Yuck... I hate trash!

Several days ago, before I had purchased my GPS device, I was looking through a couple cache descriptions, and one mentioned it was in an obscure park, at a historic site. I thought, "Bingo! The cache must be at that limestone kiln I've always passed by!" It's right on the side of the road in the Maryland suburbs, and it's interesting to read about when you stop to read the sign next to it. In the past, limestone was heated up in this kiln, where it would then turn into a powder. This powder would be used to "sweeten" the soil in the fields, supposedly promoting better growth of crops. At least that's what the sign says icon_biggrin.gif

The kiln has been about half filled in with dirt, and I decided to take a peek inside to see if the cache was hidden within (I thought it would be neat to find my first cache without a GPS device icon_smile.gif I look within, only to see disgusting garbage. icon_mad.gif I wasn't so much disappointed in not finding the cache, as I was to see the litter strewn inside the kiln. It's the same for the rest of the park: litter EVERYWHERE. I mean, this is a part of our history, guys, let's not throw a BAR-B-Q potato chips bag in there!!

So, my solemn vow is to make a cache in this area, and, while I'm at it, clean out that limestone kiln. I think it's the least I can do for mother nature and for our local history icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
So, my solemn vow is to make a cache in this area, and, while I'm at it, clean out that limestone kiln. I think it's the least I can do for mother nature and for our local history

Good for you! The world needs more people like you to take care of our environment. But please, don't be diheartened when the trash comes back again - sadly it will.

quote:
go for it fenrirWolf... one person cleaning one spot is all it takes to make the world a better place.

Indeed it does. Unfortunately it only takes one person (and a large number of BAR-B-Q potato chips bags) to mess it all up again. icon_rolleyes.gif

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif