Geocaching with the Oregon 550

G & C

I'm starting to get warmed up to my new Oregon 550, and I took it out on the trail today to test it out in a little more detail. There were a few geocaches in the vicinity, so I went after them. All worked fine, but I'm finding myself doing a LOT of switching screens between the geocache screen, the map screen, and the compass screen.

I remember reading here somewhere that a few people had preferences on which screen to use while geocaching and why, but I can't find that thread for the life of me. So, Oregon users, which screens do you guys prefer, and do you do a lot of switching back and forth as well? Or is there a way to consolidate a lot of this info onto one screen like my Colorado did?

With one of the newer firmwares (I forget which one) Use the Trip Computer Icon. One of the modes on this is Geocaching. Works Great. When you are in the Trip Computer section, down on the bottom right next to the box with the two 6's is a box that looks like a 3/4 full battery icon. touch that and select geocaching.

I'm starting to get warmed up to my new Oregon 550, and I took it out on the trail today to test it out in a little more detail. There were a few geocaches in the vicinity, so I went after them. All worked fine, but I'm finding myself doing a LOT of switching screens between the geocache screen, the map screen, and the compass screen.

I remember reading here somewhere that a few people had preferences on which screen to use while geocaching and why, but I can't find that thread for the life of me. So, Oregon users, which screens do you guys prefer, and do you do a lot of switching back and forth as well? Or is there a way to consolidate a lot of this info onto one screen like my Colorado did?

You need to look into the Oregon's Dashboard feature.

The new dashboards are pretty nice. I especially like the geocaching-active one. When you touch the geocache symbol, it takes you directly to the geocache description. One nice improvement would be that if you touch the small compass, it would take you to the compass screen.

map_geocache.JPG

Edited by ClubMCR

The new dashboards are pretty nice. I especially like the geocaching-active one. When you touch the geocache symbol, it takes you directly to the geocache description. One nice improvement would be that if you touch the small compass, it would take you to the compass screen.

map_geocache.JPG

That's the one I use also. Very easy to navigate to the cache pages and you have the compass on the map.

Setup - Map - Data Fields - Dashboard - Geocaching Active

Fantastic. Turns out I hadn't found it because I didn't have the latest upgrades installed yet. Took care of that, and there it was. Thanks a lot!

Does anyone know if the Colorado has a similar screen available via firmware upgrades?

map_geocache.JPG

I use the same. I agree with your wishlist too - touching the small compass to take you to the compass dashboard would be great!

Setup - Map - Data Fields - Dashboard - Geocaching Active

Fantastic. Turns out I hadn't found it because I didn't have the latest upgrades installed yet. Took care of that, and there it was. Thanks a lot!

Does anyone know if the Colorado has a similar screen available via firmware upgrades?

AFAIK, the Colorado has always had the following three screens available:

slide0070_image032.pngslide0070_image034.pngslide0070_image036.png

After selecting a geocache from the list you should be on the 1st screen, use the Up/Down action of the Rock 'n Roll wheel to switch to the other views. Pressing the [Enter] (center of the Rock 'n Roll wheel) while you're on any of these screens will bring up another related screen (e.g. the 1st will display the description, the 2nd will display a full-screen compass, the 3rd will display a full-screen map).