been a couple years now. But hasn't always been automatically added.